Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

New 9800GT 512mb, Nhancer, sim now unflyable because textures load so slowly

Guest D17S

Might try a chkdsk run to make sure nothin' got fragged. Make sure the card's res is set to your monitor's default res. Delete the FS9.cfg as before. Then try FS in full screen, full window and non-full window'd mode. Just stuff to try.

Guest djt01
OK I installed my new 9800GT 512mb last night. My previous card was an old, old ATI X850 Pro. As per the instructions listed in a few threads on this forum I booted in safe mode, ran driver sweeper to purge all old video drivers from my system,
You

Guest ppokit
Well I went in to the bios and read a few threads about the ASRock boards, I made the changes and changed a few promising looking settings. For instance my primary graphics slot (or whatever it's called) was set to PCI, so I set it to PCI-express. I also chose to go asynchronous with my PCI-e bus speed and limit it to 100 as recommended (any higher than 100 overclocks the graphics card, making it run faster but perhaps making it unstable, mine was set to synch with my FSB speed which at 290, meant my PCI-e was running at 109mhz). Changed those settings (changed them one by one of course, to see if any individual setting had any positive effect) and didn't notice any improvement in the graphics behavior with any of the changes, but it DID make my system unstable. my nv4_disp.dll driver kept locking up and the system would lock up and then give me a blue screen of death, forcing a reboot. This happened both when running the sim and once even when I wasn't running the sim, just browsing the web. I tried changing to various sets of drivers and still got blue screen of death (and yes, I used the approved safe mode > driver sweeper > reboot > install new driver > reboot). I'm kindof at a loss here. When I saw that setting for Primary Graphics Interface or whatever (I forget the actual term used in the bios) I got excited because it was set to PCI, when I'm obviously using a PCI-express card and I thought "hey, this might be the problem! but it did not make any difference. bummed me out a little bit. btw ppokit I did try mesing with the texture_bandwidth_mult on the day I got the card, no change. :(
Thats a shame.One of the reasons why I moved from the ASROCK board to GIGABYTE were the lock ups associated with nv4_disp, when overclocking my CPU (PCIE bus tied &/or untied to FSB).When I returned my E4400 & FSB to default speed the lock ups went away, but performance was, as you know, not exactly stellar.It also turned out I had a bad stick of DDR2 - whenever I ran any intensive program (including GPU benchmark progs) I would get random crashes, often pointing at nv4_disp being the culprit. I was close to returning my 8800GT, but out of curiosity ran memtest, and sure enough one of the sticks of DDR2 was bad....New board, new DDR, stable overclock - all is now OK.I hope you get this sorted - the 9/8800 GT is a very good card, now even more so because they aren't that expensive these days.