Sign in to follow this  
boergej

MD-11 / Fuel Dump question

Hi.At the moment I'm trying to understand how to dump fuel. But the dump stopped before I wish it should have stopped! I've attached a picture where you can see dump status on the instruments when the dumping stopped. It should have continued to a GW of 205.000 kg. Also I've been reading in the doc files trying to understand what I'm missing or doing wrong.Can someone tell me in a simple way (english is not my native language) what I have to do to get the dump continued. For any advise I thank you in forehand.RegardsBoerge (Jensen is my last name)

Guest cfgarrod

I think that there are low level float switches in the tanks that stop you dumping below 15,600kg (5200Kg each main tank), otherwise you could dump yourself into an uncomfortable situation...Chris

I think that there are low level float switches in the tanks that stop you dumping below 15,600kg (5200Kg each main tank), otherwise you could dump yourself into an uncomfortable situation...Chris
Hi Chris.Thank you for answering me. I now understand it's not possible to dump fuel to max landing weight. This means I have to be in the holding pattern for another 30 min. or so - before landing.Boerge

Guest cfgarrod

It is possible, I guess it depends on your zero fuel weight...Chris

Hi again.I've now done another flight where fuel dump was necessary due to too high landing weight. Dumped amount of fuel was 7800 kg. Please look at the attached picture. When looking at the fuel display there is 18800 kg. available. But the MCDU tells me there is a UFOB of 26600 kg. Should the MCDU not reflect the amount of fuel after a dump? Am I misunderstanding something - or is this a (small) bug?BTW - also take a look at the wind shown on the ND. Most of the flight (SCEL - SCCI) was in heavy wind coming from the west. There's a difference between heading and tracking of 14 degrees!Anyway. The MD-11 is a fantastic airplane simulation! And the landing went well.Boerge

Hi guys,one more example for the exigence of extensive planning charts for the MD-11! Could anybody help Boerge not dumping so much fuel into the sim environment?Just jokin' - that's the advantage of simulation. No fuel costs and almost no polution of the atmosphere.Denis

Guest krullenbol
Hi again.I've now done another flight where fuel dump was necessary due to too high landing weight. Dumped amount of fuel was 7800 kg. Please look at the attached picture. When looking at the fuel display there is 18800 kg. available. But the MCDU tells me there is a UFOB of 26600 kg. Should the MCDU not reflect the amount of fuel after a dump? Am I misunderstanding something - or is this a (small) bug?BTW - also take a look at the wind shown on the ND. Most of the flight (SCEL - SCCI) was in heavy wind coming from the west. There's a difference between heading and tracking of 14 degrees!Anyway. The MD-11 is a fantastic airplane simulation! And the landing went well.Boerge
After Fuel dumping, go to the weight init page and type "/FQ" and line select 1R. Now the FMS only uses the actual fuel quantity on board, because after fuel dumping fuel flow information isn't reliable anymore. Floris

Hi guys,one more example for the exigence of extensive planning charts for the MD-11! Could anybody help Boerge not dumping so much fuel into the sim environment?Just jokin' - that's the advantage of simulation. No fuel costs and almost no polution of the atmosphere.Denis
Denis.Normally I use the MCDU for fuel planning - and this method is well enough for me. As I mentioned earlier I'm only testing the fuel system - trying to understand how it works. And as you say the advantage of simulation is that one can test (do stupid things to) different systems without hurting anyone. Another advantage is the possibily to get in contact with fellow simmers who have a sense of humor too!

After Fuel dumping, go to the weight init page and type "/FQ" and line select 1R. Now the FMS only uses the actual fuel quantity on board, because after fuel dumping fuel flow information isn't reliable anymore. Floris
Floris.Thanks for pointing this out to me. I will try this on my next test flight. :(