Sign in to follow this  
northridge

MD11 - as light as a feather

Although I have yet to study the manuals and yet to use any of the flight-programming and yet to make a "proper" flight, one things strikes me immediately about the FS9 MD11, and that is how light on her feet (wings?) she is.I use CH hardware calibrated with FSUIPC, and using the same parameters as I use for the 737, 747 and a commercial 767, I am surprised at how quickly the aircraft responds to in-flight control input, and how there is no sensation of her size and weight - something very apparent with the 747.She also climbs like a rocketship! - reaching 10,000ft whilst I am still Track IR-ing around the flightdeck.Now, I fully accept that the way my MD11 "feels" is exactly the way she should feel and that it

Although I have yet to study the manuals and yet to use any of the flight-programming and yet to make a "proper" flight, one things strikes me immediately about the FS9 MD11, and that is how light on her feet (wings?) she is.I use CH hardware calibrated with FSUIPC, and using the same parameters as I use for the 737, 747 and a commercial 767, I am surprised at how quickly the aircraft responds to in-flight control input, and how there is no sensation of her size and weight - something very apparent with the 747.She also climbs like a rocketship! - reaching 10,000ft whilst I am still Track IR-ing around the flightdeck.Now, I fully accept that the way my MD11 "feels" is exactly the way she should feel and that it

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

The aircraft has (like all PMDG products) a facility to alter the ZFW...you are probably flying an empty aircraft with a low fuel load.Kind RegardsSteve Bell
I often get this feeling as well, even with the SP1 update. Now I understand that it feels much heavier when nearing a MTGW but it comparative percentages of load, referencing the Queen, full of passengers and cargo, but light on fuel, she takes off like a bloddy rocket. Where as, the Queen still feels sluggish with the same kind of relative loads.BTW, is flex TO working for anyone else, even after SP1? On an average day ~ 10 or 20 degees C, I keep inputing around 55 degress flex and she still uses only a portion of the takeoff rwy and v1 doesn't seem to increase that much. I can see the max-TO and climb EPR reduce in the ND as I raise the flex-temp, but she still rockets off the runway...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE