Sign in to follow this  
Guest 5012SFG

FS9 and Dual/Quad Core Processors

Guest 5012SFG

Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed in the past, I was not able to turn up any results doing a forum search.I built my first PC last year and chose an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 ghz as my processor. Now I understand FS9 does not utilize more than a single core and there is no viable way to make it run on several cores at once. However, I do run a multitude of other programs in the background including but not limited to Active Sky, Smooth AI, and other flight-sim related software. When I check the processor core usage, Core 1 runs at 100% while the three remaining cores are not loaded past 2%. Would it be possible for me to assign FS9 to run on one of these "empty" cores (2,3, and 4) and let the other software run on another core? Would doing such improve overall performance at all? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about?I would appreciate any input anyone can offer and thank you in advance,-Sean

Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed in the past, I was not able to turn up any results doing a forum search.I built my first PC last year and chose an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 ghz as my processor. Now I understand FS9 does not utilize more than a single core and there is no viable way to make it run on several cores at once. However, I do run a multitude of other programs in the background including but not limited to Active Sky, Smooth AI, and other flight-sim related software. When I check the processor core usage, Core 1 runs at 100% while the three remaining cores are not loaded past 2%. Would it be possible for me to assign FS9 to run on one of these "empty" cores (2,3, and 4) and let the other software run on another core? Would doing such improve overall performance at all? Do I have any idea what I'm talking about?I would appreciate any input anyone can offer and thank you in advance,-Sean
You can try to offload FS-9 on another core and see the results. In Vista 64 you go to task mgr, right click fs9.exe, and choose "Set Affinity". Select the core you want it on. I know this works in the sense that if I scan the core temps, the core I select with warm by a few degrees C. while the first core cools off. I haven't noticed any performance difference, mostly because FS-9 is running so well on my new rig that I haven't seen a need to change things. It can't get any better :)Hope this helps, Regards,John

Guest 5012SFG
You can try to offload FS-9 on another core and see the results. In Vista 64 you go to task mgr, right click fs9.exe, and choose "Set Affinity". Select the core you want it on. I know this works in the sense that if I scan the core temps, the core I select with warm by a few degrees C. while the first core cools off. I haven't noticed any performance difference, mostly because FS-9 is running so well on my new rig that I haven't seen a need to change things. It can't get any better :)Hope this helps, Regards,John
Thanks for that information, I'll be sure and try that out next flight.-Sean

There was a program that did the one core FS9 the other the rest of the programs. Maybe someone here knows where it is.RH

There was a program that did the one core FS9 the other the rest of the programs. Maybe someone here knows where it is.RH
Ken Salter's Alacrity allows you to assign programs to specific cores. It replaced FSAutoStart. I'd recommend Alacrity to anyone, a fine piece of donation-ware software.http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ken Salter's Alacrity allows you to assign programs to specific cores. It replaced FSAutoStart. I'd recommend Alacrity to anyone, a fine piece of donation-ware software.http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/
RayHow do you do that with Alacrity? I've looked all over it and on the website 'How to use' section, but can find nothing about that. I agree that I've probably just been a bit stupid and missed something totally obvious, but if you'd be so good as to point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

RayHow do you do that with Alacrity? I've looked all over it and on the website 'How to use' section, but can find nothing about that. I agree that I've probably just been a bit stupid and missed something totally obvious, but if you'd be so good as to point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.
Gavin,Double-click your selected profile and click on the AutoStart tab. Double-click a program entry to bring up the options. You'll see two (or more on quad-core) icons for selecting the Affinity. Click the one you want to assign to the program (e.g. CPU0) and then click the other (CPU1) to disable it. When you close that window you should see the Affinity (CPU0) displayed against the selected program.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray go here to get the manualhttp://kensalter.com/download/alacritypc/usermanual.pdfHope this helpregards

Ray go here to get the manualhttp://kensalter.com/download/alacritypc/usermanual.pdfHope this helpregards
I think you meant to address that to Gavin. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Cheers Ray!

Gavin Barbara

Sorry Guys , yes it was Gavin, Regards :(
Thanks ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Gavin, how has Alacrity worked out for you? I am thinking about using it. I have a dual core Intel. When you load FS9 on one core and all of the rest on another, does it smooth things up a lot? I am running my CPU and FS9 under whatever default conditions there is. I get pauses at times when my weather clicks in (Active Sky) and would like to get rid of that pause. I suppose my question is if Alacrity will get rid of such pauses. Anyone else can answer as well.Thanks in advance!RH

Gavin, how has Alacrity worked out for you? I am thinking about using it. I have a dual core Intel. When you load FS9 on one core and all of the rest on another, does it smooth things up a lot? I am running my CPU and FS9 under whatever default conditions there is. I get pauses at times when my weather clicks in (Active Sky) and would like to get rid of that pause. I suppose my question is if Alacrity will get rid of such pauses. Anyone else can answer as well.Thanks in advance!RH
To be perfectly honest, I can't see any difference. But to be fair, things run pretty smoothly for me without using it.

Gavin Barbara

I know what I about to write is totally against the advice given here, but when I assign FS9 to either one of the cores on my X2 4800+, I get major stutters every couple of seconds. When I change FS9's affinity to both cores, I get nice smooth frame rates.