Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim W

Problems with Direct X 9.0A

Guest Tim W

I installed DX9 from the MS site yesterday in the hope that it would cure some blue screen VXD___ errors I randomly get on starting FS2002. I use Win98 SE and created a restore before I did the install using Norton Ghost just in case.After the installation I rebooted and the machine started ok. I checked DXDIAG and on the "display 1" tab I was unable to select "Enable Direct 3D". It was greyed out. Anyway I started FS2002 and it ran ok for about 2 hours till I went to bed. This morning I started the computer and it wouldn't boot up fully, I usually get a CREATIVE logo on the screen with some music before my icons appear. This time nothing. Just the wallpaper. CTL+ALT+DEL showed only "Explorer" running. I turned off the computer and on again and it started up fine with the creative logo and the icons.Then during running FS2002 again I got another blue screen VXD___ error and had to re-boot, again the same problem. No Creative logo and no icons, 2nd reboot and it was ok. The third time I started FS and got the old VXD___ blue screen error and so I restored my back up ghost image and I'm back where I was yesterday with DX8.1 and the D3D option is enabled this time.Question is, is it a conflict between DX9 and my Creative Audigy drivers. They are the latest for the card from the Creative site. The fact is that installing DX9 didn't solve my problem but I know FS2004 will ship with and will require DX9 so am I going to have the same problems later on?I have never heard of a possible conflict between DX9 and Creative drivers and why is it starting up fine on the 2nd boot up, and why do I get no D3D enabled tab?If anyone has any ideas on this I'd appreciate it. Sorry to ramble on a bit.RegardsTim

This is the main reason I went from Win95-Win98-Win98SE-Win2000-WinXp Pro.I too got these same errors all the time whilst playing FS2002.Don't know what to tell ya...

It's not likely that the problem is DX9, per se, but, rather, DX9 has just increased the severity. I'd restore back to your pre-DX9 state, fix the virtual driver problem (I know that's not an easy job) and then reinstall DX9. There is little to be gained by leaving things where they are. Just as an aside, when I was running Win98SE I ran into the VXD problem(s) twice. I had to reformat and reinstall the OS both times to clear them.Trip

Guest Tim W

Hi TripWell I am back at the pre DX9 state now and I wish I could fix the VXD problem. I just don't know what's causing it. The blue screen message is pretty vague.I only get the VXD error in FS2002. I know I should bite the bullet and do a complete reformat and install Win XP it's just the getting around to it! I keep putting it off. Mainly due to the amount of addons that I have bought (and lost codes for) etc etc.Thanks for the info anyway.RegardsTim

I really empathize with you on the VXD problem(s). Those two episodes I went through were probably the most frustrating times I ever spent trying to "fix" something with Win98. I spent literally weeks of time trying to find a solution - all to no avail. One thing you may want to consider with a reformat/WinXP install is adding a small (and inexpensive) hardrive to use as a backup device. 20-40GB drives are pretty cheap and adding one will forever solve your FS200x backup problem. As FS200x doesn't add anything to the system outside it's own main folder, copying the entire installation to a separate drive really works well. And it's a great way to store an extra copy of all the add-on stuff.Trip

Guest Tim W

TripThanks for the reply. I know what you are saying. Thanks for the suggestions.RegardsTim