Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Changed from GF4TI4600 to Radeon 9700Pro - bad idea!

Guest gasebah

I did the change as obviously my GF4Ti is damaged. It has done strange things sometimes lately.Well the Radeon seems to be a little faster when you throw those quality settings against it. The picture seems to be a lot calmer, a lot less shimmering and floating. Just what I expected.But!!!!!!:When I am moving around airports (taxiing) the fps break together in a ridiculous way. I have maybe half the fps in busy airports than I had with the GF4Ti. That is ridiculous. The card seems to run o.k. during benchmarking. Settings are FSAA 2x AF 8x.The textures stuff is maxed.Am I missing something here? Drivers are Catalyst 3.1.I am extremely disappointed. I want my GF back :-(.Alex

Did you re-create the FS2002.cfg file. Did you run Detonator RIP to remove all traces of the old Nvidia drivers? Did you optimise your BIOS for the new card? Have you tried the Catalyst 3.2 drivers?ChasW

Guest gasebah

Did you re-create the FS2002.cfg file.No, god forbid. I have 1111 differt joystick settings for my home cockpit. I do not want to go through all this again.Did you run Detonator RIP to remove all traces of the old Nvidia drivers?LOL. No I cannot as I have a Nvidia TNT running as secondary PCI card.Did you optimise your BIOS for the new card?When u ask : Did you enable 8xAGP, yes I did. Other than that what should I do? Play around witht he Aperture Size?Have you tried the Catalyst 3.2 drivers?Yes the problem is when I install them I get the contol panel only for the primary monitor. But I have to change theorientation of the 2nd display for my home cockpit.Alex

Radeon + TNT in same box = Very Bad Idea.Almost certainly the two sets of drivers are interfering with one another.The FS2002.cfg recreation is easy - rename the existing .cfg then reboot. The new .cfg is created with default settings. Shut down the sim. Open the FS2002.cfg newly created and copy over the video card settings (and just those for the new card) to the old fs2002.cfg. Finally, delete the fresh fs2002.cfg and rename the old FS2002.cfg. It's a known issue that FS sometimes won't recognise a new card without a fresh installation. This shortcut avoids the need for the fresh installation. If you can't or won't do that, then I rather suspect you're SOL. But I think that you are anyway...I can't see how changing AGP settings is going to get AA working, and I can't see how you can optimise the BIOS for the Radeon card without causing trouble for the TNT in the PCI slot.Perhaps a dedicated Radeon board might have some tips for you as to how to run an ATi and non-ATi card on the same system.ChasW

I too have moved from Ti4600 to AIW9700 pro, and dont regret it at all, there is just no comparison. FS2002 run great on my rig, so there must be something wrong with your configuration. Dont give up, once you get it running you will be glad you bought it.CarlosXp2100+768 Hign performance pc133 Win xp proAIW9700 pro (Omega cat 3.2)

Wait untill FPSFREAK gets here, he knows alot about his radeon 9700!

Guest FPSFREAK

Thanks Shane...LoL Your best bet is to start from scratch. Using add and remove programs, remove all your video card drivers. Both the ATI and the Nvidia. Before you begin the next steps,make sure you are running either the latest Intel Chipset Drivers or if the board is VIA based the latest 4.46 Hyperion Drivers. Likewise, if your running a new NForce board it is imperitive that you are running the latest chipset drivers. I hate to sound like a broken record but the fact is, almost 60% of Video card issues are based on bad chipset,driver installations or failure to update the MB bios. Just a note..The correct order of installation for any of the above is Bios update, DX update if needed, chipset update than drivers. And yes it does make a difference. Reboot the machine and let windows auto detect the cards. When the cards are finished being installed reboot. (The 9700 may or may not be detected. If it isn't don't worry). When the machine comes back up, using device manager, manually update the drivers. Update the 9700 Drivers first as this will be your primary display card. These entries will also be written to the registry first. When your done with the 9700 REBOOT. Now go in and MANUALLY install the updated drivers for the tnt card using device manager. When you have finished this geuss what......REBOOT. At this point you should be able to see a vast improvement in your framerates. Although you don't mention it what is the 2nd VC for?. You may find that although it may seem like an uneeded exspense, buying a 9500Pro for around $160 will surely put an end to driver conflicts and framerate issues. You may want to try using the Omega series drivers from www.Omegacorner.com for both cards. Although I may seem like the PR man for the site there is no denying the ability of these drivers to provide high performance framerates, beautiful image quality and fixes to many known bug issues.Hope this helps,Bobby

I know - you've gotten 250 recommendations so far and it is probably getting confusing. I have found the 9700 pro to be super, not only with FS2002, but other games as well. At any rate, I never got very god performance with ATI's 3.x series drivers, so I went to the 2.5's which I enjoyed with my old Radeon 8500 card and lo and behold, the card reached nirvana. Something you may want to try anyway - I've been super stable with the 2.5's now for quite a while.

Guest FPSFREAK

>I know - you've gotten 250 recommendations so far and it is >probably getting confusing. I have found the 9700 pro to be >super, not only with FS2002, but other games as well. At >any rate, I never got very god performance with ATI's 3.x >series drivers, so I went to the 2.5's which I enjoyed with >my old Radeon 8500 card and lo and behold, the card reached >nirvana. Something you may want to try anyway - I've been >super stable with the 2.5's now for quite a while. Travis, I know they say don't mess w a good thing. But if you would like to see a real difference in your image quality along w a slight performance gain try the latest Omega's. You will not regret it. They are actually Cat drivers but with all the issues and problems removed along w a few "REAL" noticeable performance and Image quality tweaks.Bobby

Man! I had FS2002 working dandy! I my partition decided to crash out and not open, so I had to format it, and it had FS2002 on it aswell, now we are stuttering again! and Norton did not fix it!! LOL

Guest gasebah

O.K. guys.thx fr yr help and ideas so far. I narrowed the problem down. Basically I do not think that there is a driver conflict at all as the system runs very stable and as with almost 15K 3dMark2001 points the card runs as fast as expected. Nevertheless I made a clean driver install just to make sure. As you might have suspected the Nvidia TNT card is a part of my home cockpit and I also have a 2nd monitor on the Radeon's DVI output.And that is exacty where the problem lies. The stuttering starts whenever there is considerable gauge movement on the monitor that i s connected to the DVI output. I was thinking it has something to do with being on the ground first but as a matter of fact it has nothing to do with it. Fact is that when taxiing I play a lot with the throttle which moves all the engine instruments. All the engine istruments are on the third monitor, result: stutters.Nothing on this monitor, result: blazing speed.Obviously the Radeon does not handle the 2nd monitor very well. Anyway, instead of tweakin around for hours I will buy another PCI card. That should solve the problem. Other than this problem I have to say that the Radeon is a lot better than the GF4. Textures update a lot faster, and the picture quality is so much better. With AA4x and AF8 I get the same fps that I got with the GF4 with no AA and AF4.Cheers,Alex

I suspect not that many are using the DVI outs, so you may be a trailblazer here. Welcome to the bleeding edge!!scott s..

Guest gasebah

Just in case anyone has the same problem using the DVI output I have solved it:Disable hardware acceleration for the 2nd monitor. That's all.WoooHOooo!! What a nice and fast card.Alex

How do you change settings for the 2nd monitor on it's own?On my card both outputs seem to share the same settings applet.