Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

upgrading motherboard

I am upgrading my motherboard next week, so I will be doing a frsh install of everything. seeing the md-11 is a download only program, will I be able to get a download link again?

I don't think so. The link is only valid for 7 or so days, and after that, if you haven't made a backup of the installer file on your hard drive, then you have to pay for PMDG's extended download service.

I don't think so. The link is only valid for 7 or so days, and after that, if you haven't made a backup of the installer file on your hard drive, then you have to pay for PMDG's extended download service.
I hope that is not the case. since I am starting out with a new hard drive and new operating system install (you have to with a motherboard upgrade) that won't work. My only alternative is a download link. if you could just copy and paste the download onto a cd-rom disk or thumb drive, someone could simply make copies of the download and hand it out for free. Why don't they just have the md-11 on cd-rom?

If you're changing the motherboard yourself then you can always add your old hdd as a slave to get the download off that or bung it in an external caddy and do it that way.John E

Why not just replace the motherboard, reconnect the hard drive and see if Windows boots? If it doesn't, try a repair reinstall, where just the system files are installed, but keeps all personal settings and files/programs installed.

if you could just copy and paste the download onto a cd-rom disk or thumb drive, someone could simply make copies of the download and hand it out for free.
I always backup my downloaded software immediately. You should have done so too. Do you still have the downloaded file on your old system? If so, burn it on a cd today! All FS software you buy online can be backupped and burned on cd/dvd. You can indeed make copies etc. but of course that's illegal. I am glad I don't have to download all my software again and again everytime I do a reinstall!

David,it is not safe practice not to back up any of your purchased software as downloads. Before you begin the process of replacing the hardware and reinstalling the OS (which is highly recommendable, a repair install MAY work, but also may not, or you may experience performance related problems, which only a reinstall of the OS can correct)I strongly recommend that you back up all your purchased installers and their respective licence or key files, BEFOREHAND... as well as any other important personal files you have."if you could just copy and paste the download onto a cd-rom disk or thumb drive, someone could simply make copies of the download and hand it out for free"... Sorry, but that is incorrect, as you require the install to be validated. Just having the executable does not suffice, as the product will not install without a valid licence.Jeroen, it is generally not considered to be illegal to make backups of files purchased, otherwise all backup software would be branded as pirating kit and thus illegal to purchase and install... ;) It is the unlawful distribution of those backup copies that causes the issues. Or are you telling me that my RAID1 disc set up (which automatically makes copies of all the files I send to the drive) is illegal and I must stop using it immediately? ;)Andrew