Sign in to follow this  
Guest swanrunner

Windows 7 Beta

Guest swanrunner

Ryan talked about the good feedback of the new Windows 7 OS in the video card thread. Sounds like maybe we have the solution to the great blunder called Vista. It is supposed to be much less resource intensive than Vista. I know it is much too soon to say if we can say good by to OOEM and application crashes but one can only hope. Would like to hear if anyone decides to give it a try with FSX and PMDG aircraft. I may be willing to give it a shot on my gaming drive. John

Ryan talked about the good feedback of the new Windows 7 OS in the video card thread. Sounds like maybe we have the solution to the great blunder called Vista. It is supposed to be much less resource intensive than Vista. I know it is much too soon to say if we can say good by to OOEM and application crashes but one can only hope. Would like to hear if anyone decides to give it a try with FSX and PMDG aircraft. I may be willing to give it a shot on my gaming drive. John
JohnNo chance mate :( XP, FS9 and MD-11, etc running just fine :( But if you want to let us know how it all goes, I'd be interested to hear.Best of luck ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Well, I gave it a go. If what I experienced over the past 12 hours with Windows 7 is any indication of what desk top computing is going to be like in the future, I'm not in. What a pain in the &@($*! Now I know what you Vista guys must be/have been going through.I've never used Vista due to all the horror stories with the "system security" crap, but I can't imagine it has improved with Win 7. Freaking horrible. I activated FSX 5 times, all after "successful activations", due to some file protection that prevented FSX activation from changing a file.But more importantly, I couldn't get the PMGD MD11 Installer to work due to some "exception error". The only reason I went through this was to see if a 64 bit os was my answer to the OOM issues I have with the MD11, Rex and runway 31 at FS Dream Team's JFK combination. ...Does Vista write protect every file from every program you install? I couldn't believe what I was seeing with WIn7, when I looked at the directories I noticed all of my installed programs, and files contained within, were given read only attributes.I'll try Win XP 64.Ken

Before everyone gets too angsty about Windows 7, remember that it isn't even close to production yet, and is likely a ridiculous mess of bugs. I'm guessing a lot of this will clear up later on.-stefan

Well I guess my experience has been different. First Windows 7 doesn't "write protect" the files, but you must have administrative privileges, aka UAC. So if you run the installer as an admin both the MD-11 and FSX will install and activate just fine. And as has been previously stated this is a beta one version, so there will be fit and functionality issues. This beta is far more stable and reliable than the vista beta one or longhorn beta one ever where. In addition is has a much smaller footprint memory wise, 64 bit Vista Ultimate on my quad with 4 GB ram is using 1.3 GB, Windows 7 same machine and software config is using around 400 MB ram. Again it is a beta and your experience may differ, but I'd suggest you learn Vista or a the very least read up on UAC before you pass judgment. No offense intended.Brad Raulston

Guest GAMER
JohnNo chance mate :( XP, FS9 and MD-11, etc running just fine :( But if you want to let us know how it all goes, I'd be interested to hear.Best of luck ;-)
I think that is the best combo, I won't be too surprised when people discover that Windows 7 is really warmed over Vista.Michael P.

OMG!!!!It's beautiful! After completely thrashing the WIN7 64 Beta and almost giving up on it, I pulled up my sleeves did some homework and then did a complete reinstall.FSX and the PMDG MD11 installed without a fuss.I've never seen the MD11 (we'll load the 747 later) in such a spectacularly realistic light! The textures and lighting are just ....well,,, WOW!See this is why we sign our post with our real name. vbgAnyway, the big test tonite; the MD11, Rex and JFK 31r from KORDFor reference:Ive never used Vista so I can't compareHave only used FSX with XP Home for my flight simming careerSystem spex:e84004 gigs ram -will install 2 additional gigs tonite 8800GTS 640I'm keeping it (Win7 64) :-)

Guest GAMER
OMG!!!!It's beautiful! After completely thrashing the WIN7 64 Beta and almost giving up on it, I pulled up my sleeves did some homework and then did a complete reinstall.FSX and the PMDG MD11 installed without a fuss.I've never seen the MD11 (we'll load the 747 later) in such a spectacularly realistic light! The textures and lighting are just ....well,,, WOW!See this is why we sign our post with our real name. vbgAnyway, the big test tonite; the MD11, Rex and JFK 31r from KORDFor reference:Ive never used Vista so I can't compareHave only used FSX with XP Home for my flight simming careerSystem spex:e84004 gigs ram -will install 2 additional gigs tonite 8800GTS 640I'm keeping it (Win7 64) :-)
It is cool that it works on am XP machine, how many gigs of ram does Windows 7 require?

I'm going to be installing Win7 x64 in the next few days (partly because I want to see it and partly because I want a jump on testing our stuff for compatibility...)Please do not judge the OS based on a beta - it's supposed to have bugs, they're at least 6 months from retail release probably right now. Do NOT expect everything to work right. One thing you're gonna want to do for sure probably is turn off UAC (should be in Users unless they removed it) - that'll eliminate the security prompt crap etc. It's good for protecting the average user, but gamers/simmers aren't gonna need it as long as you know what you're doing and run antivirus/antispyware.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest GAMER

I have high hopes for Windows 7 as Vista for gaming doesn't seem to work as well as XP, but sadly XP's days are numbered, because Microshaft needs a new reason to put out a OS to keep the money coming in. I think XP works just fine, but change is a constant, so I hope this new OS is better for gaming.Michael P.

Passed with flying colors!Performance -non scientific- has got to be double of what I was getting with XP home ....with the exact same hardware! OBW, Load times are at least twice as fast! And I have the Win7 64 installed on a single drive! My Xp is installed on a raid 0!!!!Md11, Rex with FS Dream Team's JFX was smooth as silk! With fsx settings at twice the load I ran on XP and water at 2x hi -vs the 1x hi on XP, I am getting the same frame rate. But wait! There's more! The whole darn airport loads into memory, with all of NY in it's glory in background!I strongly encourage all of you who demand alot from FSX, including those of you running Vista 64 (a buddy of mine has Vista 64, and he reports the same performance and stability gains) to get a new drive and install Win 7 64! XP users ...make sure you disable that UAC feature within Win7 before installing anything ...big problems if you don't! :-(

Guest GAMER
Passed with flying colors!Performance -non scientific- has got to be double of what I was getting with XP home ....with the exact same hardware! OBW, Load times are at least twice as fast! And I have the Win7 64 installed on a single drive! My Xp is installed on a raid 0!!!!Md11, Rex with FS Dream Team's JFX was smooth as silk! With fsx settings at twice the load I ran on XP and water at 2x hi, I am getting the same frame rate. But wait! There's more! The whole darn airport loads into memory, with all of NY in it's glory in background!I strongly encourage all of you who demand alot from FSX, including those of you running Vista 64 (a buddy of mine has Vista 64, and he reports the same performance and stability gains) to get a new drive and install Win 7 64! XP users ...make sure you disable that UAC feature within Win7 before installing anything ...big problems if you don't! :-(
Sounds like Windows 7 fixes Vista and out performs XP, maybe there is hope after all. I was starting to lose faith in Microsoft thinking they could really care less about it's customer needs.Michael P.

Gamer,I have a friend who works at Microsoft, Seattle, he tells me that MS has the A team from MS Office on this project. Another poster mentioned that Win7 was just a warmed over version of Vista, well -according to my source, he's be mostly right. Basically what this new team is doing is cleaning up the mess that the previous Vista team left behind.Rumor has it that the former Vista team is now at Apple, Cupertino. <----- I have not been able to verify this. :-)signed,Ken

Sounds like Windows 7 fixes Vista and out performs XP, maybe there is hope after all. I was starting to lose faith in Microsoft thinking they could really care less about it's customer needs.Michael P.

Rumor has it that the former Vista team is now at Apple, Cupertino. <----- I have not been able to verify this.
Not true... MY sources tell me that the former Vista team has been temporarily transferred to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where they will do internships aboard a Fisheries Factory Ship cleaning Dungeness Crab, Flounder, Salmon and other bits and bobs, learning the in's and out's of the trade in preparation for the next ACE's release; PRO FISHERMAN - The Series. Subtitled: "Where deveining shrimp reaches an art form".

Not true... MY sources tell me that the former Vista team has been temporarily transferred to Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where they will do internships aboard a Fisheries Factory Ship cleaning Dungeness Crab, Flounder, Salmon and other bits and bobs, learning the in's and out's of the trade in preparation for the next ACE's release; PRO FISHERMAN - The Series. Subtitled: "Where deveining shrimp reaches an art form".
And Dutch Harbor is such a fantastic place to be this time of year :(

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888