Sign in to follow this  
Borsi

Warning sound "Autopilot off" when pushing Autoflight

Dear Friends,what a wonderful airplane we became with MD-11, many thanks that for !Using the Tutorial 1 and so I am pushing NAV and AUTOFLIGHT when on ground, on taxi or before. Using a full programmed route with Origin and Destination and everything necessary.After takeoff, on climb-out I push AUTOFLIGHT again at about 400ft AGL but then I become the warning sound "Autopilot off" ! So I have to push it again immediately to re-engage the AP. After that all goes fine.But my question is: Did I understand something wrong in the Tutorial 1 when pushing AUTOFLIGHT before takeoff ?!(Take a look at Tutorial 1, Page 20, under "Taxi procedures flow").I have tried to push only NAV and PROF before take-off and then push AUTOFLIGHT the first time after lift-off, but it did not work right !(But I have seen that in a Youtube Video of a real Martinair MD-11 doing so..!!?..strange..!..).Can someone help me to solve the problem with getting the sound A/P off after takeoff when pushing AUTOFLIGHT ?Thank you very much for any help!Boris, Switzerland

I noticed this too on my first flight after the update today. I had armed NAV and autoflight on the ground, and then hit autoflight at about 400 AGL. I got a red circle on the mode annunciator on the PFD and a loud aural warning until I hit autoflight again. I hadn't noticed this prior to the update (takeoff was about the only thing I could accomplish before my graphics went to hell)-stefan

Probably better to leave the autoflight until you've esablished on the route or at least until over 500ft - have had issues with disconnect if pressed too early when I started out.I usually wait until the gear is up at least, then it's fine, plus you get to manually fly the bird for a bit and it does fly so well :( John E

When lined up on the runway, push AUTOFLIGHT to arm the A/T. Once established in the climb, and ABOVE 400ft, you can push it again to engage the AP.

AP (when NAV is armed) will not engage below 400 AGL (with NAV not armed the limit is 100 AGL).If you press the AUTOFLIGHT below 400 AGL the AP disconnect warning will play (even though AP was not actually engaged) to warn you that although you have pressed the AUTOFLIGHT the AP has not engaged. A second press when you are above 400 AGL will engage the AP and silence the warning.What probably happened was that you hit the AUTOFLIGHT a bit below 400 AGL. Even if it was 399 AGL you would get the warning. Or maybe you were not watching the AGL but the altitude reading?

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

AP (when NAV is armed) will not engage below 400 AGL (with NAV not armed the limit is 100 AGL).If you press the AUTOFLIGHT below 400 AGL the AP disconnect warning will play (even though AP was not actually engaged) to warn you that although you have pressed the AUTOFLIGHT the AP has not engaged. A second press when you are above 400 AGL will engage the AP and silence the warning.What probably happened was that you hit the AUTOFLIGHT a bit below 400 AGL. Even if it was 399 AGL you would get the warning. Or maybe you were not watching the AGL but the altitude reading?
Hi Also try and keep the FD centered during climb out . Rich

ugcx_banner.png

Hello dear Michael. Thanks a lot for your answer. It might be that - because in the meantime I had successfull actions with no problems at all. Maybe I have tried to engage Autoflight at 399'..(!).All the best, Boris