Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Chairborne

Woohoo! I made a seating / cockpit arrangement!

I finally gave up and gave in: Flying FS2004 from a PC chair sucked. I'd been planning on doing something like this for eons and finally, being house-bound from the Great 2008/2009 Seattle Area MegaSnow and Flood, I did something: I made the seat platform I'd always wanted.The design was generally eyeballed, but required using a few basic measurements: Seating height, leg length, width of seat. After scrounging around my closets I found almost all necessary materials:1 Sheet of 5/8-inch CD plywood1 2x3 stud (Yes, they make 'em, or you can use 2x4)3 2x2 railsLots of sheetrock screws, primarily 1-1/2 inch, a few longer ones2 3/8x1-1/2 lag screws1 3/8x2-1/2 lag screw1 3/8x3 lag screw4 3/8 washers1 Nissan Pulsar driver's seat (Or any seat you prefer)THis took the better part of a day to make, but once done and the seat mounted, I positioned the platform to assess seat height and so on. My preliminary seat height was 2-1/2 inches too high, so out with the screwdriver and Sharktooth handsaw. Remedied in moments. I then refit the platform to the desk, fitted the rudder pedals, attached my Saitek switch panel, hooked it all up and took my Carenado 182RG from Everett, WA to Bellingham.This was my first flight with rudder pedals; I'd tried earlier, but the old way killed my back (I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia). This arrangement made it all feel like second nature! I quickly got the hang of the rudder for ground steering and yaw, and landing was a piece of cake. The rudder pedals and the switch panel all make this a phenomenally realistic experience.My eventual goal is to practise and work up to Light Sport (LSA) and make occasional flights. I want to get the experience here, then work up to dual in an LSA, fly off my time, get my cert so my dad and I can fly around occasionally. He misses flying since he surrendered his licence for diabetes. He's still in it, but it's just not the same if you're not up there, ya know?Anyway, this is my setup: I appreciate any observations, questions, etc., aside from the obvious observation that I'm a bit of a virtual hangar bum. Thanks!FS1.jpgFS3.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

All of that work and only ONE monitor? eheheheh Wood is great, and cheap to work with, Keep going. How about a console on the right side with some more buttons?Throttle_quad.JPG

I finally gave up and gave in: Flying FS2004 from a PC chair sucked. I'd been planning on doing something like this for eons and finally, being house-bound from the Great 2008/2009 Seattle Area MegaSnow and Flood, I did something: I made the seat platform I'd always wanted.The design was generally eyeballed, but required using a few basic measurements: Seating height, leg length, width of seat. After scrounging around my closets I found almost all necessary materials:1 Sheet of 5/8-inch CD plywood1 2x3 stud (Yes, they make 'em, or you can use 2x4)3 2x2 railsLots of sheetrock screws, primarily 1-1/2 inch, a few longer ones2 3/8x1-1/2 lag screws1 3/8x2-1/2 lag screw1 3/8x3 lag screw4 3/8 washers1 Nissan Pulsar driver's seat (Or any seat you prefer)THis took the better part of a day to make, but once done and the seat mounted, I positioned the platform to assess seat height and so on. My preliminary seat height was 2-1/2 inches too high, so out with the screwdriver and Sharktooth handsaw. Remedied in moments. I then refit the platform to the desk, fitted the rudder pedals, attached my Saitek switch panel, hooked it all up and took my Carenado 182RG from Everett, WA to Bellingham.This was my first flight with rudder pedals; I'd tried earlier, but the old way killed my back (I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia). This arrangement made it all feel like second nature! I quickly got the hang of the rudder for ground steering and yaw, and landing was a piece of cake. The rudder pedals and the switch panel all make this a phenomenally realistic experience.My eventual goal is to practise and work up to Light Sport (LSA) and make occasional flights. I want to get the experience here, then work up to dual in an LSA, fly off my time, get my cert so my dad and I can fly around occasionally. He misses flying since he surrendered his licence for diabetes. He's still in it, but it's just not the same if you're not up there, ya know?Anyway, this is my setup: I appreciate any observations, questions, etc., aside from the obvious observation that I'm a bit of a virtual hangar bum. Thanks!FS1.jpgFS3.jpg

All of that work and only ONE monitor?
I'm taking donations... :( One's all I need, works great. Thanks for the kudos!

Is that in the kitchen?
Close... in the main room, next to the galley :( , where the place tends to be the coolest (next to the fridge, eh?), right next to the only phone jacks in the place. That way, I can 'monitor' a pizza as it cooks and as I set up for descent and approach. Maybe this is a lit-tle too convenient?Oh...and no charge for the Cokes. :(

I would like to know how you made the throttle lever extensions for you CH quadrant. I'm using Saitek, but whatever you did, should wok for me.My flightdeck here; My flightdeckplease reply to jerryplotts AT yahoo.comThanks