Sign in to follow this  
speedbird2001

Drivers for 9800gtx+

Hi Everyone, Firstly apologies if this has been covered before. Hand on Heart I have trawled the forums looking for an answer to this. Can anyone tell me the best drivers for FS9 using an 9800gtx+ I am ordering a new computer tommorrow and I want to make sure everything is set up correctly. If this makes any differance I am using XP pro 32bt and an asus p5q mother board. Many thanks in anticipation. Tristan.

Guest Nealoc187

Good luck, I asked this same question and searched extensively myself over the last few days for the exact same topic (9800GT for me). Only got one specific reply which was that he was using the latest drivers (181.20) and they worked just fine.

Good luck, I asked this same question and searched extensively myself over the last few days for the exact same topic (9800GT for me). Only got one specific reply which was that he was using the latest drivers (181.20) and they worked just fine.
Well... a new 9800GT for me also. My old Asus MB bit the dust, so, here we go again... I'd be interested in getting an answer , too. :(Regards,Jure

I just bought an Asus 9800GTX+ over Christmas. What a nice card. Upgraded from a 8600GTS. I never installed the drivers that came with the card (I think they are 178.24), I went right to NVidia and got what was then the latest/greatest that was 180.48. They recently released 181.20 and that's what I'm running now. I have Nhancer and it is working fine. I've tried the hopped up drivers from Guru3D. They aren't all they're cracked up to be IMHO. I don't overclock, and all I want is good graphics, a decent frame rate, and stability. The NVidia drivers are the most stable. I don't have the numbers anymore but I did a comparison using a thing called 3DMark2006 or something like that. Spent hours on this and ended up using NVidia's anyway. The tweaked drivers only gave a very slight unnoticeable nudge.Dolph

Guest _Sheva_
I just bought an Asus 9800GTX+ over Christmas. What a nice card. Upgraded from a 8600GTS. I never installed the drivers that came with the card (I think they are 178.24), I went right to NVidia and got what was then the latest/greatest that was 180.48. They recently released 181.20 and that's what I'm running now. I have Nhancer and it is working fine. I've tried the hopped up drivers from Guru3D. They aren't all they're cracked up to be IMHO. I don't overclock, and all I want is good graphics, a decent frame rate, and stability. The NVidia drivers are the most stable. I don't have the numbers anymore but I did a comparison using a thing called 3DMark2006 or something like that. Spent hours on this and ended up using NVidia's anyway. The tweaked drivers only gave a very slight unnoticeable nudge.Dolph
Works fine? Then you could help me.Bought new PC recently Q6600, 9800GTX+, 4GB RAM, P5Q...my probelm is just with the GPU and its drivers and AA.Im flying on IVAO and when Im showing/hiding IVAP window and/or the different panel windows Im getting black window and unable switch back to normal FS9 screen. Then I have to close FS and Im unable to fly. So if here is some one using the 9800GTX could you please post here your drivers, setting...I also tried nHancer but no success...Thank you.

Thats really helpful. Thanks very much. So it looks like 181.20. Could anyone recommend the correct or prefered settings on the card with in conjunction with the counter part settings in FS9 please. Thanks. Tristan.

GeForce Release 178.24 was very good IMHO. 181.20, no problems so far. The version in between had a bit of a hiccup on my system. I'm using a 9600GT.In FS9 AA is disabled, filtering is on trilinear. I use the nVidia control panel in Standard mode and set 3D settings to Quality. Then I use nHancer and use the following instructions/settings:1. Start nHancer.2. Go to Options and check Allow override of predefined settings.3. Find the "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile.4. Now set your stuff on the right side of the screen:Enhancements Tab:AA: Multisampling 8xQ Uncheck Enhance in-game AA setting Check Gamma correction Check Multi-Transparancey AAAF: 16xOptimizations Tab: Texture Filtering - High Quality Trilinear optimization - Off Aniso. sample optimization - Off Negative LOD BIAS - Clamp (really important for eliminating blurries and shimmering)Works for me. I use this specific AA setting to avoid hard to read text of the ATC window and GPS receiver, something I once posted a thread about. The instructions and most of the settings were posted in a thread somewhere on the net. I think by one of the PMDG members, in a thread about AA and nVidia cards.

Mike...

Guest _Sheva_
GeForce Release 178.24 was very good IMHO. 181.20, no problems so far. The version in between had a bit of a hiccup on my system. I'm using a 9600GT.In FS9 AA is disabled, filtering is on trilinear. I use the nVidia control panel in Standard mode and set 3D settings to Quality. Then I use nHancer and use the following instructions/settings:1. Start nHancer.2. Go to Options and check Allow override of predefined settings.3. Find the "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile.4. Now set your stuff on the right side of the screen:Enhancements Tab:AA: Multisampling 8xQ Uncheck Enhance in-game AA setting Check Gamma correction Check Multi-Transparancey AAAF: 16xOptimizations Tab: Texture Filtering - High Quality Trilinear optimization - Off Aniso. sample optimization - Off Negative LOD BIAS - Clamp (really important for eliminating blurries and shimmering)Works for me. I use this specific AA setting to avoid hard to read text of the ATC window and GPS receiver, something I once posted a thread about. The instructions and most of the settings were posted in a thread somewhere on the net. I think by one of the PMDG members, in a thread about AA and nVidia cards.
Well the AA istelf is working for me too. What is my problem:When eg. showing/hiding IVAP window I keep getting something we can call doublescreen...check the screen bellow. Simply when I wanna show IVAP window it somehow draw the window that was there before...PS:Its not in drawing, this is exactly what I get when showing the IVAP...I was in drawing before50907664dj1.jpg

I don't use IVAP so I dunno but I have never seen anything like that on my system. Did it do that before you set Nhancer up? I would try doing one thing at a time. Without NHancer to get AA, does that happen?Did you remove your old drivers using a cleaner like Driver Cleaner Pro? Every time I change drivers I go through this ritual:Open control panel, then device managerUninstall video driver and check the box "Delete the software driver for this device"Reboot into safe modeRun Driver Cleaner ProRemove all NVidia (there are four selections)Reboot normallyInstall new driversRebootThis takes some time but it's worth it. Remnants of old drivers cause weird things to happen.Dolph

I have an 8800GT. Would you or anybody else know if the settings above are optimum for that card as well?Thanks,Phil

GeForce Release 178.24 was very good IMHO. 181.20, no problems so far. The version in between had a bit of a hiccup on my system. I'm using a 9600GT.In FS9 AA is disabled, filtering is on trilinear. I use the nVidia control panel in Standard mode and set 3D settings to Quality. Then I use nHancer and use the following instructions/settings:1. Start nHancer.2. Go to Options and check Allow override of predefined settings.3. Find the "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile.4. Now set your stuff on the right side of the screen:Enhancements Tab:AA: Multisampling 8xQUncheck Enhance in-game AA settingCheck Gamma correctionCheck Multi-Transparancey AAAF: 16xOptimizations Tab:Texture Filtering - High QualityTrilinear optimization - OffAniso. sample optimization - OffNegative LOD BIAS - Clamp (really important for eliminating blurries and shimmering)Works for me. I use this specific AA setting to avoid hard to read text of the ATC window and GPS receiver, something I once posted a thread about. The instructions and most of the settings were posted in a thread somewhere on the net. I think by one of the PMDG members, in a thread about AA and nVidia cards.
This worked for me. After hours of trying a bunch of other stuff. A couple of notes:1. I had to restart FS after making the changes in nHancer for them to work.2. I updated to 1.92 drivers, and still had the AA problem, so this procedure is still applicable.3. If you just use the in-game settings for AA, I noticed that if you are either in windowed mode OR bring up any kind of menu (either alt for top menu or context menu), the AA settings go away. Just kind of an interesting thing to note.I was unable to get windowed mode AA (with in game setting OFF) to work until I tried this nhancer thing. Every once in a while, paypal makes sense.Thanks for writing this up; no way I would have figured it out on my own.

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.

This worked for me. After hours of trying a bunch of other stuff. A couple of notes:1. I had to restart FS after making the changes in nHancer for them to work.2. I updated to 1.92 drivers, and still had the AA problem, so this procedure is still applicable.3. If you just use the in-game settings for AA, I noticed that if you are either in windowed mode OR bring up any kind of menu (either alt for top menu or context menu), the AA settings go away. Just kind of an interesting thing to note.I was unable to get windowed mode AA (with in game setting OFF) to work until I tried this nhancer thing. Every once in a while, paypal makes sense.Thanks for writing this up; no way I would have figured it out on my own.
Big bump there... :(