Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cristopher84

Compliments with a little disappointment

Guest Cristopher84

Dear PMDG Developement Team,after a quite far general look of your new product I'm here to express you my compliments for the excellent work you did creating this beautyful machine: the PMDG MD11. I looked the screens and read the forums, feeling an idea of perfection in simulation. I'm a fan of your products since the 737NG, and I'm always pleased with your releses.However, this time, deciding if to but or not your new product, I downloaded the MD11 manuals. When I used the 737 I was a young simmer, and did not noticed this missing. But now I'm a graduated airline pilot, looking for a professional add on where to make practice with some cockpit management issues such as preflight calculation or checklists. I thought to find this with the MD11, but reading the manuals I realised that on them are not inclued any kind of performance tables, just only the landing related tables. No planning, no takeoff performance, neither runway tables, no V speeds calculations, anything. The only method to get the Vspeeds, probably, seems to get them compiling the FMS such as in the 737. I think that the QRH and Emergency section are written well, but I also think that if an add on wants to outstand the standards of simulation, giving really much more to simmers and entusiasts, it should come with a good number of performance tables permitting some kind of operational considerations and not appear a "just compile the FMS and GO!" add on. For example, it seems that the MD11 has the adjustable takeoff setting, that's right? This is an extremly good thing, very realistic and professional. But there's no table giving me the chance to figure out when and why I should use flap 10 instead of flap 18 on that runway.I'm missing something? Is in the add on included any kind of performance calculation software? Are you planning to release a performance manual in the future? I hope you will consider this post as a positive critique, addressed to you with a very high consideration of the good work you did now and in the past, just to know if I'm wrong or if I'm right if you are planning to correct this missing or not, to make me easier the decision to get or not this high promising add on.Best RegardsFabio Piccinini

PMDG was not granted a release by Boeing to distribute performance tables (my understanding). The have their hands tied by terms and conditions.

Dan Downs KCRP

I agree with you but it's not PMDG's fault, for some reason Boeing thinks it's ok to release Data for there Flagship airliner yet hide data for a out of production aircraft?? I think maybe they signed a deal with MD not to release the data when they bought them out.. I dunno.Anyway yeah it sucks departing Quito (or any other airport) without knowing what the hell is going on, after spending so much time on the 744 with TOPCAT it seems like a major step backwards.Rob

Rob Prest

Guys,you're absolutely right and I'm full of hope we soon will get the performance data we need - either in the form of tables or a ready-to-use calculator. MD-11 for TOPCAT would be TOP :( There are some rumors on the major FS forums concerning the need for MD-11 performance data. And as far as I can see some serious simming guys are up and around to solve that.DZ

Yup. Along with Fuel Data... These are my only disappointment in this amazing add-on... I think calculating Fuel requirement for your flight only once in the cockpit with the FMCs is really NOT to PMDG's standard... Maybe another problem with Boeing? I hope TOPCAT will come this something sometimes soon...

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Don't know what else to say guys. Boeing did not grant permission for us to release the performance data - it's a complicated legal thing and it's not irrational from their perspective, we know that much. We tried multiple times with them and the answer was always no.The 747 was made before we had a working relationship with Boeing and the data that's in the manual isn't official and didn't come from them. On the MD-11 we had access to the real thing. Last I heard TOPCAT was working on something using unofficial data or via experimentation using our version - hopefully they'll have something soon.It is worth noting though that just having the charts doesn't allow you to calculate a truly realistic FLEX temp, fuel burn etc - it will get you a ballpark answer, but in real life these are very complex calculations that the dispatchers perform and give several options for to the pilots on the loadsheet. A whole lot of the parameters that go into the calculation aren't even simulated by MSFS.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

A ballpark answer is still better than nothing though... :(

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

PMDG can't provide anything, ballpark or exact. If they provide a ballpark answer, they're still doing it without a "clean room," so it would be a direct violation of the NDA and Boeing would either sue, or even worse, refuse to work with PMDG in the future. I haven't seen the specific NDA, but if it's like any other ones I've seen or signed, you wouldn't be able to give any sort of ballpark data since you have seen the real data and it would obviously influence your ballpark data.-stefan