Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

FS9, still alive?

If you look at the user polls, a very large percentage of people are saying they still use FS9 as their primary sim.However, when I look at what my customers are ordering, the majority are buying FSX version products now.Hard to explain the contradiction.Cheers,
It's not a contradiction. You're not offering any new FS9 software. I have both sims on my computer, But I perfer FS9 at this point. What customers are ordering are mostly software that can be used in both sims. Smart developers know if they want to keep $$$ rolling in, they must do it that way. The only way I will purchase FSX addons is if there is a FS9 version also. I perfer Commercial and private jets in and out of major airports with sliders to the right. So FS9 is my preferance. FSX is excellent for low and slow sight seeing. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

So I've been away from FS world for a while, mostly due to having a PC from the stoneage. So I'm building a new box with i7 in it and some other goodies. Just wanted to check if a lot of you still choose FS9 over FSX with high end PC's? I have an option of going with either one, just can't make up my mind, never flew in FSX and I still hear negative opinions about it. Is it worth the frustration?To be honest I never even experienced FS9 to the fullest due to lack of proper hardware and I'm leaning more towards sticking with it.
Drumcode,If you fly "high and fast" then FS9 is the best. If you prefer "low and slow" then FSX is probably better.Having built what I considered a high-end PC 12 months ago I was disappointed in FSX performance. In comparison FS9 even with 3rd party complex airports like JFK or Heathrow are giving me frame rates of 30+ and 50+ in less complex areas is the norm. Finally the hardware has caught up with the software.I plan to stay with FS9 until Windows7 / FSXI is out and then consider my options. But given I fly the 737, 777 and Concorde I don't see any benefit in moving to FSX and the resultant frame drop down to 12 at EGLL is a major disappointment.Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

I'm still running FS9 too. I bought a computer last year specifically for running FS9 and the simulator. All I added was a decent video card and a second power supply to run it. Hardware for FS9 is cheaper than dirt and FS9 is still a good program.The last computer I had ran FS9 like a slide show if I was in a 3rd-party scenery area while flying the DF727.Hardware always seems to lag a new FS release and my system at the time was no different. I now have a system that can run FS9 to it's full potential with any add-on I fly to and under any conditions. And with those add-ons, it's difficult to tell from FSX in certain areas anyway.FS9 going to be flying on my simulator computers for a long time come.Cockpitphotos1017.jpg

Honestly I use both sims, I do I mainly use fs9 since there's alot of sceneys that wont work right in fsx and some other add ons. I fly my airliners in fs9 big airports big cities :( good frame rates. I like to use fsx for flying to places like Hawaii, and small islands, some missions, vfr, from time to time. since the ground textuers and montains look better. and fs9 with a huge list of add ons freeware and payware.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

I do have to admit, I am one of those people who has 3 separate hard drives...one for FS9, one for FSX and one for storage. However, I have tons of addons for FS9(aircraft and sceneries) and only 3 addon aircraft in FSX(no sceneries installed). I spend 95% of my sim time using FS9. Because many of the products out there cost so much $$ to popluate FSX, I decided to leave FSX alone until prices begin to come down. Sure, I am lured by the very nice wx generating programs for FSX like ASX, FEX,etc, but I won't pay the steep prices for them. Over time I have spent ALOT of $$ sprucing up FS9...hardware,software,etc, but I could easily double that price tag sprucing up FSX along with having a rig that would run it quite smoothly.

You bet it is alive. Very much so.Just got a new i7 rig with Vista 64 and FS9 was the first thing that went into it...I will get to FSX in month or so...when I get FS9 reconfigured the way I want it :-)At this point in time it would be : (IMHO)VFR - FSXIFR - FS9Heavy metal - FS9Complex scenery with lots of traffic - FS9Have fun. I certainly am. :-)

I have and run both, but keep coming back to FS9 as I've spent several hundred dollars on payware add-ons for it over the years and it makes FSX seem kinda bland without them.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

There's only about 3 things that I actually like of FSX over FS9-1) The high detail ground textures2) Moving traffic around the world3) Im still searching!Seriously, there's some nice things about it but for now FS9 is what I spend 95% of my time in using my full size LJ45 sim. It's just a much better performer and I feel much more like Im flying than with FSX which has some strange performace issues even with a great system that I just built 5 months ago.It's definately still alive and I am still buying stuff for it every few weeks software-wise.

You have a full scale LJ45 Sim?!?!?! Where's the screenies??? oh please-oh-please-oh please :(

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Hi Eric. Have you been thinking about a Builder of the Month?Glad to see you here.

If you look at the user polls, a very large percentage of people are saying they still use FS9 as their primary sim.However, when I look at what my customers are ordering, the majority are buying FSX version products now.Hard to explain the contradiction.Cheers,
Please tell me you were not serious when you made that statement? How can you compare sales this point in time for two sims, one of which has been out three/four years longer than the other. And which, I might add, has been milked just about dry as far as addons are concerned, by you as well. I think nobody can make a good comparison, unless they offer a new product that appeals to all kinds of people (see the earlier high fast vs. low slow), offered as two separate products. Because any dual platform release can't be counted one way or the other and there are many, thanks to the developers. But really, we don't have to go over this again.By now it should be clear that this 'transition' is unparalleled. And that FS9 is here to stay for a long time to come, unless MS delivers a miracle with FSXI. And I'm not all that optimistic. Areas such as AI management and ATC are 'legacy' (no interest at all in AI, no... Everybody's flying online, yeah...) features and will apparently not be improved. I hope MS will give third party devs the necessary tools and information to take over. But that too is unclear at the moment and it will take a while to implement anyway.Some people continue to play the hardware and performance card, but a lot of upgraders are staying with FS9. Not that they wouldn't be able to run FSX satisfactory, but because FSX just didn't turn out to be that much of an improvement from their point of view.So yeah, it's not only alive, but IT... IS... ALIVE! :(

Mike...