Sign in to follow this  
Mzee

How to prevent automatic retraction of flaps MD-11

While on a nice stable approach with the MD-11 I switched off the autopilot at about 1000 feet above ground. Speed was okay. Then flaps/slats were automatically retracted (without me noticing it, I must admit). I only realized this later when watching the landing from the outside perspective: No flaps at all. What was I doing wrong, how to prevent this happening again? Thanks for any helpful hint.

Guest ashwath
While on a nice stable approach with the MD-11 I switched off the autopilot at about 1000 feet above ground. Speed was okay. Then flaps/slats were automatically retracted (without me noticing it, I must admit). I only realized this later when watching the landing from the outside perspective: No flaps at all. What was I doing wrong, how to prevent this happening again? Thanks for any helpful hint.
hi,for your kind information...you did not make a mistake...the flaps/slats would definitely not have retracted...it is the replay that is causing u to misunderstand as none of the flight recorders are able to record and playback the flaps/slats movements in the MD-11 accurately. so dont bother. if u want to verify again...switch to wing view when ur landing in real time and not in replay mode anf u'll notice that ur flaps/slats are proper.. regards,

If your flaps had retracted on final you would have had warnings going off and eventualy a big smoking virtual hole in the ground :)Rob

Rob Prest

Thanks, I must admit I was a bit suprised the landing was rather smooth.