Sign in to follow this  
Guest cuizinier

Fonts in VC - MD11 / FS9

Guest cuizinier

Hello,I just bought the FS9 version of the MD11 today and completed the tutorial flight. I am very Happy with the addon in general but I have a what look like an AA problem with the font and displays in the VC (the 2D panel and the AA is otherwise OK) : When I zoom out (0.75 and bellow) the writting on the buttons and also on the display become very ugly. I have the patched MD11 version installed (I downloaded today) and an ATI HD3850-256 with the latest catalyst drivers installed. AA is disabled in the sim and trilinear filtering is set. I use AA4x and AF16x in the video card drivers. I run at my screen native resolution (1680x1050). the Airplane display setting at set at their maximum level in FS.Is there a solution for this ?thanksJulienP.S I have found some other post about this problem but hardly any with a solution

Guest cuizinier

Thanks you leffe for the suggestion but as I bought the plane yesterday, I downloaded last version (I checked).In the meantime, I have tried several settings regarding font smoothing in windows (no font smoothing/standard font smoothing/ Clear type font smoothing) but it doesn't help. I also tried several settings in the catalyst driver (different filter/sample rate, with or without adaptative AA, temporal AA enabled/disabled, catalyst AI enabled/disabled, Vsync On/Off) but also without any improvement either. I read somewhere that windows XP only smooth font above a certain size. As the font size is very small on the buttons that have readabilty problem (for instance the VOR1 button ... see attachement) and as the problem is present at zoom level at or bellow 0.75 (I fly at 0.50), could this be the root of the problem ? is there a way to disable this ?looking carefully the same problem, but much less pronounced, is present on some button of the 747 MCP. see the attached file (100% crop of screenshots in the VC at 0,75 zoom level)above, the 747 . The SPD button is very clear, but is you look further away the CMD (or even the HOLD) you see the buttons become barely readable.bellow the MD-11. The rectangular back button are smaller and the label on them are even smaller. The text is barely readable even on the closest one.I did not notice it previously in the 747 VC as the contrast between the color of the font and the background is much lower.So it very much look like a problem without solution (beside increasing the button size and messing this otherwise magnificent VC) I would like to have the advice of PMDG support team about thisEven if I nitpick about this I congratulate the PMDG team for this wonderfull addon !cheersJulienP.S I have another question but as it concern something completely different I will make a new topic

Allright!You could however also try nHancer! Here

Guest cuizinier

Thanks again leffe, but nHancer is for nvidia card only. mine is an ATI :-)do you have similar problem in your VC ? does the font on the rectangular black button look the same (see the screen shot on my previous post)cheersJulien

Thanks again leffe, but nHancer is for nvidia card only. mine is an ATI :-)do you have similar problem in your VC ? does the font on the rectangular black button look the same (see the screen shot on my previous post)cheersJulien
Yes it looks similar to yours, when I make a screenshot too. However in the sim it looks much better.But you have right about small tiny white fonts on black buttons....that