Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paulc1

Vista or XP for FSX

Guest Paulc1

First post so be gentle :) - am thinking of getting a new pc for fsx and have an option to have XP installed rather than Vista. My preference would be to stay with XP but is this being a little short sighted in limiting performance etc.

Guest ledzzepplin
First post so be gentle :) - am thinking of getting a new pc for fsx and have an option to have XP installed rather than Vista. My preference would be to stay with XP but is this being a little short sighted in limiting performance etc.
I bought a new computer in October of 07 and chose XP32 over Vista. My decision was based mostly on what I read about Vista here in the forums. Performance with FS9 was very good. Performance with FSX wasn't that good.I just made the switch over to Vista64. For me, I see a noticeable improvement with both FS9 and FSX. Looking back, I wish I would have ordered my system Vista. It would have saved me a lot of time and trouble having to reinstall all my FS programs.

Guest Paulc1
I bought a new computer in October of 07 and chose XP32 over Vista. My decision was based mostly on what I read about Vista here in the forums. Performance with FS9 was very good. Performance with FSX wasn't that good.I just made the switch over to Vista64. For me, I see a noticeable improvement with both FS9 and FSX. Looking back, I wish I would have ordered my system Vista. It would have saved me a lot of time and trouble having to reinstall all my FS programs.
spec would be something like Intel quad 9550 / 8GB ram / 1000GB HD / 2no Nviadia 9800GT 1024mg cards

Guest firehawk44
I use Vista32. DX10 will not work in XP and I like to use the best technology for my high-powered (and expensive) video cards. Microsoft is in the process of improving Vista OS's and higher. They have ended improvements with XP after issuing SP3. I have used both OS's with FSX and FPS in FSX have improved considerably with the Vista OS since the first release of FSX. If you're getting a new PC, go Vista.Jim

spec would be something like Intel quad 9550 / 8GB ram / 1000GB HD / 2no Nviadia 9800GT 1024mg cards
With that much memory, and with 1 GB video, go with a 64 bit, not a 32 bit OS.Either XP or Vista will work for you.

Bert

Guest Paulc1
With that much memory, and with 1 GB video, go with a 64 bit, not a 32 bit OS.Either XP or Vista will work for you.
Many thanks for the replies - will be back to ask more questions no doubt

Guest Nick_N
or maybe Win 7 Beta x64? :->
you sellin something here????LOL!I must agree that although the performance between Vista and W7 in FSX is pretty much the same, overall the beta is by far the best you guys have released on the first shotIt may even entice me to switch if it stays on par.. thats not easy! :( To the OP: with that memory amount you must run a 64bit OS and since XP x64 is getting old now you would probably be better served in the long run on Vista 64.. or as beatle posted the W7 x64 beta but thats not a final product.

Without a doubt, with the specs you posted there is ABSOUTELY no reason not to utilize Vista x64-bit. You will have no problem with performance and you can actually use the 8GB of RAM that you paid for. Also, you eliminate the risk of OOM errors but everything runs just fine on x64. There will be no advantage of using XP on a new system because all but the most bargain-basement system you can buy now-a-days runs Vista without batting an eye.If you are feeling really adventurous I actually recommend Windows 7 Beta x64. Not so much as a hiccup with FS9, FSX or any major addon (trust me I have em all) + less memory usage. But again, it is a beta.Regards,Mike ZT.

or maybe Win 7 Beta x64? :->
Yes! If possible get the new PC without any OS and put the beta on it! Microsoft has a real winner with W7.

Matthew S

Guest Paulc1
Yes! If possible get the new PC without any OS and put the beta on it! Microsoft has a real winner with W7.
unfortunately when it comes to doing things like that I am very much out of my depth / clueless etc so want something that will work straight out of the box with as little hassle as possible.