Sign in to follow this  
edgarone

Hercules C-130 review

Hello,I read with interest the recent review of the C-130 Hercules by Jason McKee.I completely agree, that this is a quite impressive model, which is fun to fly and to hear (the sounds - great!).Unfortunately I am not completely happy with the review itself. Although it is always nice to have pictures showing details of the product, I personally do not like to see all screens of the installer. If it is a very "Very Simple Installation Process", it does not make sense to me, to see the installer pictured in detail. What is the point of having 9 desktop screens with different install windows in a plane review? I can see, that the installer has an EULA page, but cannot read them anyway, because it is too small...The same applies to other reviews like "VFR London X" or "Bellanca Viking Collection".In my personal opinion this is not necessary.However, I have some other remarks concerning the boxed FSX C-130 version of Just Flight:The Aircraft Configuration Editor seems to have problems with permissions and accounts (at least in Vista).I installed the addon as an Admin user und use it as an user (2) with limited rights. The user (2) is not able to read some registry entries of the addon - resulting in several error messages, when starting the ACE and finally empty pathes for the FSX install dir and for the FLT flight files ("tools" page). It is also not possible to enter and store the correct values here. Probably the ACE program is not fully compatible with the Vista permission system. But thats only my personal assumption.However, the plane is usable out of the box in FSX, even as user with limited permissions.Just another remark concerning the modules and instruments: After a crash it is not possible to start a new flight and use radar or autopilot. It was not possible to turn them on and use them. I had to restart FSX completely.Well, thanks for providing us with interesting reviews - keep up the good work.Kind regards,Edgar

So JustFlight packages CaptainSim's product and you give it a fresh review? Why give the same product two reviews?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Hi thanks for the comments on my review. i take note on the installation pictures, and will adjust my reviews for future. as far as the vista issues go i cannot comment as i have been running windows xp, but i am reinstalling vista as we speak, so i will let you know how it goes and if i have any issues. i was lucky not to have any crashes what so ever so i didn't have any of the problems, again this could be a vista thing, so again i will let you knowthanks again for the feedback, it is good to get some either good bad or otherwiseJason

I really enjoyed the review and believe it was very well written. I liked the inclusion of your screen shots and the way you gave a short description of everything rather than dwelling with long descriptions.I think when reading printed articles it is easier to read long and more detailed articles, but with reading online, I like to see a lot of pictures. Especially so when it is talking about a product.I don't have the JustFlight version of the C130, but I do have the C130 Xperience purchased from Captain Sim's website. Your descriptions are very accurate and now I really wish I had waited and purchased it from JustFlight in order to get the manuals in printed form.I have always enjoyed Captain Sim's 757 model, but I have to say that this C130 is really his shinning star. Maybe just because it is so much fun to fly.Your descriptions of the sounds are so true. This C130 sounds great. The visual model doesn't lag far behind either. It looks great too, but could look better if he had made the little interior details as sharp as he did with the 757 model. It is an outstanding interior, but with some small improvements, could be better.I like to fly this in VC as much as possible. I find that I need to sometimes bring up the 2D cockpit or at least some pop-ups. Especially so with the throttle quadrant.I can't seem to start the engines unless I move the prop pitch leavers with the mouse. I have them programed through FSUIPC to levers, but I haven't figured out how to get the full throw of the levers out of my CH throttle quadrant.Something that I noticed you didn't mention that is a big help in flying in VC is that if you right click on the simicon panel and select "Unlock Window" or whatever it is at the top, then you can use the simicon panel in VC cockpit as well as 2d. Which is very cool. Of course this can be done with any popup window in the sim too. It works on any sim that uses simicon panels and also works with Radar Contact and VoxATC panels.JustFlight has great support for their products and usually adds some good stuff with their versions. This C130 is a great sim to start with so I'm sure it is even better from JustFlight.I may buy this someday from JustFlight just to get the printed manuals if I don't take my .pdf manuals and get them printed myself. I don't know which would be cheaper.I have Vista64 Ultimate on my FSX and this C130 runs perfect in it. Anyone purchasing this product is in for a lot of fun with a very real model. I love it and it is a great break from modern FMS and FADEC systems. Even with the autopilot (which works great) you will stay busy flying this C130.Bob