Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lighthorse

Thermals

Guest Lighthorse

OK I'm confused.I was reading the ASA.pdfIt looks like the only way I can Have thermals is ifI go into Options and set up a thermal in a location ???????So there are no ridge lift or thermals.or am I missing the settings for this.Also what is Range? feet, miles ?? it shows 11 what.Or Should I run this with CumulusX.

Hi,Thermals are automatically generated in ASA so there are no settings that you need to make. I think there would be conflicts if you ran with CumulusX.If you want to see the thermals in FSX, you can turn that Option on in FSX.Thanks,

Guest Lighthorse
Hi,Thermals are automatically generated in ASA so there are no settings that you need to make. I think there would be conflicts if you ran with CumulusX.If you want to see the thermals in FSX, you can turn that Option on in FSX.Thanks,
FSX will Generate them, in the doc for ASA it shows under Options/Thermals that I need to assign LON/LAT coordinates fore each thermal.I did not see anything on setting it to auto generate, also will ASA create Ridge lift? In the thermal settings it says, Range 1, 1 what? Is it a mile, a foot?I am seriously thinking of buying ASA but I get no response from HiFi. There is no demo, so I do not want to buy something elsethat's not going to work properly.

FSX will Generate them, in the doc for ASA it shows under Options/Thermals that I need to assign LON/LAT coordinates fore each thermal.I did not see anything on setting it to auto generate, also will ASA create Ridge lift? In the thermal settings it says, Range 1, 1 what? Is it a mile, a foot?I am seriously thinking of buying ASA but I get no response from HiFi. There is no demo, so I do not want to buy something elsethat's not going to work properly.
Hi,There are two kinds of thermals/drafts:- Automatically Generated (use the option sliders, Wind category, to adjust the frequency and strength). Thermals are based on temperature, and Drafts are based on wind speed/direction and terrain slope trend.- Manually Added. This is what you can set in the options/thermals tab. When you click the Create button it will add at your present lat/lon with default parameters. You can then adjust the items as required, including adjusting Lat/Lon if required. Range is based in nautical miles.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Lighthorse

OK ThanksThat explains more I'll reread wind settings.Is the Range the distance the thermal will travel or the diameter of the thermal?I think I'll get ASA.

Hi,There are two kinds of thermals/drafts:- Automatically Generated (use the option sliders, Wind category, to adjust the frequency and strength). Thermals are based on temperature, and Drafts are based on wind speed/direction and terrain slope trend.- Manually Added. This is what you can set in the options/thermals tab. When you click the Create button it will add at your present lat/lon with default parameters. You can then adjust the items as required, including adjusting Lat/Lon if required. Range is based in nautical miles.Best,

Hi,Thermals, once generated or specified, are 'fixed' and do not move, so the range specification is basically the diameter from the center of the thermal.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies