Sign in to follow this  
Flightsummer

Why did I (we) buy the MD-11?

I bought it after downloading and looking into the documentation. What I saw was very impressive! More than 1500 pages - that could become a real challenge... Than I had a deeper look into the tutorial flight - and that gave the impetus. For me this tutorial was the guarantee to get an easy access to such a complex simulation and to have immediately success. And now, after my first flight, I have to make a big compliment to the author: this tutorial is easy to understand, short, but very informative and it has a clean layout. Now I am gratefull to have this plane purchased. Thank you to all of the PMDG team, but especially to the author of this tutorial!Why did you buy the MD-11?

In my case 3 reasons joined together to finally convince me to buy:- a huge sentiment to the first demanding airliner addon I had yet in FS98: Alain Capt's MD-11 package- a longtime will to fly all the interesting Lufthansa Cargo routes from and to Frankfurt- the PMDG brand that leaves no doubt I'll be very busy in the cockpitBest regards,Rafal

Guest CL65 2B19

I purchased the airplane because:-PMDG made it -I thought it would help me learn more about the Mcd philosophy-Its a damn good looking airplane-Keeps me 'flying' while I am furloughedWhy I love the airplane:-It is very challenging yet tons of fun to fly-The flight dynamics seem to be very complex-It is a rocket even when fully loadedone of my favorite little 'easter eggs' in Md-11 is the flap rattling sound at flaps 50, I only discovered this when I put headphones on. TALK ABOUT DETAIL!!!!!Alessandro Dallago

Because my favorite long-hauler is the MD-11, both inside and out. The tri-jet configuration is always cool, whether it's a business jet or large commercial. The systems and automation is great, and I knew PMDG would model this the best. I wanted and had asked for an MD-11 before PMDG had announced it, so obviously I was gonna buy it. :(

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi,Why the MD-11 you ask,.......well,...because I like anything with three holes,...that flies. And it is a big plus if it has such beauty as the MD-11. :( :(

Staffan

Guest lgvpilot1

Well I am going to go out on a limb here , but I doubt very much that I will buy the MD11!! :( Now dont get me wrong , from what i have seen and what i have read the MD is a work of art on every level .I love my 747 , I love my Concorde , both can be a challenge to fly , and reading about the MD11 that seems to have the biggest learning curve of all .I have found you need to have a passion for something to give it your time and attention but unfortunatley for me I have none for the MD .I suppose the truth is I am a little bit envious of you that own and fly the MD , but I know that if I bought it it would end up in the hanger !!Enjoy people and well done PMDG :( Mark

....I suppose the truth is I am a little bit envious of you that own and fly the MD , but I know that if I bought it it would end up in the hanger !!Enjoy people and well done PMDG :( Mark
Hi Mark,thank you for your answer. To be honest, I believe that for me there is more than only one reason to buy the MD-11. A nother very strong one is surely the aspect to be able to manage such a complex simulation - and I think, when you like to fly the 747 and the Concorde, you also would like to rise this challenge - and nothing with hanger...

1. I work for KLM and wanted a good and complete MD-11 for a looooooong time, so I can fly realistically to the caribs :( 2. Because its PMDG'3. Strategic. Bought the combo so I could contribute to the FS9 marketshare, so PMDG finds it worthwhile to make the NGX for FS9 and perhaps the product after NGX as well.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Guest GAMER
I purchased the airplane because:-PMDG made it -I thought it would help me learn more about the Mcd philosophy-Its a damn good looking airplane-Keeps me 'flying' while I am furloughedWhy I love the airplane:-It is very challenging yet tons of fun to fly-The flight dynamics seem to be very complex-It is a rocket even when fully loadedone of my favorite little 'easter eggs' in Md-11 is the flap rattling sound at flaps 50, I only discovered this when I put headphones on. TALK ABOUT DETAIL!!!!!Alessandro Dallago
"It is a rocket even when fully loaded" that is a feature I'm glad that made it as I flew the real MD-11 sim and it is a rocket!Michael P.

I bought it because it was designed for FSX from the outset, rather than being ported from FS9. I haven't been disappointed - it is the best performing and most stable airliner sim in my hangar.Tom

Because Bill Grabowski was involved and I have a great deal of respect for his work. That does not detract from the hard work of the other PMDG members.Because it is a PMDG product and based on my complete satisfaction with the B744.Because I like MD-11s.Because I'm finding it a great mental exercise to learn a new way of flying, whilst still flying my B744, LDS B763, PT TU-154M and SDS Yak 40. Keeps the old grey matter working ;-)And because PMDG made an FS9 version.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I like the MD-11 because it is the most beautiful (together with the DC-10) aircraft ever seen.Sure I was (and still am) very happy PMDG was the one building this Princess of the Sky!So for me two main reasons.

Because of the level of sophistication. Because I've started to enjoy hauling freight. Because it allows me to do short hops in a widebody. Because I wanted to give back to PMDG for supporting the FS9 platform (I know for a fact this will be one of my least-used addons, since the MD11 is rarely seen travelling between the add-on sceneries I have installed, yes, I'm weird like that).

- Because I couldn't find a good Airbus. Honest! But now I am almost glad I could't find a good Airbus, because the MD-11 is absolutely awesome.- Because I wanted a brand new quality addon, not a souped up FS9 one.- Because I like things as realistic as possible. Just look at the ITVV MD-11 video's and you'll see how realistic the MD-11 is. It's the most realistic plane I've flown so far.- Because I like huge manuals. And btw what Flightsummer said: the tutorial is absolutely awesome. The best I have ever seen. Really, no kidding. All other tutorials I've had (for all kinds of planes) always lacked detail and specific information (simple basic things like when to turn on the lights). This tutorial gives it all. If the advanced tutorial will be of the same quality level, I'll be in FS-heaven. :(

Guest GAMER

First it is a PMDG product, so you can't go wrong there as what ever they touch turns to gold, they can't produce enough aircraft in my opinion.Second I worked on the MD-11 at Douglas and for many reasons it is my all time favorite airliner.PMDG didn't forget the FS9 captains and put forth the extra effort to produce an FS9 version too, I am a PMDG fan for life!Michael P.