Sign in to follow this  
ulisses

long flight in FS2002 and win XP

Hello,Last night I started a long flight in FS2002 and I left the machine, slept and today morning the aircraft was flying fine, but the system was very slow, the aircraft textures weren't showing and I started to get some menu errors....then FS couldn't exit, ctrl+alt+del wasn't working (error on opening it), etc...Maybe my memory and system resources were full (Athlon XP2000+ 512mb winXPpro)Any idea ? Anyway to avoid that and improve system resources ???Thanks,Ulisses

Did you check the temps on that Athlon? I know if I would do that my CPU would be all sticky and a very strong smoke smell would be all through the house. LOL

Did it also, made a long flight. No problems like described. Made a smooth landing after the Trip Amsterdam-Singapore!! I use a AMD Athlon 1200 with 512mb RAM.Tino

Guest outtatimeiii

My hot Athlon 1.2 T-bird would be the most likely one to burn up doing this sort of thing....but it never did when I tried it LOL. 16 hours nonstop in a B-52 and CPU temps never got past 155F which is {gasp} normal for this computer LOL.

Guest ba747heavy

Definately sounds like a heat problem. That, or you had windows up too long without rebooting and cleaning out the RAM.

Guest outtatimeiii

I'm not the one having the problem, Ulysses is LOL. My comp is always that hot and it never caused any sort of problems because of heat.

Hi,Looks like the second option (RAM), because after a reboot everything went back to normal...maybe there is a software to manage resources and RAM.Thanks,Ulisses

FS2002 does not work well on WinXP, unless you are a guru or a computer engineer.I posted on flightsimcom the following problems, after I had been going fine on Win ME:1)Your problem - XP runs out of steam. Takes about 1 hour. No overheating. I can retrieve RAM with Ramboost, which teporarily fixes this.Since tweaking XP: Black Viper - http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm - No more problems, but you have to know what you're doing!2)Sudden termination of FS2002 3)Termination of all glass gauges after 5 minutes of flight. 4)Gradual slowdown of the FS over an hour, needing a reboot - your problem - it is common! 5) When switching aircraft, the panel of the previous aircraft stays put or the sound from the previous aircraft stays put. I've flown an L1011 with a Cessna 172 sound! 6)FSNavigator becomes fussy, and will not slow the aircraft down on Final, nor will it allow you to take over manual control by disabling the Autopilot. Sometimes, even though the AP is turned off, the IAS light stays on.Other problems also occur such as violent course changes, and ground impact! This even happens when NOT using FSNav. - can't slow down!Can this all be due to XP Pro? I think not as there are many satisfied users. It just needs to be stroked! I have since installed FS2002 on to another computer with Windows 98 and have had no further trouble (apart from the huge job of reinstalling all the aircraft and scenery). I am writing this to let potential Windows XP buyers know there may be problems. Regular other Forum Posts also complain of problems, although we are lonely complainers. Perhaps the hardware in this particular Dell of mine has problems. I had a Computer Science Graduate (on Faculty of California State University) go through the computer with a fine tooth comb, and nothing came up. Also, when I installed Service Pack I, the Sim became inoperable. The worst Bug is no.1, when just as you are going into Final, the Sim bleats, shuts down FS2002 in a flash, and asks for you to send an error message to Microsoft.In total, I have sent them over 30 messages.Let them figure it out; I'm back in Windows 98. (Computer: Dell P4 1.8GHz, >1GigRAM, 120 Western Digital HD,Geoforce 3 Video card with 64 K ). Please do not become personal in your remarks when and if you reply to this posting. I am puzzled and want help. Thankshttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/2879.jpgVrystaat!

Guest ba747heavy

Man you are screwy! First telling people that XP sucks with FS2002 and needs to be stroked. This may be your experience, but not mine, and probably not most others!And then you say that OO Cache screws up peoples computers? Man alive, they use that on *servers*, you think it messes up peoples computers?!

Guest RichardL

Hi Ulisses,You might want to check Power Management. Something might be going "to sleep" after that long without any mouse activity, and not waking up properly. I normally disable hardrive, display, etc shutdown.Richard

Guest ba747heavy

I whole heartedly recommend using that software. It is a great piece of work.