Sign in to follow this  
asanal

Windows XP Pro or Vista Premium 64

If I have to choose between two OS options and video cards which option I should choose for MD-11X and 747X:1-Windows XP Pro with nVidia GTX260 1GB Video Cardor2- Vista Premium 64 bit with SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB and the Aegix video acceleratorThanksSanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

If I have to choose between two OS options and video cards which option I should choose for MD-11X and 747X:1-Windows XP Pro with nVidia GTX260 1GB Video Cardor2- Vista Premium 64 bit with SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB and the Aegix video acceleratorThanksSanal
Do you have any recommendation???

Ahmet Sanal

Well, with the 32 bit system, there exists a possibility to get OOM errors. But, the video card is nicer. The second system may be fine, but the SLI won't help you at all. Also, I and some others have been having severe graphical problems in Vista 64. It's really hard to say without the rest of the system specs.-stefan

Well, with the 32 bit system, there exists a possibility to get OOM errors. But, the video card is nicer. The second system may be fine, but the SLI won't help you at all. Also, I and some others have been having severe graphical problems in Vista 64. It's really hard to say without the rest of the system specs.-stefan
Stefan,Thanks for your replay. I was very satisfied XP performance in FS9. I switched to FSX with Vista 32. Then all OOM problems started. Iwas wondering, will I return to XP or not.? I will probably will stay Vista 64. If I can get the nVidia GTX260 to that PC..Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

I use vista ultimate 64, and it runs fs much better than vista 32 in my opinion. All I recommend when using Vista 64 is to have more than 3gb ram. I don

I use vista ultimate 64, and it runs fs much better than vista 32 in my opinion. All I recommend when using Vista 64 is to have more than 3gb ram. I don

Ahmet Sanal

I have Vista64 with 4Gb DDR2 memory and an ATI4870 512Mb video.Comment on Vista: I went to Vista on a new build with much trepidation, but I would not go back to XP. The only problem I have had (besides learning a few new methods and learning how to turn off UAC) was with two periperals (palm pilot and flatbed scanner) not having 64b drivers available so I have to update that hardware. I am very surprised that I like Vista after hearing all the bad news surrounding it.Comment on SLI cards: Waste of money for MSFS, put the money in the CPU, which is the bottleneck because they do not use the GPU to any significant extent. Two months ago the best performance/cost deal was the Q9650 quad 3GHz and I have been most satisfied with it, to the point where I may not play with overclocking at all even though I have the mobo (ASUS Rampage Forumula) that would allow it. I'm not qualified to comment on nVidia vs ATI, I just happen to take the recommendation of someone I trust and it has worked out okay. I've read about problems with either choice.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'd like to second Dan Downs' post. I just made the move to Vista 64 (x6800 2.93ghz, 8gb 800mhz, 768mb 8800gtxoc, 1 75gb 10k, 2x75gb 10k striped for FSX partition). I had very satisfactory performance under V32, but even with the /3gb switch & OS mod I'd often max the RAM usage. Under x64, assuming you have access to all required x64 drivers, you should have no problems. However, I would recommend going to 8gb of RAM (4x2gb was approx 140usd last month). The latest fsx binary is large memory address aware and is able to demand RAM past the 2 or 3gb limit of a 32-bit system (WoW in Vista 64 will still only grant a LMA x86 thread up to 4gb). The additional RAM will offer plenty of overhead for system tasks, other software, etc. For some background on the SLI and multi-core questions PTaylor's blog archives have good info (though pay attention to the dates):http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...multi-core.aspx-Dan D. (not Downs! :D)

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

I'd like to second Dan Downs' post. I just made the move to Vista 64 (x6800 2.93ghz, 8gb 800mhz, 768mb 8800gtxoc, 1 75gb 10k, 2x75gb 10k striped for FSX partition). I had very satisfactory performance under V32, but even with the /3gb switch & OS mod I'd often max the RAM usage. Under x64, assuming you have access to all required x64 drivers, you should have no problems. However, I would recommend going to 8gb of RAM (4x2gb was approx 140usd last month). The latest fsx binary is large memory address aware and is able to demand RAM past the 2 or 3gb limit of a 32-bit system (WoW in Vista 64 will still only grant a LMA x86 thread up to 4gb). The additional RAM will offer plenty of overhead for system tasks, other software, etc. For some background on the SLI and multi-core questions PTaylor's blog archives have good info (though pay attention to the dates):http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...multi-core.aspx-Dan D. (not Downs! :D)
Here is the PC configuration I am interested to purchase. Will I have any performance problem with this configuration, IF. yes. What upgrades do you recommend, to I can fly MD-11X and 747X FSX slides up-to MAX?? ThanksSanalIntel Core2 processor Q9400 (2.66GHz,1333FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 6MB cache 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz nVidia GeForce GTX 280 1024MB Serial ATA RAID 1 With Dual 320GB Hard Drives OS: Vista 32 bitCan I have get over 25FPS in Major Airports.If not what upgardes will Ineed it?

Ahmet Sanal

Here is the PC configuration I am interested to purchase. Will I have any performance problem with this configuration, IF. yes. What upgrades do you recommend, to I can fly MD-11X and 747X FSX slides up-to MAX?? ThanksSanalIntel Core2 processor Q9400 (2.66GHz,1333FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 6MB cache 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz nVidia GeForce GTX 280 1024MB Serial ATA RAID 1 With Dual 320GB Hard Drives OS: Vista 32 bitCan I have get over 25FPS in Major Airports.If not what upgrades will Ineed it?
Do you have any expertise advise for above configuration? It is important for me.ThanksSanal

Ahmet Sanal

Hi SanalI made the move to Vista 64 Home Premium.Dual Core E8600 2X 3.33 GHz8GB RAMUSUS P5QNVidia 9800GT 1024MBFS9 runs @ 70+FPS with all the sliders to the far right.FS9 runs @ 50+FPS with PMDG 737NG and 747-400 sliders to the far rightIf you go for Vista you need the 64bit system otherwise you will have OOM errors.System runs well although I am still clearing a few bugs ( not PMDG )You cannot use the Options / PMDG menus in full screen mode. Works okay in normal windows mode.Cannot start Sqawkbox in fullscreen mode - will operate in FSM thereafterHad to purchase FSUIPC to resolve some control input issuesStill have an issue on Sqawkbox when there is a buzz every time anyone uses the mike. There are some fixes but these don't work on mine.Overall I am pleased and the graphics are brilliant although I have spent a fair time on the help sites getting rid of one or two bugsRegardsRoyH

Hi SanalI made the move to Vista 64 Home Premium.Dual Core E8600 2X 3.33 GHz8GB RAMUSUS P5QNVidia 9800GT 1024MBFS9 runs @ 70+FPS with all the sliders to the far right.FS9 runs @ 50+FPS with PMDG 737NG and 747-400 sliders to the far rightIf you go for Vista you need the 64bit system otherwise you will have OOM errors.System runs well although I am still clearing a few bugs ( not PMDG )You cannot use the Options / PMDG menus in full screen mode. Works okay in normal windows mode.Cannot start Sqawkbox in fullscreen mode - will operate in FSM thereafterHad to purchase FSUIPC to resolve some control input issuesStill have an issue on Sqawkbox when there is a buzz every time anyone uses the mike. There are some fixes but these don't work on mine.Overall I am pleased and the graphics are brilliant although I have spent a fair time on the help sites getting rid of one or two bugsRegardsRoyH
RoyH,Thanks for your advise. Do you have FSX. If you, how is your FPS run for PMDG747X/MD-11XRegardsSanal

Ahmet Sanal