Sign in to follow this  
Plainplane

The Curse of the Computer

I originally built a top-of-the-line computer in April. I have rebuilt it four times since.After rebuild 3 the specs were:Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition1TB, 150GB, and 300GB Hard DrivesIntel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.2 GHz12GB OCZ DDR3 1333 RAMATI (MSI) Radeon HD 4870x2 OC EditionASUS Rampage II Extreme MotherboardThermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt Power SupplyI was having problems with the system not starting from a cold boot, and random rebooting in the Windows session. I ran MemTest and determined all of my RAM was good and ATITool to determine that my graphics card was good. I later found out that the cold boot issue was specific to the motherboard and I replaced it.Specs after rebuild 4:Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition1TB, 150GB, and 300GB Hard DrivesIntel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.2 GHz12GB OCZ DDR3 1333 RAMATI (MSI) Radeon HD 4870x2 OC EditionGigabyte EX58-UD5 MotherboardThermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt Power SupplyAfter I rebuilt the system Windows was having trouble installing and I was also having random freezing. I noticed that the Seagate 1TB drive was overheating and I ordered a replacement, which had the same issue. Then I ordered another replacement also having the same issue.I then purchased a Western Digital 1TB drive to replace the Seagate 1TB and I also replaced all of the SATA cables since the ones included with the motherboard were also defective.Now I just put my computer back together again, disconnected the 150 and 300GB drives, and reinstalled Windows onto a clean formatted hard drive. Now I am having the random rebooting problem once again. When the system came back it said a serious error occurred, but when I was beginning to write down the files involved once again it randomly cut out and rebooted.What should I do to fix this? I am absolutely stumped at this point and I want to use it for FS already.

I notice youre using 12Gb RAM, so I'm assuming 3x4Gb sticks?. Looking on Crucial.com's website it says the Gigabyte mobo you are using can only take up to 3Gb per memory slot.http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts....%20(rev.%201.0)Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-8500,DDR3 PC3-10600,DDR3 PC3-12800,DDR3 PC3-14400 with a maximum of 3GB kit (1GBx3) per slot.**Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.Also the same with the Asus board you had: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Rampage%20II%20ExtremeIf that's not the issue I'd be looking at either a defective PSU or CPU.

No, I am using 6x2GB sticks, OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333.It would really stink if the i7 itself was defective. How can I test it?Also how can I test the PSU?

No, I am using 6x2GB sticks, OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333.It would really stink if the i7 itself was defective. How can I test it?Also how can I test the PSU?
Short of being able to connect the components into a friends or a test system, there's no real way to test them. You can get PSU testers, but thats just more money spent if the PSU turns out to be OK.You can do as you did with your other components and RMA one or both items I suppose and see if the ones you get back perform OK.How are your temps with the CPU, at idle and under load?Also, have you tried running the system with just 6Gb RAM to see if thats more stable?

I have the same rebooting issue with 1 stick in so it isn't the memory.CPU temp is about 53 degrees Celsius, I can't get it in a situation where it is under load, in fact the situation usually happens when I start to put a load on it.

I have reason to believe that the defect in the R2E, the cold boot flicker which also fried a cooling fan, may have damaged the i7 itself. There is no other possibility that I can see at this point. I will contact Newegg in the morning.

Are you ram voltages correct. Sometimes they are not detected correctly. My sons pc i put in 2X2gig sticks at 2.2 v. The pc detected them at 1.8 v 800mhz when they are 1066, soi changed the multiplier and it woked fine like that till i stuck in another 2 sticks exactly same type and got random reboots so i corrected the voltages and now all is fine. Dont understan it but thats just pc stuff.

Yes, in the BIOS the sticks are correctly detected at 1333MHz, with timings of 7-7-7-20 and 1.65v.

I have reason to believe that the defect in the R2E, the cold boot flicker which also fried a cooling fan, may have damaged the i7 itself. There is no other possibility that I can see at this point. I will contact Newegg in the morning.
Sounds plausible.

If you didn't, get Real Temp and check the temps again. 53

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I noticed the cooler was set on silent mode instead of performance mode however there is no difference, the problem is continuing.Idle temp is now 43 degrees Celsius.

I noticed the cooler was set on silent mode instead of performance mode however there is no difference, the problem is continuing.Idle temp is now 43 degrees Celsius.
Where are you getting those 43 from? Real Temp?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I just got and installed my replacement i7 today, and the computer now appears to work properly. :(