Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

DirectX9 with Geforce2 MX.....HELP!!!!!!!!

Hi, i've recently installed DirectX 9a (only because i thought it might improve my frame rates) and have not yet been able to use FS2002!!!:-fumeMy frame rates have dropped down below 7fps (i used to get 15-24) AND i get some flickering on the screen. I thought a problem might have been my video drivers, so i downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA V43.45 which apparently supports my GeForce2 MX. Once installed (and removed old drivers) i tried MSFS02 again. This time not only were my frame rates low (this time 4fps), and screen flickered; Meigs field and my little Cessna were surrounded by HUGE triangles and squares and funny lines all over the place. I cant fly like this!!So...to fix this i used some cool little program to remove DX9a and install DX8.1, and changed back to my original drivers and.....still didn't work!! so i re-installed FS2002 and it worked; untill i changed screen resolution from 800X600 to 1024X768 both X16 and X32.I changed them back to 800X600 but still no good!!My OS is Win2000 ( could this be a problem? i hope not because it beats Win Me and i don't wanna go back!!) Th only option im thinking that could help is re-installing Win2000 but i really don't want to, i've got too much to back up and very little time!!I 'm also aware that my little battler (Geforce2MX) is gettin a little old and i need to upgrade.....I will very soon, just waiting to save up a little more and upgrade the entire system.Please help me!! Thank you in advanced :-beerchugElChe :-newbie

I'd recommend that you get Windows XP as your operating system,too. It's probably the most stable operating system since Win98. One significant acvantage is that you can do a system restore meaning if something screws up your system, you can restore it to a previous setup with just the press of a key.Ray

hey RayYep, i've thought of XP. I might get that when i get the new system.I don't know how accurate this might be but i've heard that FS2002 has problems with XP??? :-hmmmwhat is the difference between XP home version academic or professional ??ElChe :-outta

Very Inaccurate, fs2002 performs very smooth with WinXP!DirectX9.0a shouldn't have caused a problem with your system unless it didn't install properly. You graphics card will only use the directX files it is capable of using.Did you use the directX diagnostic after installing the update or after you reinstalled 8.1. If not, press start, run, type dxdiag, let it stabilize, and then test each directx function on each tab.Some of your problems may be due to the 43.45 drivers. I have noted quite a few post complaining of problems with these drivers.Since I don't have Win2000 experience, I don't know the proper way to remove drivers from your system. I would expect that using the Win98/ME procedure should clean them. This is the way I would proceed:Open the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs menu, uninstall the NVidia Win2000/XP Display Drivers. Reboot the computer manually, if it doesn't request a reboot. Once the system is rebooted, check what drivers are being used. For WinXP, it installs the default drivers. If Win2000 installs the default drivers, then you are set to install the new drivers.Your choice now is whether to install DirectX9.0a before you update drivers or wait until you update the drivers. I recommend updating DirectX first, then the drivers. I also recommend testing directx prior to updating the graphics drivers and after updating the graphics drivers or any drivers for that matter.Lastly, have you updated your controller chips and disk drive drivers, i.e., Intel, VIA, SiS, AMD, ALi? If not, you may want to ensure your are using the updated drivers to match the later graphics card drivers.

I've tried all that and now i'm missing DDRAWEX.DLL and i cant enable Direct3d Acceleration or AGP Texture Acceleration. Dxdiag says to reinstall directx to repair this problem, but it doesn't work. I've installed it several times and nothing. I've also changed drivers to the originals and some newer ones (not the lates). I've also (longshot) grabbed the DDRAWEX.DLL file from the WIN2000 CD and placed it in the System32 folder in windows but it still doesn't recognise it!!!

I had this problem when i first build my machine i turned on or off texture and lighting in fs2002 and that seemed to fix it sorry for the crappy typing as i am very very tired.

You seem to have a unique problem, since ddrawex.dll is a DirectX file and should be installable with a complete new installation of DirectX. You might try downloading the complete directx from Microsoft and run it locally vice the update.If you added the ddrawex.dll from your Win2k CD, it would probably be an older version but should show up in the list as be outdated.