Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

New Forums

How would it be possible to have that option? The forum systems operate with two, completely different database backends. You can't post in one and have it show up on the other. The system is not skin-able either, so don't go down that road.The new system gives us specific advantages over the older, flat file system. No one likes changes, but the new system will be much better in the long run for us and for the users of the system. As far as viewing goes, I'm running @ 1280x1024 and the text is perfectly legible to me, and I'm 36 with not-perfect vision.Currently, the only reason we would go back to the old system is if the new one can't stand the strain. So far it is holding up very well. In fact, Matt has been very active today (as well as Tom) trying to make changes to please those that are dis-satisfied with the new system (and some bug fixes) so we are responsive to your wants, but asking for an option to use either forum is out of the question.So before complaining, make sure you try and understand how the new system works or ask a question. We will be more then happy to try and help.Mikehttp://www.avsim.com/vaworld/mikep/smallsig.jpg

I like it! It is here to stay. I am sure that the old forum will never be seen again.... Perhaps Tom can make some font change but other than that it looks good on 19" crt at 1600x1200.Dick:9

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Tom,The new forums seems to have much improved performance, but the text size of the postings IMHO is way too small. The point size of the old forum was much easier to read from a posting standpoint. I really have strain to read the postings and I am on 21 inch monitor.ThanksBob

I am not sure if this has been mentioned (since I am too lazy to read the 70 posts in this thread, LOL) but is it possible to change the link and visited link colors? I liked having 2 separate colors so I could easily tell what threads I have read or not. It makes things easier on the eyes as well.

Guest ba747heavy

That is what I have been saying from post #1 :D

Guest cwright

I agree! I believe in the old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.... And the message text is *far* too small! I certainly hope Avsim can fix this. Best regards, Chris

But thats the whole point - it was broke. As stated above by others, I don't know how many times messages were corrupt because of the old text based DB back end - it was getting worse by the day. Thats just about the entire reason for the new system.Besides, its simple to have it act "exactly" like they old system with a few settings preferences (colors are the exception, but Tom already said he's going to change them for the better).As for your text size, the answer to this was already given as well... In IE, click Tools menu, Internet Options, then on the General tab click the Accessibility button and checkmark the "Ignore Font sizes specified on web pages". Walla - problem fixed. And not just here, but on any web site that uses style sheets with hard coded font sizes... Unfortunately, this is becoming a big problem the past couple years because some foolish web designers only design for their own monitor when using style sheets. :-(Take care,Elrond ---Not enough bandwidth to display this signature! Don't reformat hard drive? (y/N)

Forum looks good to me but, as someone else mentioned above, I sure do miss the snipets. Helps me decide if I want to read a particular thread or not. Also, I noticed the heading would slightly change color once It had been read but it doesn't seem to do so now. At my age I need all the help I can get :)

Tom,Great work on the new forum, works fine for me and a lot quicker than the "old" one.Happy flying Ralph Hummel Staff Reviewer AVSIM Online

Guest Vulcho

I too would like to see the snipets back.The color b/w unread and read messages is too hard to distinguish.And, what was the old Font Face & Size?Thank you,Alex.

Hi all,seeing how many posts concern font face, font size and link colors, here's a pointer to my post "Custom visuals for forum, howto..." in the "Help for AVSIM Forums" forum.I wrote a small file you can include in your browser. Doing that you can set font face, font size and link highlighting colors and appearance to whatever you desire on a per user basis, just change the attribute values.Hope this might be helpful for some of youPeter

Guest captbulldog

I like it. The DcForum+ has been a long wait. Thanks, Tom and crew!

Guest ScottPilot

I like the new look!Has a real "techie" look to it.Scott :-)

I didn't like it at first, but thanks to whoever pointed out that you could select a "ubb" style for displaying the messages, I like it! I was actually gonna ask why AVSIM doesn't use a more standard forum software such as UBB, PHP BB, etc, but this looks close enough to me now.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest cwright

Hi, Elrond, I didn't know about those problems as it worked fine for me. But as the new system has presumably fixed these problems, then full credit to Avsim. I tried that method to fix the font size yesterday but it didn't work, however it screwed up another Web site so i returned it to normal. But after reading your post I tried it again and it worked! However, with just 'ignore font size' the text was too big. If I also selected 'ignore font style' then the text size is about right. But most probably I'll have to change the settings for other Web sites. Maybe the solution lies in style sheets, but I've no idea how to use them. As I write this post I've found another problem. The font in the input text box is completely bizarre so it's difficult to read it. Hope it comes out correctly! Something has changed, as the font was okay yesterday. Unfortunately lots of people who come across the Avsim forums won't know about this fix, so I hope Avsim can fix it. Best regards, Chris