Sign in to follow this  
metzgergva

Trim settings on take-off changed with new version

Hi,hope it is OK to put this as a topic again as with the other post there are some user issues.I flew the original FSX version for 2 month and the trim settings given from the TO page gave excellent handling during rotation and initial climb. Now having flown the FS9 and FSX version including the update with different loadings, that is not the case anymore. Following the recomended data, the plane rotates on a tiny move on the yoke and to fly FMS climb out speed needs immediate forward trimming.I do take care of having fuelling completed and let CoG calculation refresh to actual load.From what my knowledge of TO trim is that it is mostly V2+10 or even V2+20 which is is the speed you trim for and that is included in the FMS calculation. So the original FSX version was spot on, the latest FS9/FSX version is unfortunately different. Would be great if you could correct that in a future update.Best!Alexander M. Metzger

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Hi,hope it is OK to put this as a topic again as with the other post there are some user issues.I flew the original FSX version for 2 month and the trim settings given from the TO page gave excellent handling during rotation and initial climb. Now having flown the FS9 and FSX version including the update with different loadings, that is not the case anymore. Following the recomended data, the plane rotates on a tiny move on the yoke and to fly FMS climb out speed needs immediate forward trimming.I do take care of having fuelling completed and let CoG calculation refresh to actual load.From what my knowledge of TO trim is that it is mostly V2+10 or even V2+20 which is is the speed you trim for and that is included in the FMS calculation. So the original FSX version was spot on, the latest FS9/FSX version is unfortunately different. Would be great if you could correct that in a future update.Best!Alexander M. Metzger
I notice a similar behaviour before the update the weights were lower for same chosen load in the load manager (eg full was around 177 tons ZFW and now 195 tons ZFW) and obviously the trim settings cacluated is different. Before at VR you had to 'pull' the AC into the air which it rotated at a nice steady rate, now I notice even before VR just after V1 the plane starts to get 'light', like it it almost lifts off the ground by itself and when you pull back the rotation rate is much quicker for the same amount of stick pull.Jay V.

Glad I'm not the only person seeing this..Rob

Rob Prest

It isn't all that surprising though as the STAB numbers have pretty much doubled to what they used to be before the update, whether this has anything to do with the new H distribution setting in the load manager I do not know. I use Kilo weight units I don't know if this is relevant to any testing you may wish to do.

Cheers, Andy.

Yeah I've started using much lower Trim values then given by the MCDU not very realistic but neither is no Performance tables Flex numbers etc etc etc etc .... great systems simulator tho lol :(

Rob Prest

I must admit I reran the FS9 tutorial last night with all the right weights/figures and as stated got the stab trim as 7.6 as in the tutorial and agreed on the to/appr page and she shot up in the air I had to really push the yoke forward to stop it going vertical. It still went to protection mode even then.I'm now setting the trim so it's just inside the green band.... works ok then. Does seem a very sprightly bird compared to before the adjustment.Not moaning or nitpicking. I haven't tried it on the L setting so can't compare yet lol.John Ellison

I'm on a short hop OBBI - OKBK aircraft gave me a trim setting of 7.2 I gave her 4.2 and a the max flex temp of 70c and she rotated perfectly, no frantic post rotation trimming needed to follow the FD. Her pitch on climb is so steep but I guess it's like that on the real thing, it would scare the sh*t out of me in real life!I always fly her with max cargo and havn't done a longhaul haul with a Heavy fuel load but she reminds me of the rare occasions I would perform a Max thrust T/O with a empty 744FRob

Rob Prest

Guest sunbear

Has the issue with the Stab. trim been resolved or commented on my the PMDG team. This is a very important issue and I'm awaiting somebody from PMDG to address this seemingly unresolved anomaly before I initiate a purchase of this software. Regards,jack

It shouldn't deter you from buying the product, Just follow some of the suggestions on the thread.Rob

Rob Prest

Same problem with FSX version as well... I'm gonna set trim to 'just' in green band for now and still be prepared. H or L makes no difference, still a rocket ship lol.Sure it'll ne looed into though, probably just a tweak required, ok before the patch, so no big deal.At least aware of it now lol.John Ellison

I also have a rocket takeoff in FS9. To follow the FD bars I have to push my yoke.But since I'm not a real life MD-11 captain and I heard this bird is a rocket, I thought it is normal.Now I just don't know.Best regards,Rafal