Sign in to follow this  
Guest robertuk

Fuel Temp Lo

Guest robertuk

Hi,Just on a flight to EDDM crz alt was 370 but have got a warning of Fuel Temp Lo and No Ice Detected warnings, it's descending!Anyone have a quick solution I am looking through the manuals.Rob

Guest robertuk

Well it was not a good ending to this flight. It went from bad to worse and I had engine failure and could not get them started in time. Looking through the manuals now to avoid this mistake in the future. fspassengerx report of the flight below!Accident Report:The aircraft suffered major stress due to flight conditions and broke into several parts at 15h19.There were no known failures on this aircraft at the time of the accident.The cause of the crash remains unknown, most probably it was due to human error. No emergency was declared before the crash. Casualties:-154 passengers aboard154 killed0 injured-Pilot and flight crew killedReport:Flight Distance: 473 Nm Landing Speed: --Time Airborne: 01h30:02 Landing Touchdown: --Flight Time (block): 01h30:46 Landing Pitch: --Time On Ground: 00h02:08 Landing Weight: --Average Speed: 315.47 kt Total Fuel Used: 26947 lbsClimb Time: 00h19:24 Climb Fuel Used: 13048 lbsCruise Time: 00h40:09 Cruise Fuel Used: 8862 lbsAverage Cruise Speed: 416.33 kt (M0.73) Cruise fuel/hour: 13244 lbs (calc)Descent Time: 00h30:29 Descent Fuel Used: 5036 lbsPassenger Opinion: Terror and grief. (0%)-Were in a better mood because they had food.-Were terrified by the excess G-forces. (+3.96).-Didn't like that some passengers started flying around the cabin caused by your negative G flying.-Didn't like your acrobatic flight (repeated G-forces).-Were terrified by the last dive before the crash.Crash Financial Report:Taking into account the state of the aircraft and its current resale value after the crash. The insurance company decided to pay a total of

Search this forum for "freezing fuel", there were multiple threads on the subject.

If you get this warning during flight then you can increase speed and/or reduced altitude to lower the fuel temp and keep an eye on it, usually if it freezes you are able to start the engines again as you decend, obviously didnt work for you. :(If you think you will be flying in cold temperatures like that you can change fuel type before your flight to a fuel that has a lower freezing point in the 3rd page of the init menu of the CDU.

Guest robertuk

Thanks for the advice. Any idea how to change the actual FREEZE TEMP on the fuel init page. I can change the fuel type outlined in the fms guide A1, B etc but not sure how to change the FREEZE TEMP on the fuel init page it just says format error if I enter for example -60 etc.Thanks again for your helpRob

Hi,could you confirm this: if one changes the fuel type in the FMC the fuel is simulated with a lower freezing point? :( Denis

You can't change the freezing point, but you can the fuel type. I use A1 or B right now, depending on conditions, but my flights are pretty short, so I shouldn't have a problem. You have to monitor your temps in flight. You should get a COLD FUEL RECIRC alert within 8 degrees of the freezing point. This means a recirculation process is occuring to try and mix the fuel with warmer fuel from other tanks. If further temps drop (3 degrees), then you get a FUEL TEMP LO alert.Speed up a little, tough in an airliner or most planes really, and or descend to a lower altitude if you can't resolve it with the automatic recirc. You should be doing this way before you're entering the danger zone though. I can't say how soon, since I'm not a real pilot, but my gut would be around 8 degrees above the freezing temp if dropping and when you get the RECIRC warning. If you're about to descend to approach, then you'd obviously be okay though. Depends on circumstance.The NO ICE DETECED alert was because you weren't in icing conditions, but you had anti-ice on.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest grim_marmazet

You can change the temp directly, but -58 is the limit. I was having the same problem using the REX weather engine, but now im using ASA, it never seems to get that cold anymore. Im not sure how cold its really ment to be at FL360 in the winter though.Rik

Hi,could you confirm this: if one changes the fuel type in the FMC the fuel is simulated with a lower freezing point? :( Denis
My guess would be, since they modelled the ability to change the fuel type, that the point in which the fuel freezes in the sim is altered by changing the fuel type.
You can change the temp directly, but -58 is the limit. Rik
That seems odd to me, since the fuel freezes based on what kind of fuel it is. Why would the FMS allow one to alter the temp I wonder?? I thought you could only change the type.EDIT: I see why it's pilot alterable. Good for one to change the temp to increase it, not lower it for recirculation. Cool.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Accident Report:
These are always so funny to read in the sim world... :(

- Chris

Guest robertuk

Thanks for the replies. I did the same flight little lower and adjusted depending on the temp.went very well 100% so the passengers thought!Rob

Why would the FMS allow one to alter the temp I wonder??
Because a specific batch of fuel can have unique freezing temperature. I recall reading for example about Continental polar flights that before every such flight ground crew would actually measure the freezing point of the fuel just loaded - hence it makes perfect sense that pilot should be able to load this temperature through FMS, in case of some flights the knowledge of precise freezing point is very important.