Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Miracle on the Hudson

A USAir A320 flight 1549 taking off from Laguadia to Charlotte NC has ditched into the Hudson River following a reported bird strike of geese. The excellent piloting skills of the crew resulted in no reported (as of yet) injuries. He evidently had the foresight to put her down right in Midtown Manhattan where ferries, and the Circle Line tour boats were based. The first boat on the scene was a New York Waterway ferry which aided in the evacuation. As of now the aircraft is still afloat and they are trying to tow it closer to shore before she goes under. My hats off to the crew for for minimizing what could have been a real tragedy.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest zacharace

I'm amazed that this happened a little over an hour and a half ago, and we already know so many details. News media these days :(.Glad there were no casualties. I do want to point out, though, that the bird strike was still unconfirmed...And, of course, good job by the pilots!

Guest CL65 2B19

I am in awe of their composure and ability to put it down in one piece on the hudson the way they did.The DP out of LGA is pretty busy and even on a good day you are A**holes and elbows till over jersey.I am dying to hear the crews side of this. I am extremely proud of them all. Alessandro Dallago

Great job by the pilots. I heard on CNN that the pilot reported a double bird strike...

Absolutely incredible job by the crew on this - to my knowledge this is the first completely successful (no fatalities) water ditching of a large jet.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Simply amazing. The entire flight crew are heros!

Guest EdrickV

Local news says the pilot reported flying into a flock of geese. Passengers interviewed have confirmed that the left engine was destroyed, didn't hear anything about the right engine but they have said that the pilot reported a double bird strike and that they lost power in both engines. It was said they were going to divert to Teterboro but they obviously did not make it. (At 3,200 feet in an A320 with no engines, you don't exactly have a lot of options.) Last live pic showed the plane had been towed to a pier. It's listing to the right quite a bit, though it's hard to say exactly why.

Guest costone

Brilliant job by the crew. I'm reminded how difficult this would have been to execute if it had occured only three hours later under darkness. The only thing that concerned me more about the incident is the lack of aviation knowledge shown by some popular newscasters as they wildly speculate over the facts...

Local news says the pilot reported flying into a flock of geese. Passengers interviewed have confirmed that the left engine was destroyed, didn't hear anything about the right engine but they have said that the pilot reported a double bird strike and that they lost power in both engines. It was said they were going to divert to Teterboro but they obviously did not make it. (At 3,200 feet in an A320 with no engines, you don't exactly have a lot of options.) Last live pic showed the plane had been towed to a pier. It's listing to the right quite a bit, though it's hard to say exactly why.
The left (port side?) engine is gone? If it is listing to the right, then maybe that is because there is more weight on the right side since the other engine is gone??

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've seen videos and such on Flightlevel350.com and I marvelled at how smooth the US Airways pilots set the plane down.Now, I'm absolutely in love with them! :( B) This is incredible. Tabs, you are correct. Right in the Hudson River as well. I can't commend the pilots with strong enough words.These are for the pilots: :( :( :(LOL!A job well done...needless to say I hope to fly them one day!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

"Bravo Zulu" to the pilots and cabin crew! Glad everyone made it out OK.Tim

I can only join those who point out the perfect (yes, I would say perfect) job of the pilots. An Airbus in one piece after that!