Sign in to follow this  
ehasanov1

Fs9: Md11 little Holding problems

Hi.I tried short route with entering published holding at fix.Everything goes ok, but after exiting from holding at PIS (immediately after exit APPROACH is armed and a/c is established on ILS), there is no change to new active waypoint.To be more precise the route was LDZA OBUTI PIS (HOLD at PIS) then ILS for rwy05 at LDZA (no STAR and no transition).After exit from holding at PIS I overfly PIS and there is no change to new waypoint (should be OM05). A/C is still in approach mode and capturing goes OKNext question, after executing GO-Around a/c does not fly missed approach on right way. The route looks ok with correct inbound course and RH turn (for published holding), but a/c goes to the left instead to the right. Same problem with PMDG B737.Maybe the problem is with airac, but, if anybody can look and commentThanksHas

Is PIS the FAF for the approach (I am not where I check the LDZA.txt procedures file)?If the 737 does the same thing then it is most likely problem with the procedure file. Open the LDZA.txt file and look towards the bottom in the section titled APPROACHES. The line that starts APPROACH ILS05 is the written procedure for that approach. It is a simple context, it will read something like APPROACH ILS05 FIX FAF XXXX (altitidue) RNW 05 then what follows between RNW 05 and either keyword TRANSITION or next APPROACH is the written procedure for the hold.Paste a copy of that approach here and we will parse it together.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan.Here it is:APPROACH ILS05 FIX CF05 3000 FIX OM05 1550 RNW 05 TRK 046 UNTIL 753 HOLD AT FIX ZAG RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 218 ALT 4000 SPEED 250 LEGTIME 1After GA the a/c will climb to 4000ft and then it will turn to the left like inbound course is 038

Is PIS the FAF for the approach (I am not where I check the LDZA.txt procedures file)?If the 737 does the same thing then it is most likely problem with the procedure file. Open the LDZA.txt file and look towards the bottom in the section titled APPROACHES. The line that starts APPROACH ILS05 is the written procedure for that approach. It is a simple context, it will read something like APPROACH ILS05 FIX FAF XXXX (altitidue) RNW 05 then what follows between RNW 05 and either keyword TRANSITION or next APPROACH is the written procedure for the hold.Paste a copy of that approach here and we will parse it together.

After holding at PIS, I would do the samething you ended up doing which was to allow LOC capture to take you out of holding and through the approach. You can also do as I suggested and GOTO the OM.The HOLD procedure is written correctly. I think what is happening is the FMS is using a teardrop entry. If this is true, the first turn after station passage will be to the left. It will then fly away from the station then turn right towards the station thus starting the right turn pattern NE of station. Did you let her go through at least two revolutions?The teardrop entry would be the best choice in this case.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi DanI will try and report.Thanks again on your effort Has

After holding at PIS, I would do the samething you ended up doing which was to allow LOC capture to take you out of holding and through the approach. You can also do as I suggested and GOTO the OM.The HOLD procedure is written correctly. I think what is happening is the FMS is using a teardrop entry. If this is true, the first turn after station passage will be to the left. It will then fly away from the station then turn right towards the station thus starting the right turn pattern NE of station. Did you let her go through at least two revolutions?The teardrop entry would be the best choice in this case.

Wikipedia is such a great resource... good article there on aviation holding patterns and the three different methods of entry (direct, teardrop and parallel). Although the FARs do not specify how to enter holding (the manuals do discuss the standard methods), every flight instructor is going to drill the instrument rating student until they can do it intuitively. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_(aviation)

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan.I tried two revolutions and it was as You said. It goes to the right :( So, there is only one question. Is it correct behavior that If I engage APP mode before exit from holding, there is no change in active waypoint for example:PIS(HOLDING POINT) FIX1 FIX2 FIX3....LDZA (dest airport) ZAG (missed app holding point)I arm holding exit at fix PIS and engage APP Mode before overflying PIS. I capture G/S and LOC but last active waypoint is PIS.The problem is that if I perform missed app (TOGA engaged) and if I push NAV the a/c will return to the first point after PIS let say FIX1.Is it my procedure correct or this is the bug. ThanksHas

HiOk, the solution is that first you must overfly holding point exit, and then you can execute APP mode.Has

Hi Dan.I tried two revolutions and it was as You said. It goes to the right :( So, there is only one question. Is it correct behavior that If I engage APP mode before exit from holding, there is no change in active waypoint for example:PIS(HOLDING POINT) FIX1 FIX2 FIX3....LDZA (dest airport) ZAG (missed app holding point)I arm holding exit at fix PIS and engage APP Mode before overflying PIS. I capture G/S and LOC but last active waypoint is PIS.The problem is that if I perform missed app (TOGA engaged) and if I push NAV the a/c will return to the first point after PIS let say FIX1.Is it my procedure correct or this is the bug. ThanksHas