Sign in to follow this  
Guest Florian

MD11 - Change Approach-Procedures

Guest Florian

Hi,whats the right way to change Approach-Procedures? Do i have to delete every waypoint of the old provcedure manually, or is it possible to replace the STAR/Transition and Approach like it is possible in the Boeing-FMC

The secret is understanding how LAT REV works, since you have to go this route instead of an ARR selection menu in the Boeing. It is different.If you want to change STAR/IAP before you enter the STAR it is easy. Use LAT REV at the entry fix to the arrival route and select a different arrival route or approach.If you are in the STAR but on on approach yet, be careful to select the fix that terminates the arrival route and select a different approach.If you are careful where you use LAT REV you should not have to do any deleting. Don't forget the easy to use GOTO function, it can be helpful in some of these casesThe FMS will automatically delete the old route and replace it with the new route if it recognizes that this is the case, but if you select a fix midway in an arrival route it will not give you the hoped for results.

Dan Downs KCRP

My question relates to this.... What if I am "behind" in my cockpit management, and I want to enter the course and ILS freq manually?I noticed a page where I can enter the info, and "standby" for the approach side, but "active" for the FMC side. Can I set ILS ACTIVE and have it acquire? First couple attemps at a FULL ILS I had to take over manually because it never captured. :(Thanks!

The secret is understanding how LAT REV works, since you have to go this route instead of an ARR selection menu in the Boeing. It is different.If you want to change STAR/IAP before you enter the STAR it is easy. Use LAT REV at the entry fix to the arrival route and select a different arrival route or approach.If you are in the STAR but on on approach yet, be careful to select the fix that terminates the arrival route and select a different approach.If you are careful where you use LAT REV you should not have to do any deleting. Don't forget the easy to use GOTO function, it can be helpful in some of these casesThe FMS will automatically delete the old route and replace it with the new route if it recognizes that this is the case, but if you select a fix midway in an arrival route it will not give you the hoped for results.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler