Sign in to follow this  
Guest windshift

wind shifts again & again & again & again & again

Guest windshift

after using FS since fs98 through to FSX I I have met many online friends through vatsim and through the VA im part of. All of which experience the good ole wind shift problems associated with the PMDG 744 and activesky...its such a well know bug/issue that even the controllers on vatsim are now quite considerate to you plight of not going past FL340 until you dumped a serious amount of fuel. Then the wind shifts happen... Yes we all know that feeling of leaving the sim for 30 mins to get some well earned crew food from the kitchen only to come back and see your jumbo stalling and plumpting into the atlantic... Theres another 7 hours wasted...My beef is as follows...after spending my well earned pennies (from dispatching 744s and a340s in real life ) on the PMDG for fs2004 and also FSX and owning every copy of ActiveSky ever brought out and a fully registered version of FSUIPC for yes you guessed it FSX and FS2004.....can someone PLEASE advised me what settings should be used in A.Activesky Advanaced XB.FSUIPCC:PMDG 744 XD:FSINNfor the sake of all the other simmers with the same problem which has been going on for YEARS now unfixed whist taking our money couldnt you meet up with the developers of activesky and fsuipc and iron out this problem.. as $79.99 is alot of money to pay for some software that doesnt work properly..Finally before you start asking if I know how to set it up correctly the 744 answer is YES...qualified Airline JAA licensed dispatcher for the 744.system info Vista 64 bit FSX SP2FSUIPC - registered Activesky Advanced XFSINN

Honestly? I think FSX and the weather programs out there have real problems with wind control. I don't know if you should try using just the Real Weather option in FSX and see how that works? I haven't really done much with FSX, FS9 works great for me, but I do see a lot of complaining about the wind in FSX. FS9 has wind problems too, but most apps, like FSUIPC and Active Sky, have done better controlling it. What it seems to be is a difference in how the PMDG AP logic reads weather and the Wx apps depict it. I can't explain, but there is a post about the MD-11 problems in ASA located within the HiFi forums about it.Love the username, LOL

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Well I never knew it was a PMDG vs Wx program problem. Always thought it was general. In any case as has been said, FSUIPC ineffect took care of thewind shift problems even on (at least my) PMDG aircraft by simply limiting the amount of direction or speed change would occur at what time interval. But as I understand it, FSX has something called SimConnect which appears to be a new way for outside programs to communicate with FSX. And for HiFi at least, they are still having problems with that interface. Taming the winds in FSX appears to be in a league all its own. From my experience it has been quite hit or miss. I still have speed and direction smoothing in FSX, but it appears the program itself decides when the appropriate time comes to consider those restrictions, add to that ASX's own smoothing options and you've got a veritable soup of options. It sucks,I know, but it appears to be an FSX/SImConnect issue as with me it happens with all FSX planes, and I get much better wind performance when using FSUIPC smoothing with FSX own weather.Regards,Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Guest windshift

so then... why dont pmdg,microsoft,jeppesen (who provide the micosoft wx) and hifosoft all sit down and fix it then...

so then... why dont pmdg,microsoft,jeppesen (who provide the micosoft wx) and hifosoft all sit down and fix it then...
Well for starters PMDG has nothing to do with it. Second, sign your name before your posts get deleted. Third, I've had good luck with these settings:Disable any wind shift smoothing in ASA.In Registered FSUIPC, limit wind changes to 1 degree/1 knot every 10 seconds. Do the same for temperature and barometric pressure, or something similar at least. If you do these things, you should be able to mitigate the problems for the most part.-stefan

I use about the same method as Stefan and it works. Also remove any turbulence features, they are not realistic anyway.

Dan Downs KCRP

Have you tried the beta version of ASA? I use the MD-11 extensively with ASA with DWC mode and with beta 355 of ASA I no longer see any wind shifts leading to overspeed situations or speed protection mode engagement.S turns in the MD-11 while in DWC mode is another matter, things are much improved in B355 but there are still some issues with it and this can probably only be fixed by PMDG as the MD-11 autopilot is reading its weather info direct from FSX and this weather info is constantly changing between a phantom incorrect reading and the correct one under certain situations, ASA smooths them out but the MD-11 AP is still seeing the unsmoothed data for its heading info.Edit: I forgot to add that I'm talking about the FSX version of the MD-11 and ASA and FSUIPC wind options are all off.

Cheers, Andy.

Disable any wind shift smoothing in ASA.In Registered FSUIPC, limit wind changes to 1 degree/1 knot every 10 seconds. Do the same for temperature and barometric pressure, or something similar at least. If you do these things, you should be able to mitigate the problems for the most part.
This works very well for both ASX and ASA (the recent beta build). I had problems initially because I didn't smooth aggressively enough - wind direction changes of 1 degree / second or speed changes of 1 kt / second are too much for the PMDGs, you have to go below that. I'm using 4 seconds per degree / kt change. In the MD-11 this allows me to have the MD-11 fly long-distance trips while I'm sleeping (step climbing on its own) without the risk of autopilot problems due to wind shifts.Tom

I had to increase the smoothing from 5 to 8 seconds per deg/Kt on a NATS flight last month with 130kt winds. But if 4 second latency works that is good.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest ashwath

hi,just disable winds aloft in ASA. u dont need any other smoothing software. all goes well without pain. if u experience any jolts in ur aircraft then u know its because of cloud turbulence. cheers!!!regards,

hi,just disable winds aloft in ASA. u dont need any other smoothing software. all goes well without pain. if u experience any jolts in ur aircraft then u know its because of cloud turbulence. cheers!!!regards,
Disabling winds aloft is incredibly unrealistic. There are better solutions suggested earlier in this thread. I would do this only as a last result, and even then, I don't think I would do it. If you're going to do this, I wouldn't personally bother with weather at all.-stefan

Guest ashwath
Disabling winds aloft is incredibly unrealistic. There are better solutions suggested earlier in this thread. I would do this only as a last result, and even then, I don't think I would do it. If you're going to do this, I wouldn't personally bother with weather at all.-stefan
hi,certainly this would be the last option. but those who do not have FSUIPC (like me) and those who do not know what settings to use in either ASA or FSUIPC can just disable winds aloft and just enjoy the way the clouds, the rain, the snow and visibility are depicted without any wind problems. oh and BTW these dramatic wind shifts that cause overspeed or stall occur only at FL300 and above (AFAIK).regards,