Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hingham2008

ASA....where is the value?

Guest Hingham2008

I am an avid user of FS9 and recently added ASA upgrade over AS 6.5. I am still trying to figure out why I bothered. It has been nothing but a headache. Today I tried to fly a route in Alaska of PASN St Paul Island to PACD Cold Bay. Great weather...wind..snow etc. After loading ASA...and waiting the enormously long time for it to load I ended up with perfectly blue sky and no weather as to forecast.I finally said "to hell with this"...closed ASA....loaded AS6.5 and ended up (quickly I might add) with a perfect reproduction of the weather as it is "now" happening in Alaska.Someone please tell me what the value of ASA is if in fact you don't end up with the weather as it exists? Why do you recieve all the positive messaging from the program and in reality it has not had any impact on the value of FS9. Well .... enough whining and enough wasting my time trying to understand ASA.....By the way....I reinstalled ASA three times...with and without combining the beta release.....DaveFS9Gateway 5670/AMD Triple Core 8400 2.1ghz4 gbNVidia 8800 GT

Hopefully someone will come along who can ask for techincal details, but I've checked nearly all my flights with NOAA and the Wx has matched so far. I flew into snow yesterday to KGTB, fog into KFAT, and have had many similar experiences all over, even Alaska. Something must not be set right for you. Are you using FSUIPC? Did you uncheck all the boxes for Wx in FSUIPC? What version of FSUIPC? How is your sim set for Wx?Perhaps some screenshots and log files would help.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi Dave,Sorry for the problem. Let's do this:Install ASA and the Beta SP1.Set FSUIPC to default settings and Weather settings Off.Now what happens?What version number is your FSUIPC?I will look into specific airports if need be.Thanks,

Guest Hingham2008
Hi Dave,Sorry for the problem. Let's do this:Install ASA and the Beta SP1.Set FSUIPC to default settings and Weather settings Off.Now what happens?What version number is your FSUIPC?I will look into specific airports if need be.Thanks,
I am using a registered version of FUSIPC 3.85When I started up the ASA with the same plan that AS 6.5 shows the exact weather ASA comes back with scattered clouds and not precip.Two completely different sets of weather and that has been the "deal" all along for me with ASA vs AS 6.5. FS9 is interpreting both programs exactly as it is being "told". Dave

Hi,Did you reset FSUIPC?Are the METARS in ASA and ASv6.5 exactly the same?Which airport can I go to, to test this out at?Is ASA set to Real Time?Is ASA downloading and processing the weather data?Please let me know and will be happy to help you out.Thanks,

Guest Hingham2008
Hi,Did you reset FSUIPC?Are the METARS in ASA and ASv6.5 exactly the same?Which airport can I go to, to test this out at?Is ASA set to Real Time?Is ASA downloading and processing the weather data?Please let me know and will be happy to help you out.Thanks,
Yes. I reset FSUIPC.I started the flight at PACD enroute to PANC.Here's the ASA process;6:09 PM - ASA load commencing...6:09 PM - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License6:09 PM - FS9 Path Value = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\6:09 PM - FS9 My AppData Path Value = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\6:09 PM - FS9 My Docs Path Value = C:\Users\David\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\6:09 PM - ASA settings have been loaded...6:09 PM - Initializing ASA6:09 PM - FS station database update not needed (unchanged)...6:09 PM - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...6:10 PM - Wx Station Database loaded: 10463 station(s)6:10 PM - Airports Database loaded...6:10 PM - Loading Additional Weather Stations...6:10 PM - FSUIPC (version 3.8.5) found and initialized6:10 PM - ASA controls initialized...6:10 PM - ASA v11.0.0.355 Copyright

Here's PACD on my system with ASA in FS9:asa01pw8.jpgasa02af1.jpg

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Here's the AS 6.5 Metar;PACD 162253ZHere's the ASA Metar;Departure (PACD):PACD 172252Z
Call me stupid if you like if I am wrong, but aren't those METAR's from different days, i.e. one is the 16th and the other is from the 17th.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Dave,The 17th is tomorrow and so there is not even data yet for that time period.Is ASA set to Force to Real Time?Is FS set to System time?Are both the time and date correct in your notification box, lower right corner?I get almost the same METAR as Chris.Thanks,

God, I didn't even notice that! :(

- Chris

And I wonder if ASA pulled the December 17th METAR because there was no Jan 17th METAR yet for that time.