Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

Winds Input PMDG MD-11 FS9

Couple questions:Is there a way to manually enter winds other than descent forecast page in MCDU? (i.e., can you enter cruise winds?)If there is a power interruption in the jet on the ground--like failure to start APU/APU bleed air before you commence pushback (external power will automatically disconnect and you lose generator power), will that affect settings in the MCDU/FMC? I've done this twice (brain fart) and each time I get some erratic winds, etc.If power drops off line on the ground, is the procedure to realign IRUs and reenter FMC-1 data?ThanksRich Perry

If you select the VERT REVision page of any waypoint between the TC and TD, and go to page 2, you can enter wind data for that way point.I've had the power drop out, and some data was retained. I'll let some of the technical experts provide something more detailed though.

I was just gonna ask that!How is it possible to enter the winds on the F-PLAN Page ?How is the format for inputting this kind of data ?I searched the FMS Manual and didn't come up with anything...Thanks for your help,Bruno FontesRio de Janeiro

I was just gonna ask that!How is it possible to enter the winds on the F-PLAN Page ?How is the format for inputting this kind of data ?I searched the FMS Manual and didn't come up with anything...Thanks for your help,Bruno FontesRio de Janeiro
Bruno,Here are the manual references (FMS volume) for wind/temperature entries:Trip wind/temp of F-PLN INIT page: page 10.18Climb forecast: page 10.30Descent forecast: page 40.48Cruise winds: This part is missing from the manual (omitted by mistake). We will arrange to provide a supplement on that.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest keiron

I think maybe people are asking about wind entry on the ACT F-PLN Page 2/2. It seems to me that unlike on the 747 FMC you can just quickly type and enter the winds in the RTE DATA page (which is more or less the same as the MD-11 FMC ACT F-PLN page 2/2) using the R-LSKS.But it seems that on the MD-11 FMC you have to go into each waypoint on the ACT F-PLN Page 2/2 using the RLSKS, only then can you enter the winds for that particular waypoint...?Either that or get the average wind speed for the route flown and enter the HD/TL wind along with the temperature on the F-PLN INIT pageOr is there another way?

Let's clear up the confusion. The PMDG 744 does not accurately simulate pilot entry of wind data. It's one of the main faults in my opinion. The MD11 wind entry is faithfully simulated. That's how it appears in the real plane.

Let's clear up the confusion. The PMDG 744 does not accurately simulate pilot entry of wind data. It's one of the main faults in my opinion. The MD11 wind entry is faithfully simulated. That's how it appears in the real plane.
Thanks for the inputs...I culled through FMS documentation and realize where I can manually enter winds. My second question above in the original post, I still could not find an answer to--though in practice, the MCDU/FMC seems to retain most of the information after power interruption on the ground. In the real world in another type of aircraft, if power dropped prior to engine start (for whatever reason), I would realign IRU (this was especially important with ring laser gyro inertial navigation systems (INS), and prior to GPS updates), and also reenter FMC data (since much of it flushed after power loss).My other "hunch" related to some of the posters (including myself) who have seen erratic wind shifts at cruise altitude and attending airspeed fluctuations at cruise power into the overspeed realm, may be a result of erroneous wind data either by a)not inputing any wind value into the F-INT page after CRZ ALT (according to FMS documentation, if no value is entered, then system defaults to 0) b)power drops off-line causing wind model within MCDU/FMC to be altered; c) Active Sky 6.5 wind model is conflicting with MD-11 wind model. My request to those of us with FS9 MD-11 and Active Sky 6.5 is if winds become erratic at cruise and cause airspeed fluctuations (of the 20-40 knot variety) then plug forecasted weather winds into the MCDU F-PLAN page 2 between TC and TD and see if this alleviates the problem.ThanksRich Perry

Entering wind data doesn't affect the FS weather any more than scratching your nose with your elbow. AS does its own calculations.

Guest cuizinier

very useful thread !It should be pinned cheersJulien

Cruise winds: This part is missing from the manual (omitted by mistake). We will arrange to provide a supplement on that.
Is this also the case with the printed manuals? I am planning to order them in the next few weeks. If the get updated I would wait for the update. Jan-Paul