Sign in to follow this  
Andydigital

Forum slow

Hi has anyone else found the forum to be very slow lately, I've noticed its been pretty bad now for the last week almost, maybe more, it also doesn't matter what time of day it is. Does anyone else think the forum is getting a bit bloated with superfluous nik naks now and maybe this is the reason why things are so slow?When the forum switch first took place the forum speed was amazing for the first few weeks, now though things are getting that bad it rather irritating, it reminds me of the 90's and dial-up internet.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi has anyone else found the forum to be very slow lately, I've noticed its been pretty bad now for the last week almost, maybe more, it also doesn't matter what time of day it is. Does anyone else think the forum is getting a bit bloated with superfluous nik naks now and maybe this is the reason why things are so slow?When the forum switch first took place the forum speed was amazing for the first few weeks, now though things are getting that bad it rather irritating, it reminds me of the 90's and dial-up internet.
No "nik naks" have been added in the last week and a half and the period happens to coincide with the PMDG release of the MD11 for FS9. The "slowness" has to do with the numbers of people accessing the system, not adding functionality that you consider "bloat" and "superfluous".

OK thanks Tom and sorry for posting in the wrong section of the forum, I didn't even realise that this area was here.

Cheers, Andy.

I don't know if something else has been released, but right now the forum is taking minutes to load a page, then as many minutes to unload it. It's not just slow, it's positively crawling.Russell.

There is handy little timer at the bottom of each page telling you how long a page took to load as can be seen in my screen grab below. I wonder if the figure to the right of where I have highlighted is the CPU load, if it is then it doesn't seem to be a CPU load issue.time.jpg

Cheers, Andy.

There is handy little timer at the bottom of each page telling you how long a page took to load as can be seen in my screen grab below. I wonder if the figure to the right of where I have highlighted is the CPU load, if it is then it doesn't seem to be a CPU load issue.time.jpg
You guys are not the only ones that have noticed it. I'm in IT for a living and the Avsim forum pages have been consistently slow since the Microsoft announcement. The main page pops up instantly, with a 2 second delay for the forum, but selecting a page, changing a page or replying takes much longer. It was never this slow at any time that I can remember. She pings back with some 30 - 31ms, which is normal, but the page load time is now averaging around 30 seconds. Something seems to have changed, I think. Tom suggested to another poster (in another post) that he should perhaps donate some money for some horsepower..... Can I ask what servers you run, what the OS is, (I think some flavour of Linux) , and what bandwidth you have?Paul JToronto, Canada

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

No kidding, it is slow! She's on life support. I miss the old forum system. Functionality > fancy.Scott***EDIT*** As soon as I post, of course it speeds back up again. Seems normal for the moment. Just appears to have slow downs at random as of late....

There were only a few short periods yesterday (Sun 8 Feb) when it was useable.I assume your commercial customers are also trying to help out by pointing out this issue. I hate to complain because I use AVSIM extensively and don't pay you a nickel but from a long career in the telecommunciations business (before it became computerized) I know how valuable customer complaints are to identifying and isolating a problem.The quality of service since your upgrade has not been equal to that before, notwithstanding any increased traffic due to the Microsoft announcement and release of MD-11. I trust you are looking at your traffic loading and verifying that that is indeed a problem and not simply the (complex) set up of the new forum software.Sincerely hope it gets better. Thanks,

Dan Downs KCRP

cross.gif

The error returned was:
Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment
.+---------------------+

Yesterday was a particularly bad day. Here are some of the page load specs I was seeing... when i was able to get a page to fully... 29.7179 sec 51.40 8 queries 32.3749 sec 96.41 16 queries 332.5807 sec 72.82 16 queries Looks like high overall processor loads, but low query volumes on the message board itself.

And she's slower still today.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

And she's slower still today.
Actually, she's moving kind of up to her normal speed now. We removed some code that we thought might be gumming up the works, and it appears that helped. We also have had some server issues earlier today, which now are fixed.Paul, by the way, can you please remove one of your two sig images? Only one is allowed.

Tom, I've still been having problems loading the forum.For the past week, including just a few minutes ago, when I've been browsing, often out of nowhere I suddenly get the guest message and nothing else for at least 15 minutes, even after putting in my login details. The longest event where this has happened to me was 2 hours. Clearing my cookies has no effect.

Tom, I've still been having problems loading the forum.For the past week, including just a few minutes ago, when I've been browsing, often out of nowhere I suddenly get the guest message and nothing else for at least 15 minutes, even after putting in my login details. The longest event where this has happened to me was 2 hours. Clearing my cookies has no effect.
When you get that, scroll further down and you will see that the server is too busy to let you in. It's showing you a guest prompt because it has not progressed far enough in execution to read your cookies to know who you are.

I've also had many problems with the boards since the Microsoft ACES announcement. I've been visiting the AVSIM boards for a number of years now, and have never had problems like I've had recently. Constant too busy messages, many IPS database error messages, sometimes just painfully slow. Tonight, it took about 5 minutes to load the too busy screen, yet now, just a couple of minutes later, all is fine, and the speed is good.I have a query - is Google some sort of component with the new forum? I notice that 'Google.com' is always an active user in the stats at the bottom of the screen, but you can't click on it like other members. Also, whenever I load a page in the forum, the status bar at the bottom of Firefox has a few Google pages loading before the thread/forum shows.

I have a query - is Google some sort of component with the new forum? I notice that 'Google.com' is always an active user in the stats at the bottom of the screen, but you can't click on it like other members. Also, whenever I load a page in the forum, the status bar at the bottom of Firefox has a few Google pages loading before the thread/forum shows.
See the FAQ section of the forums. That is a Google Spider that we allow in.