Sign in to follow this  
Guest 5012SFG

FS9 and Dual/Quad Core Processors

I see better Frames with dual core, then single core. As for Quad, I can't comment. For me, FS2004 runs on one core, and all the other crap (XP services, addons etc) run on the other core. With one core dedicated to fs9, and the other to deal with all the other junk, I have to say, I'm now living in heaven, flying FS2004 on a dual core system.I'm locked at 40 FPS, and it stays there. PPL say their is no difference between 30 FPS and above, well hogwash. I see a difference. I use to fly locked at 25 FPS, and now locked at 40 FPS, it

I see better Frames with dual core, then single core. As for Quad, I can't comment. For me, FS2004 runs on one core, and all the other crap (XP services, addons etc) run on the other core. With one core dedicated to fs9, and the other to deal with all the other junk, I have to say, I'm now living in heaven, flying FS2004 on a dual core system.I'm locked at 40 FPS, and it stays there. PPL say their is no difference between 30 FPS and above, well hogwash. I see a difference. I use to fly locked at 25 FPS, and now locked at 40 FPS, it

Just gonna throw 2 cents in here.Check this out http://www.mlin.net/SMPSeesaw.shtmlIt is a small utility that will isolate a given process on it's own core.
Do you use this? What's it like?

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I second that answer! Do you or anyone you know use this program with FS9 with a dual core processor. And, if so, does it show improvements in smoothness (no jecky movments when AV6 updates weather, for example)?

Guest Muskoka1

And another one that I personally use, easy to set-up, have FS9 as sole program on CPU 0 is Prifinitty (http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/SetAffinity/index.htm). I also use SmartClose and through it's menus I leave running what needs to be running, 18 processes when done. In PriFinitty you create a favourites list and assign the cores in this list. What I do is run SmartClose, 18 processes left, run PriFinitty (its actually in the notification tray...bottom right where the clock is...you know), see the 18 processes and select them all, move them to the favourites list and change to CORE 1. Run Weather-ASA, find it in the Prifinitty list, change it to CORE 1, run FS9, find it in the list, change it to CORE 0. When you look at the list in Prifinitty, you graphically see whats on what core and can change it on the fly, FS9 or FSX all by themselves on the core of your choice. I don't have the program automatically change the cores, there's a button top right for Auto Set, I use that when its time to fly. When your done flying, the cores will still be as you assigned them, so go in the list on the left and change them back, you can multiple select. I've only been using it for 2 days but both FS9 and FSX seem to be much smoother?? Mileage will vary. Any questions...ask. By the way I'am just an end user.FS9, ASA Weather, Radar Contact, Ultimate Terrain Can/Alask, FSGenesis Mesh Canada 76m, Ultimate Traffic minus Woai entries, Woai for CYYZ, all sliders right (no shadows, sun flare, lens flare or water effects) add on scenery for CYYZ, 155 aircraft listed when at CYYZ (traffic toolbox), locked at 24 fps, runs fine. ASA clouds set to 4 layers.PMDG MD-11 16-18 fps on takeoff, then settles down. Could move a few sliders to the left to compensate.....nah, not looking outside then anyways. Toshiba laptop, Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 gig ram, Nvidia GO 7600 256meg 180.70 drivers (modified inf), 19" seperate monitor 1280 x 1024 32bit, tweaked FS9 cfg.WinXP Home 32bit SP3FS9 - FSXGlen

Do you use this? What's it like?
I do use it and appreciate its simplicity. It presents a dialog listing running processes. Click on fs9.exe, selct "isolate on CPU1" and bam FS moves to the CPU1 box, everything else moves to CPU0 (except certain Windows processes that will always run on both). With Task Manager open you can see the results.I like it's small resource footprint and ease of operation. It's author is known for simple apps that do the job. I should have stated in my first reply I use SMP Seesaw which is for machines with 2 cores only. I have a P4 HT.If you run a quad he has a similar utility on the same page.It does seem to make FS run a little smoother, although my FS experience is never great based on the fact my video card is PCI (not PCIe).

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I do use it and appreciate its simplicity. It presents a dialog listing running processes. Click on fs9.exe, selct "isolate on CPU1" and bam FS moves to the CPU1 box, everything else moves to CPU0 (except certain Windows processes that will always run on both). With Task Manager open you can see the results.I like it's small resource footprint and ease of operation. It's author is known for simple apps that do the job. I should have stated in my first reply I use SMP Seesaw which is for machines with 2 cores only. I have a P4 HT.If you run a quad he has a similar utility on the same page.It does seem to make FS run a little smoother, although my FS experience is never great based on the fact my video card is PCI (not PCIe).
Thanks!

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

In all my trial and tribulations with FS9 over the years (well, ever since it came out), I have never experienced a significant increase in performance by changing FS9's affinity between various cores (I've got four of them to play around with on my current setup). If there is an improvement, it's not of a noticeable magnitude. As always though, YMMV.

Guest blazingcessna

Soory to drag this dead horse up, but it the closest thread to my question.Is there any way to get FS9 to use multiple cores? I am just getting around to reinstalling FS9 on my new Phenom II x4 based system, and I have been using FSX SP2. The wind issue has become too distracting to me as a real world pilot. It makes me wanna punch the screen every time it starts pulsing. I never had that issue with FS9, although a similar problem with the winds existed, but only while flying at high altitudes and speeds. Never had teh issue in a prop at 5000 feet. So I have to reinstall FS9 (not a overly fun proposition...), but I want it to use more than one core. Surely someone has an idea here... Current SystemAMD Phenom II 3.0GHz8GB OCZ Platinum PC8500MSI 9800GT-OC 512MBXP Pro 64bit

Guest aulb89

Long time reader here...For those wondering about quad cores and FS9:I am running FS9 on a Quad Core Intel 9650 without assigning cores to specific tasks. The CPU is probably overkill for FS9, but the sim runs flawlessly with all settings maxed, 100% Ultimate Traffic AI (all UT models replaced), Active Sky, payware aircraft (PMDG, LVLD), my VA's ACARS, AI Smooth and the most detailed payware airports including FSDT's JFK. I have the max frame rate locked at 40fps and it stays pegged with no blurries in all situations! :( You can't go wrong with multiple cores in my opinion.

I'm running fs9 with the E8500 intel duo. I've experimented by assigning fs9 and different add-on programs to different cores...there is no improvement from what I can tell, if anything..it made things worse. FS9 is not coded to use multi cores to its fullest ability...but I'm sure they dont hurt it.Just curious..what wind issue are you talking about?

Guest blazingcessna

While flying the FSX in VC the aircraft pulses to the constant wind change. For a split second the winds will change to 90 degrees or higher, wind speed will jump 30+kts. In FSX it happens every 3-4 seconds... In FS9 the change is longer on both ends and usually less severe. Also in FS9 it is not a constant. In FSX it is CONSTANT!!! I am running FSX SP2. Under Win XP Pro 64-bit SP2 (64-bit didn't get a SP3)

Dual core for FS9 is enough.Put FS9 on one core and all the rest on the other, stutterfree, maxed out fs.Dual core for FS9 is enough.Put FS9 on one core and all the rest on the other, stutterfree, maxed out fs.

While flying the FSX in VC the aircraft pulses to the constant wind change. For a split second the winds will change to 90 degrees or higher, wind speed will jump 30+kts. In FSX it happens every 3-4 seconds... In FS9 the change is longer on both ends and usually less severe. Also in FS9 it is not a constant. In FSX it is CONSTANT!!! I am running FSX SP2. Under Win XP Pro 64-bit SP2 (64-bit didn't get a SP3)
Have you tried ActiveSky for fs9? There are options for thermals, wind gusts, and general find variations. As long as you input the right settings into it, I feel there winds are much more realistic than default. This ofcourse is still far from the effect you get flying a real GA plane even in light wind, but still better. I have never tried FSX so I can't compare it to that.