Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Gorgyporgy

IFR-Flights - Control Tower info

During IFR flight with the MSFS 2004, I frequently hear the tower say "current altimeter is 2992 feet". Could someone explain what this means???

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm pretty sure he does not say 'feet', but I think I know what you mean: he is simply telling you the barometric pressure that you should set your altimeter to. Your altimeter should have a knob and a little window where you can see and change the setting. You need to do that since the altimeter reacts to barometric pressure, but exactly that pressure changes over time. Once it changes, ATC would usually tell you.

Badderjet is correct. However, if flying above FL180 (18000 ft.) which is refered as 'transition' level, the barometric pressure must be set to 29.92, refered to as "standard", since all airliners must be on the same page so to speak, so no one is at an incorrect altidude due to a barometric setting reflecting a specific airport. So on descending from a higher altitude and passing 18000 ft. you would reset your altimeter to your arrival airports barometric pressure. If flying below 18000 ft. you can adjust your barometric pressure to the information received from the nearest airport's ATIS broadcast.Also, remember that different countries will have different transition levels, not all are at 18000 ft. This is a USA standard.Jim D.

Thanks for the addition, and if you don't want to set it manually, simply press "B", and FS will take care of the correct setting. :(