Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

FSX fatal error 2 times now while running ASA

Hi, I am a big fan of Active Sky products. I just upgraded to ASA. I have not had much time on the sim with it but My 1st "long" flight Boston to LA lasted 40min then I got the FSAX has experienced a fatal error.That was with Wilco's Airbus 380. I then tried the same flight with Level-D 767 and that lasted 30 so mins. So I tried FSX without ASA and flew the 380 for an hour 1/2 with no problems. Is ASA causing this? I have not downloaded the Beta patch yet.Here is what Vista said: 1st:Problem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: fsx.exeApplication Version: 10.0.61637.0Application Timestamp: 46fadb14Fault Module Name: atc.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb59Exception Code: c0000005Exception Offset: 0003b4ddOS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3Locale ID: 10332nd:Problem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: fsx.exeApplication Version: 10.0.61637.0Application Timestamp: 46fadb14Fault Module Name: ai_player.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb57Exception Code: c0000005Exception Offset: 0001c135OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3Locale ID: 1033 Any help? Thanks,GregVista 648GB ram2 EVGA 9800GTX cardsQ9500

Hi Greg,Sorry for the problem.I can't be for certain, but the first crash is in: Fault Module Name: atc.dll, a part of FSX.The second crash is in: Fault Module Name: ai_player.dll, also a part of FSX.What are your system specs?What happens if you try a default plane and ASA?Thanks,

Hey Jim, while just passing through, from my experience in the early FS9 OOM days when running 32-bits and every add-on imaginable, every crash would be a different (random) faulty module probably based on which one was being accessed at the time of the CTD. You can't really go by that information if he's having real OOM problems. Is the gentleman running FSX with SP2 or Accel to make it large-address-aware for the larger user-space footprint (which is still necessary even with a 64-bit OS)? Also, I wonder why he's running 2 GPU's when FS in general will not make any use of SLI other than increased AA capability. He might try running on one GPU to see if reducing the GPU footprint on the system memory might have an effect.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hey Jim, while just passing through, from my experience in the early FS9 OOM days when running 32-bits and every add-on imaginable, every crash would be a different (random) faulty module probably based on which one was being accessed at the time of the CTD. You can't really go by that information if he's having real OOM problems. Is the gentleman running FSX with SP2 or Accel to make it large-address-aware for the larger user-space footprint (which is still necessary even with a 64-bit OS)? Also, I wonder why he's running 2 GPU's when FS in general will not make any use of SLI other than increased AA capability. He might try running on one GPU to see if reducing the GPU footprint on the system memory might have an effect.Regards,
I have been running 2 GPu's for six months with no problems.Also All 4 cores are running FSX when I check the Affinity. Should I Divide them up so ASA gets one to use? Does FSX need all four? I don't know much about this!I run : Vista 64Q95002 EVGA 9800 GTX cards in SLI mode , For other games780i MOBO8GB of ram

I have been running 2 GPu's for six months with no problems.Also All 4 cores are running FSX when I check the Affinity. Should I Divide them up so ASA gets one to use? Does FSX need all four? I don't know much about this!I run : Vista 64Q95002 EVGA 9800 GTX cards in SLI mode , For other games780i MOBO8GB of ram
Hi,The B355 beta update addresses a known issue with potential OOM situtations, which may indeed be causing this crash of FSX. Please try the update.As to processor settings/affinity, we recommend normal/default settings here, as alternate configurations can cause unexpected results and possibly poor performance. ASA is designed to multi-thread and utilize additional processors automatically with a default configuration.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi,The B355 beta update addresses a known issue with potential OOM situtations, which may indeed be causing this crash of FSX. Please try the update.As to processor settings/affinity, we recommend normal/default settings here, as alternate configurations can cause unexpected results and possibly poor performance. ASA is designed to multi-thread and utilize additional processors automatically with a default configuration.Best,
Ran with the update for 2 hours and FSX restartsed: Do I need to reinstall FSX? (please NO!!!)Problem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: fsx.exeApplication Version: 10.0.61637.0Application Timestamp: 46fadb14Fault Module Name: window.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb59Exception Code: c0000005Exception Offset: 0000c4a3OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3Locale ID: 1033

Hi,I can't say for sure, but each time it is a FSX dll that is crashing. Now whether ASA is the cause I don't know.Thanks,

Hi again,Interesting. It appears that FSX may be crashing regardless of ASA. It is worth a test flight without ASA to confirm. Given that this new error is something entirely unrelated to weather it sounds like it may be the case. Perhaps graphics driver related? Have you updated recently?One other thought is that there may be an issue related to XGauge on your setup. If you're running XGauge during these failures, please try with it off (just do not bring up the XGauge window).Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest swanrunner

I have not been getting FSX crashes but get an FSX AppHang on almost every flight. I am running FSX SP2,XGraphics, ASA beta355, with PMDG and Level D 767 add on's. I am running on a quad core 2.4ghz,6gig ram, GeForce 9600GT 512K with latest driver upgrade, and Vista 64. Any where from 10 to about 30 min into a flight the visuals freeze and the sound continues. I either have to shut down with task manager or wait 5 to 7 min and FSX visuals start up again. Sometimes can go another 10 min or even an hour or more. Read on an FSX forum that appHang errors are usually caused by 3rd party software. Since I am using ASA beta I tried 2 flights with FSX default weather and no freezes. When I read this thread I decided to try ASA without XGuage. Have flown about 8 flights now without using XGauge and my screen freeze problem has not reoccurred so it seems I must being getting the screen freeze from that. John

Guest brandonjohns

Just a heads up...I have had the same problem as well with both the Level-D and the PMDG birds (MD-11 and 747). Sometimes it would crash in cruise during a winds aloft shift or just after localizer capture. Except my FSX would CTD with a "Not enough memory" (though I have 4 GB's) dialouge box. I doubt this your problem with your sytem specs but I disabled the winds aloft feature and actually haven't had any issues yet. I know disabling them may really subtract the realism element but it sure beats the CTD just before descent or after LOC capture....I'll keep my eye on this one.