Sign in to follow this  
crvm

What are the advantages of 1600x1200x32 resolution.

Could someone explain the advantages of 1600x1200x32 resolution and the difference between Bi-Linear and Tri-Linear filtering.SystemAMD 1800GForce 4Ti4600512 RamSony 19"G420Rodger.

Icarus,I would have thought this was obvious. Why don't you switch to 640*480 then switch back to 1600*1200 and you will see why. I see you have a 19" monitor so you should be able to run at 1280*960 or 1600*1200 and enjoy the benefits.Not sure of the filtering question. If in doubt choose Tri-Linear.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Unless you have a good monitor that can handle that res at a good refresh rate, and a good graphics card that doesn't die out up there, it's not worth the effort.

Stratus,Well he has a good graphics card (Ti4600) at least. With my 19" Iiyama Pro 454 there is definitely an advantage to the higher resolution - mainly with the panel, the scenery isn't as demanding.85Hz should be considered the minimum refresh rate - any less and flicker can be detected.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Well, that shouldn't be too bad of a setup. So you were saying that you get 85hz up there? I only have a cheap NEC Multisync 96 19" and it can only do 1600X1200 at 75hz or so.

Stratus,I've always considered the monitor to be one of the most important components in a setup. I don't know whether Iiyama monitors are available in the US but if they are then you should consider one the next time you upgrade. The Pro 454 is their top 19" CRT and even here in expensive England the price was very reasonable -

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stratus_Fractus

No, I don't think they have them here in Canada. 120Hz?!?! I can only get 85 there. :-(

Greg,Canada? Woops, sorry! Pity you can't get Iiyama. Mitsubishi make good monitors. The better the monitor the higher the resolution. BUT, don't go any higher than you need to eliminate screen flicker as the display is being overworked for no good reason. It's simply an indication of the quality and the fact that you can run at relatively high resolutions and be guaranteed 85Hz.Start saving! ;-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Yes, I know, Canada is really the Great, White isolated North :-lol Mitsubishi is kind of hard to find here, is Viewsonic any good?

Greg,I've heard of Viewsonic but I don't think they've won any awards from the UK PC press. I subscribe to PC Pro here in England and get most of my info from that mag and their web site. Canada must also have quality PC magazines. Don't they review hardware and make recommendations? Toms hardware site in the US seems pretty good but again, I don't know whether the gear will be available in the frozen north - sorry, Canada ;-)Time to emigrate perhaps? :-) If all else fails save up for an Eizo TFT - probably the best made so far (according to PC Pro!).

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Hmm, yeah I wouldn't mind emigrating . No real PC mags here, I go by some of the US ones if I can. :-/

Good luck! I'm probably luckier than I thought having access to a quality PC press - something I take for granted.Let me know how you get on.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Sure will Ray.

Mistubishi is now NEC, well at least in monitor name. I have a nice 19" Mitsubishi 91 with a small footprint so it looks very nice. 75 hz will not cause flickering that I have seen. 1600x1200 looks mighty fine indeed if your specs can handle it I say always go higher. One thing to remember, you will not need antialising so save yourself the frame rates with this turned off at 1600x1200.[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"