Sign in to follow this  
Guest 707Lover

Adding J- and V- routes in FS9 via BGLComp

Guest 707Lover

This is my first posting in the forum.I am about to go blind from reading the Microsoft FS2004BGLCompSDK for regarding ROUTES.I would like to add a new route to my FS9 for AR16 (ILM-SEELO-EMCEE-SNABS-LENDS-PERMT). I am following the instructions provided in the SDK but to no avail. I've added waypoints without any difficulty with the BGLCOMP program but trying to do the same for a new route not listed in FS9 is making me crazy.Its simply not working for me.<H3 style="MARGIN: 8pt 0in 3pt">http://' target="_blank">Route</H3>This element is used to add a route designation to a Waypoint. This element is allowed to contain other data and should not be terminated with

I can't even imagine how you'd do it. I've added waypoints (intersections) without any issue though, that's easy.I'm curious why you want to add a route? If you put the waypoints along the route in there it's still as effective, no? Are you wanting the flight planner to start using this route automatically?I'm just curious, as I can't think of a benefit of have new routes. The MS planner is often pretty poor, but occasionally it works good and even matches RW routes. Personally, I only use it to prepare RW routes obtained from FlightAware.com for export into Active Sky and some add-on aircraft. That is why I like to add new waypoints, but I don't know how the actual routes will help.Looking at some maps, and seeing that AR16 is not a V or J route, maybe the sim will only display V or J routes, but I would think any naming convention would work, so I can't imagine AR not working. Hard to say. AR is an Atlantic Route and AR16 looks to be one only for RNAV ops. I'm sure it's just how your compiling it or writing it for import to BGL. If I had more time I'd try to do it myself.Is K7 the right area code? Did you look for existing routes in the sim within that area to see how they are done? Try to find a round J or V that is already in the sim and decompile it to TXT so you can make sure K7 is right and you are typing it correctly. I learned how to add waypoints by example with decompile tools. I never even looked at the SDK docs.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest 707Lover

The K7 coding for the region is correct although I'm certain one could type anything for the region and it will appear.I want it to show on my FMS the way that other 'current' AR routes show in FS9.

For future reference, this type question really should be made in the 'Scenery' forum... :( From my reading of the SDK, it appears you left out some critical tags: <Previous ... /> and <Next ... /> that encapsulate the data. Also, each WPT must be NAMED and have lat/lon coordinates, magvar, etc.Each entry is separate, and would have <Previous.../> (if not the beginning WPT of a Route) and a <Next.../> (if not the terminating WPT of a Route).If a <Waypoint...</Waypoint> serves as the intersection of more than one Route, then each <Route...<Previous.../><Next.../>.../> should be entered as well.For example, from the NACen_AT9NAMCO.bgl file, we can find this entry for the TBC VOR. As you can see, it is a very busy crossroads! ;)Note that J236 is the terminal WPT on that Route, since there's no <Next.../> entry.

<Waypoint waypointType="VOR"  waypointRegion="K2"  waypointIdent="TBC"  lat="N36 7.27951"  lon="W111 16.17517"  magvar="345.00">  <Route name="V210"	routeType="VICTOR">	<Previous	  waypointType="VOR"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="GCN"	  altitudeMinimum="14500.00F"/>	<Next	  waypointType="NAMED"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="ROUGH"	  altitudeMinimum="12000.00F"/>  </Route>  <Route name="V208"	routeType="VICTOR">	<Previous	  waypointType="NAMED"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="AWIZO"	  altitudeMinimum="9500.00F"/>	<Next	  waypointType="VOR"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="PGA"	  altitudeMinimum="9000.00F"/>  </Route>  <Route name="J76"	routeType="JET">	<Previous	  waypointType="NAMED"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="CORKR"	  altitudeMinimum="18000.00F"/>	<Next	  waypointType="NAMED"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="TANER"	  altitudeMinimum="27000.00F"/>  </Route>  <Route name="J64"	routeType="JET">	<Previous	  waypointType="VOR"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="PGS"	  altitudeMinimum="18000.00F"/>	<Next	  waypointType="NAMED"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="COCAN"	  altitudeMinimum="18000.00F"/>  </Route>  <Route name="J236"	routeType="JET">	<Previous	  waypointType="VOR"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="EED"	  altitudeMinimum="18000.00F"/>  </Route>  <Route name="J128"	routeType="JET">	<Previous	  waypointType="VOR"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="PGS"	  altitudeMinimum="18000.00F"/>	<Next	  waypointType="NAMED"	  waypointRegion="K2"	  waypointIdent="LRAIN"	  altitudeMinimum="20000.00F"/>  </Route></Waypoint>

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think you have it right. Routes are "owned" by waypoints. For a route to be useful, it must have previous and/or next elements. What happens if waypoint A has a route with next being waypoint B, but waypoint B doesn't have a route, or has a route but not previous set to A I don't know. In fact I don't know of anyone who has experimented with routes, though I suppose it has been done. I could see doing the US RNAV Z routes for instance. scott s..

Guest 707Lover

Fr. Bill, et. al.Firstly, I apologize for not posting in the proper forum. I didn't scroll far enough to notice a 'scenery' forum for this type of question.Thank you for your reply and advice. I did attempt using the <Next and <Previous functions to no avail.I did copy and paste the example you've provided, tweaking it to the actual lat/lon and waypoints--still isn't working: When I start at ILM, AR16 does appear, however, it's southerly ending is in the middle of the ocean (i.e., not attached to the waypoint I've indicated.) As a result, no other waypoints appear in the 'string' on this routing.For my routing, I'm attempting the following:ILM - SEELO - EMCEE - SNABS - LENDS - PERMTI have all the correct coordinates and have successfully loaded new waypoints; those being SEELO, EMCEE, SNABS and PERMT which were previously missing in my FS9.So, I tried another way...I created five (5) xml files and converted them to bgl files. Still no success.This is what I have thus far:AR16_1<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><FSDataversion="9.0"xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" > <Waypoint waypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="PERMT"lat="N27 24.85183"lon="W078 56.836"magvar="350.00"><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="LENDS"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route></Waypoint></FSData>AR16_2<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><FSDataversion="9.0"xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" > <Waypoint waypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="LENDS"lat="N29 21.9565"lon="W078 40.20583"magvar="350.00"><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="SNABS"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route></Waypoint></FSData>AR16_3<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><FSDataversion="9.0"xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" > <Waypoint waypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="SNABS"lat="N30 25.21833"lon="W078 31.2215"magvar="350.00"><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="EMCEE"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route></Waypoint></FSData>AR16_4<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><FSDataversion="9.0"xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" > <Waypoint waypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="EMCEE"lat="N30 47.56383"lon="W078 27.55033"magvar="350.00"><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="SEELO"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route></Waypoint></FSData>AR16_5<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><FSDataversion="9.0"xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" > <Waypoint waypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="SEELO"lat="N32 01.4045"lon="W078 15.41716"magvar="350.00"><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="VOR"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="ILM"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route></Waypoint></FSData>As I said, all five (5) files successfully converted into bgl yet none show up when I use the FS9 Flight Planner.I'm at a loss here and admitted, this has me baffled!The following is the whole 'string' all in one file:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><FSDataversion="9.0"xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" > <Waypoint waypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="PERMT"lat="N27 24.85183"lon="W078 56.836"magvar="350.00"><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="LENDS"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/><NextwaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="SNABS"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="EMCEE"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/><NextwaypointType="NAMED"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="SEELO"altitudeMinimum="10000.00F"/></Route><Route name="AR16"routeType="BOTH"><PreviouswaypointType="VOR"waypointRegion="K7"waypointIdent="ILM"altitudeMinimum="1000.00F"/></Route></Waypoint></FSData>Any suggestions or clues that can be provided are most welcomed and appreciated.Thank you again for your guidance.

Hey,I had a question.The Victorways and Jetways for eastern US in FS9 have disappeared. If im flying into BOS or JFK, I just get options for a visual approach and cannot really fly on Jetways. Can someone help me with the file name so I can replace it? I have worked alot of FS9 so I dont want to re-install it. Any help will be appreciated!Thanks!

The waypoints, routes, and ATC control boundaries are in AT9name0.bglscott s..
Thanks Scott for the quick reply!One more question though, sorry for the trouble again, where exactly is this file supposed to be? in the Scenery folder?