Sign in to follow this  
Guest upper01

md11 speed question

Guest upper01

hi there,for me, the pmdg md11 FMC is new. since i fly only pmdg Boeing for over the past 5 years.after reading the manual ( tutorial manual ), i am able to successfully program the FMC, and take off. everything goes just fine ( i realy love that plane )when i am starting to decide on what rwy i will land on the dest. airport, i put in the landing rwy, and if possible the STAR for that rwy. push the "insert button"clear the F-pln discontinuity message, and at that point i presume everything is setup for approuch.But now... see picture:spd.jpgat line 3 i am reading Vapp=159, and Vref=154.the big question's are:- does the autopilot automaticly pick those speeds?- or must i set the Vref speed in the speed box, and then pull the speed button?- or are the speeds automaticly set, when i set the flaps? witch i think is very rare ( but saw something about that in other forums )hopefully someone can help me with thisregardsAlex

hi there,at line 3 i am reading Vapp=159, and Vref=154.the big question's are:- does the autopilot automaticly pick those speeds?- or must i set the Vref speed in the speed box, and then pull the speed button?- or are the speeds automaticly set, when i set the flaps? witch i think is very rare ( but saw something about that in other forums )regardsAlex
Hi Alex, if you fly on "FMS Speed", the Autopilot will use the Approachspeed (Vapp) automaticly as indicated on the FMS T/O- Appr Page, you can verify it, if on the PFD the speed window is in magenta (pink) colour ( on the left side).You can also overwrite the appr speed, in case you have gusty winds, the Autopilot/ FMS will use that new (corrected) speed.Does it help?

1. does the autopilot automaticly pick those speeds?2. or must i set the Vref speed in the speed box, and then pull the speed button?3. or are the speeds automaticly set, when i set the flaps? witch i think is very rare ( but saw something about that in other forums )
1. Yes. Well... providing you have entered everything it needs to 'pick them' into the FMS! (The FMS contains two FMC's in which you can enter data with the MCDU: thought I might add that to help you get accustomed to the MD-11 terminology :( ) So the FMS picks those speeds and Autoflight follows them without you having to do anything.2. That is (as you've already guessed) a no. 3. When in autoflight setting the first flap (Dial-A-Flap, usually 15) will automatically slow the plane down to the right speed for the approach (180 if I remember well, just before intercepting ILS). After that you may set flaps as directed by the signs on the PFD's speed tape. VAPP/VREF will be handled automaticaly during landing itself. AFAIK the other flaps (28 and 35) are not directly related to the VAPP/VREF speeds...? Never noticed that: probably was too busy landing...In short: during autoflight (and with a autoland) you won't have to pull (or push) the speed knob at all. Unless you want to, of course.EDIT:2009 already answered... Boy, did it take me so long to write this all...? :(

Guest upper01

thank you,that answers my questions.by the way:if i want the landing speed slower then the FMC speed read, must i then putt the speed manual in the box, and then pull the speed button.thanks again,regardsAlex

Alex, the safe way to lower landing speed is to use flaps 50; other than that this bird is fast on approach.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest upper01

Dan,now thats the point...every time i am on final, the speed is just to fast. comparing to other PMDG planesfor example:the PMDG 747 is mostly set for +/- 142kts full flaps.i noticed that the approuch speed for the md11 mostly hanging around 154kts. ( according to the FMC ) and that is not with full flaps.now that's something what i wondering about, because isn't alway so that in most cases the touchdown are with full flaps, so less speed then lets say 154kts for example in the md11.so when i hit the +50 button in the app page, does it automaticly reduce the Vapp to less then 154 or so?regardsAlex

Guest krullenbol

Flaps 35 is normal landing configuration. flaps 50 is only used on short runways, braking action less than good or tailwind conditions. 155 knots is also a normal Final Approach speed for the MD11Floris

Floris knows this because he is a line pilot in the MD-11.

Dan Downs KCRP

so when i hit the +50 button in the app page, does it automaticly reduce the Vapp to less then 154 or so?
Alex,never set a lower speed on approach than indicated on the 'approach'-page. If you've set flaps 35 there the FMS will fly Vref+5 for that flaps setting as a final approach speed, it does the same when selecting flaps 50. This is for a no-winds situation. Note that even on flaps 50 the Vapp is 155 at max. landing weight.Do not worry about the high approach speeds. These ARE very high on this aircraft, when landing at MLW at high altitude and gusty winds final approach speeds can be up to 170kts.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Reminds me of the F-106 interceptors we had decades ago in the USAF. Whoosh!

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest upper01

hi,thanks all for the very usefull information.i will go for a couple of short "test" flights with the information you all give me.i am sure i will come familiar with this great plane.again thanks.regardAles