Sign in to follow this  
Guest doyneditmas1

Windows 7 Beta 64bit Question....

Guest doyneditmas1

I am running XP proferssional 32bit with lots of addons that sometime give me OOM errors unless I use the 3GB switch.... I downloaded the 64bit Windows 7 build and came across thisIn a simple manner, (in less than 30 minutes), Windows 7 can be installed directly from your current desktop alongside an existing Windows XP operating system (but on a different partition) without burning a DVD. Even more, all applications that are currently installed on the Windows XP will work on Windows 7 without the need to reinstall them (you will just have to create shortcuts to the executable file). At the boot phase, you will be able to select the desired operating system: Windows 7 or Windows XP.Now if I am reading this correctly could I run FS2004 on my new partitioned Windows 7 build 64 bit thus allowing all of my 4GB to be seen and used and getting rid of the dreaded OOM problems but doing it without re installing all the programs.....which would save considerable time from my XP partition... would be fun to see how the performance runs...Any help most apprecaited....Hamish :(

Microsoft must have made some real improvements to Vista. It appears to me that they screwed up royally with Vista and don't have the decency to offer Windows 7 as a free replacement. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of Microsoft. I personally will not change anything until they can show me a solid product. Anyone that has gone through the misery of trying to load XP based software into Vista can't be happy, Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Let us know how the Windows 7 performs. Good luck.

I am running XP proferssional 32bit with lots of addons that sometime give me OOM errors unless I use the 3GB switch.... I downloaded the 64bit Windows 7 build and came across thisIn a simple manner, (in less than 30 minutes), Windows 7 can be installed directly from your current desktop alongside an existing Windows XP operating system (but on a different partition) without burning a DVD. Even more, all applications that are currently installed on the Windows XP will work on Windows 7 without the need to reinstall them (you will just have to create shortcuts to the executable file). At the boot phase, you will be able to select the desired operating system: Windows 7 or Windows XP.Now if I am reading this correctly could I run FS2004 on my new partitioned Windows 7 build 64 bit thus allowing all of my 4GB to be seen and used and getting rid of the dreaded OOM problems but doing it without re installing all the programs.....which would save considerable time from my XP partition... would be fun to see how the performance runs...Any help most apprecaited....Hamish :(
If you can install in a seperate partition without screwing up XP, and use your existing apps without re-installation, you can give it a try. Be aware that it is a beta! You will still have to run FS9 patched for 3GB in order to allow it to use more than 2 GBytes of address space, regardless of how much physical memory is on the machine.DJ

I suggest you check the "Active Sky Advanced" thread in this forum. There is a pretty long discussion about what OS. I did many tests on different operating systems, and my suggestion is, use XP64. Windows 7 might prove to be a good OS in time, but right now, its nothing more than a beta. Besides, knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't use an OS before the first SP.

Guest doyneditmas1
I suggest you check the "Active Sky Advanced" thread in this forum. There is a pretty long discussion about what OS. I did many tests on different operating systems, and my suggestion is, use XP64. Windows 7 might prove to be a good OS in time, but right now, its nothing more than a beta. Besides, knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't use an OS before the first SP.
Thanks Guys for your thoughts.... I was thinking of waiting only because of the pain of reinstalling all my programs to a new OS temporarily albeit a 64bit one which now I wish I had done rather than go for XP professional 32 bit because of the OOM errors that I have with Pmdg 747+ lots of addons, and I wanted to see if by dual booting I could see the if there was a performance increase with the new OS... I will definately cut out Vista but its a pain to go for XP 64 for 12 months and then have to re insatll everything a second time if Windows 7 looks to be good......

I recently did my yearly format and went from XP 32bit to Vista 64bit. I have onlt been at it about two weeks now but outside of some minor glitches all is well and I'm glad I switched.

I would say simply creating new shortcuts from apps installed on a different OS is setting up for disaster. Most apps rely on entries in the registry, or on files located by environment references to places such as %systemroot%, %appdata%, "my documents" etc.scott s..