Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Miracle on the Hudson

God bless him.It surprises me how one little animal--a goose--can flame out an airplane engine.Forgive my ignorance, but they run all kinds of tests on these engines, including feeding it birds. How come it survives those? Is it because of the greater velocity in real life?

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Like lots in life-being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I face near bird strikes all the time where I fly (ga though). Usually you miss...I saw one this summer that was not so pretty-but ended up not a problem. Most of the time it isn't. Sometimes you win the inverse lottery..

Talk about an extreme case of being very unlucky (for crashing), and yet at the same time, being very lucky (for surviving).You can just imagine the flight crew having visions of the Air Florida disaster going through their head when they had to decide between landing in the freezing cold water versus putting it on the ground.I look forward to reading the cockpit transcripts... I'm sure they'll make for a good read.

This just from Cnn:"More than 56,000 bird strikes were reported to the FAA from 1998 to 2004, according to the group's Web site."...and some complain about the inclusion of "animals" in fsx?!I have two flocks of birds at my fsx local airport thanks to instant scenery!..and yes-I usually see that many, have a warning on atis, and have come somewhat close though with a piston aircraft might be more messy than anything-experienced that at Bar Harbor Maine this summer when a 310 came in landing while I was waiting for my release-cut thru a whole flock of seagulls sending bodies flying towards me-left carnage all over the runway-and he started a go around and then aborted.Was hard taking off dodging all the bloody bird bodies that were left on the runway on takeoff...but was glad all the bodies didn't hit me while I was waiting.Never the less-it was not an on the centerline line takeoff -more a zig zag the whole way as I tried to dodge the carnage...

I wonder did he have the landing lights on after take-off.Peter Sydney Australia

My classmates and I rushed out of class when we heard what happened and I was shocked to see that a plane was floating down the Hudson! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I'm so happy that everyone got out alive. The pilot has skill!The co-pilot is quoted saying that "no one's ever had a successful ditch before. You pulled it off" to the pilot. Aren't ditches usually pretty successful? (Something like 80% i saw in a documentary once)

My classmates and I rushed out of class when we heard what happened and I was shocked to see that a plane was floating down the Hudson! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I'm so happy that everyone got out alive. The pilot has skill!The co-pilot is quoted saying that "no one's ever had a successful ditch before. You pulled it off" to the pilot. Aren't ditches usually pretty successful? (Something like 80% i saw in a documentary once)
I think they lump all the GA statistics in that figure (there are 30-40 GA ditchings a year). The news media reported the last successful commercial ditch was in 1940 but we know how accurate the media is... :(Here is a good link on ditching-http://www.equipped.org/bschiff-ditching.htm

I think they lump all the GA statistics in that figure (there are 30-40 GA ditchings a year). The news media reported the last successful commercial ditch was in 1940 but we know how accurate the media is... :( Here is a good link on ditching-http://www.equipped.org/bschiff-ditching.htm
It's amazing when you think it's a modern Jetliner, ditching in a very busy waterway. Hearing of this accident and the amazing outcome was one of those "warm and fuzzy" feelings that equal watching the U.S. 1980 Olympic Hockey team win the Gold Medal.Regards,John

If Sully is maxed out ,He is worth more than $125 per hour, Great job!

Edited by Tom Allensworth
Copyrighted material. Violation of Forum Rules. Do not do that again.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Would be nice if somebody creates a short flightplan.Abe

Would be nice if somebody creates a short flightplan.Abe
Anyone try to replicate the flight? I tried in the A320 and cut off the engines at 2500 feet after taking off from RW 4 at LGA. I was not able to make it to KTEB or back to KLGA (crashed both times). I was able toditch it in the Hudson about the same place. Boy these sims have god flight models.The pilot made the best choice by ditching the plane in the Hudson.

Paul Gugliotta

Anyone try to replicate the flight? I tried in the A320 and cut off the engines at 2500 feet after taking off from RW 4 at LGA. I was not able to make it to KTEB or back to KLGA (crashed both times). I was able toditch it in the Hudson about the same place. Boy these sims have god flight models.The pilot made the best choice by ditching the plane in the Hudson.
Not only did the Pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger make the right choice, he made history, as in "one for the books"!Read this WSJ article to see whyhttp://online.wsj.com/article/SB123205611103787217.htmlCheers,bt

I tried the flight with the default A321. AT about 1000' AGL, I switched off Engine 1, then a few seconds later, switched off #2. It took four tries to make the Hudson where they landed. Just to complete the day, I flew Flight 1549 to it's intended destination of Charlotte, N.C. I think my landing there was rougher than when the real one hit the Hudson!I would like to shake Captain Sullenberger's hand someday. Magnificent job. But I would also like to shake the hand of his Co-Pilot (Anyone heard the Press mention his name at all?). I am sure he probably played a big part in a successful landing also.Let's not forget the great job the Flight Attendants played in getting everyone safely off the plane, too. I haven't heard anyone in the Press mention them either. Next time I fly, I am going to pay more attention to their pre-flight briefing for the passengers.