Sign in to follow this  
Guest greyspiders

fps drops over time? WhaT?

Guest greyspiders

This may sound crazy but.... I have used several graphics cards w/fs9 and had good results. I just went to a faster processor (same motherboard) and installed an ATI 3850. When I start flying, takeoff even from a dense airport scenery location, fps is excellent. Then, after several minutes as I approach my destination, fps starts dropping to unuseable (4-7fps). At first this is a quick alternating from good fps to bad every half second but then it just goes so low I can't do anything! I have downloaded the latest ATI driver. HELP!!! Any ideas? Never had problems before.

This may sound crazy but.... I have used several graphics cards w/fs9 and had good results. I just went to a faster processor (same motherboard) and installed an ATI 3850. When I start flying, takeoff even from a dense airport scenery location, fps is excellent. Then, after several minutes as I approach my destination, fps starts dropping to unuseable (4-7fps). At first this is a quick alternating from good fps to bad every half second but then it just goes so low I can't do anything! I have downloaded the latest ATI driver. HELP!!! Any ideas? Never had problems before.
-------------Try invoking the FS command- "Refresh Scenery". In FS Assignments, I have it mapped to the Pause/Break key. A single key press pauses the sim briefly, then automatically restores it at full FPS. Very handy before starting the approach.Alex Reid

Guest greyspiders
-------------Try invoking the FS command- "Refresh Scenery". In FS Assignments, I have it mapped to the Pause/Break key. A single key press pauses the sim briefly, then automatically restores it at full FPS. Very handy before starting the approach.Alex Reid
Thanks for the suggestion, but this occurs randomly, not just when approaching or entering a high density scenery area. I tried installing an older driver- instead of the laterst ATI driver from their site. After ten minutes of great frame rates, all of a sudden things stuttered, going from 25 to 4fps back anfd forth, then stayed at about 5. I can't figure it. All the options in the settings for display are the same as they were with my older card.

Guest greyspiders
Thanks for the suggestion, but this occurs randomly, not just when approaching or entering a high density scenery area. I tried installing an older driver- instead of the laterst ATI driver from their site. After ten minutes of great frame rates, all of a sudden things stuttered, going from 25 to 4fps back anfd forth, then stayed at about 5. I can't figure it. All the options in the settings for display are the same as they were with my older card.
More info! Maybe someone can figure this out- when I look left or right, or turn off the cockpit view (I normally use 2d) the rates go up again!!! So something in the aircraft cockpit textures?? are causing this??? Before I switched graphics cards this was never a problem. Boy, if anyonbe knows how to fix this, let me know and I'll send you a gazillion dollars (well, figuratively speaking...)

Have you installed FS9.1? If my memory can recall there was sort of a memory leak where distant objects would remain in view for ever, slowly eating away your frames (please correct me if I am wrong). FS9.1 I believe fixed that. Your issue appears to have similar symtoms.Clutch(P.S. - If my hunch is corrent I will take that "gazillion" dollars in the form of pennies. That way I can continue to add my "two cents" here in the forums :( )

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest greyspiders
Have you installed FS9.1? If my memory can recall there was sort of a memory leak where distant objects would remain in view for ever, slowly eating away your frames (please correct me if I am wrong). FS9.1 I believe fixed that. Your issue appears to have similar symtoms.Clutch(P.S. - If my hunch is corrent I will take that "gazillion" dollars in the form of pennies. That way I can continue to add my "two cents" here in the forums :( )
Yep- I installed the update/patch (is that what you mean by FS9.1?) many moons ago. What's weird is that with my older NVidia card I got some frame rate hit with good 2d panels, like normal, on any plane. It seems now only the add on planes- downloaded 737's etc. from this site, are causing the problem. I tried a flight into the same airports with the default Baron and I believe the problem didn't occur. I'll do some more experimenting tonight.

Use "Filemon" and see what the computer are doing when the frames are dropping. Could be very useful to determine what is going on during the frame-drop periodes.A r v i d

Guest Skypoint
I had the same problem with my 3850.... I had replaced an ATI 9800 that after years of abuse finally took a powder. I was about to return the thing but decided to do a clean driver package install, as I had tried several different drivers without doing so and thought that's what may have muddied up the water. It was, and this is how I addressed it:Go to the AMD.com web site and DL the latest driver package, including the Catalyst... The file should be about 28 megs or so and it's in a single package. Don't get the driver alone. Save the file to your desktop, or where ever you normally do. Then remove anything with ATI on it from Add & Remove Programs, then delete everything in the C:ATI/ATI Downloads folder. I reran the new package from the desktop, restarted, and Viola! I've made three or four flights since and I'm getting good and consistent frame rates in both FS9 and FSX. I'd like to upgrade my home built 3.2, 2gig machine, but it's working flawlessly and is adequate for FS. (at least until I talk myself into it lol)I hope this helps!J

Guest belga1

Hello,

I tried a flight into the same airports with the default Baron and I believe the problem didn't occur.
So ... seem's to be a addon problem .. if the problem not occur with default plane(s) ....A nice test to make:Download and install this plane (from Flightsim)http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=102984FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Jetliners FS2004 Air Scheffel Boeing 737-800w[ Download | View ] Name: as738.zip Size: 53,002,649 Date: 07-27-2006 Downloads: 16,435 FS2004 Air Scheffel Boeing 737-800w. This package includes high-res panels, photorealistic cockpit-/cabin-/wing-views, unique (auto) checklist with speech, nearly 200 sounds, working APU, fuel dump and working TFT's in the passengers cabin. Also as many effects as possible: heat blur, fuel dump, rain wash and engine fire. Model (Erick Cantu) included. With setup.exe or manual install if preferred. By Arjan Scheffel.That's a very good 737 freeware for make tests.Test with this plane if you got problems.Regards.bye.gif