Sign in to follow this  

CSF3 or Il-2 Sturmovik the forgotten battles?

Guest DrunkPilot11

I am debating on one of these to buy I have look at reviews and still not satisfied so i am asking you guys what should i buy or what is better to get any help would be greatful.

Guest progrmr

I have CFS3 and while I haven't played it for sometime it was PATHETIC when it came out and for sometime afterwards. It can't even compete with the original IL-2, let alone FB, but I don't have FB so I cannot make a direct comparison. You may want to check the netwings CFS 3 discussion boards for the latest. Also the IL-2 FB forums will be enlightening too.I took CFS 3 off my HD promptly. It was just terrible.

I went out and got CFS3 as soon as it came out. It was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen. I probably should have returned it the same day. But instead, I gave it some time. About 2 weeks later, I deleted it from my drive and now it sits in its case. IMHO, the original CFS was far and away a superior program. I've tried the demo for IL-2 and if I was still in the market for a combat sim, this would rate right up there with Janes. No question, between these two, get IL-2

I have all 3 CFS plus IL2.don't have FB YET. I've enjoyed CFS 2 a lot in the last week or two. I have to say that IL 2 beats them all as far as graphics and the opportunity to get really involved. I enjoy the CFS 2 because it's the only one I've found where you can fly in the Pacific theater of WW 2 there are also lots of missions you can download . so far there are not a lot of addons for IL 2 ver 1.2 which is the latest update. most of the downloadable missions are for the out of the box version. However it is easy to create your own missions in IL 2 at least as far as the quick combat type missions are concerned. I haven't learned how to do the complete mission builder yet.but I've seen some very interesting ones done by others.I'm hoping ubisoft will release some new ones in the near future. especially now that FB has been released. buy IL 2 would be my advice. it's great :)

Guest JonP01

I bought FB on Sunday, after having run IL2 for 8 months. I have no hesitation in saying buy FB. No, I haven't bought CFS3, nor do I intent to. CFS3 seems to have polarised opinion more than any recent sim release, but having carefully read lots of feedback, I would have to side with the people who don't like it. There are just far too many of them to ingore what they say.FB is an excellent upgrade to IL2 and I don't feel cheated in any way that I might have just bought a "super patch" to IL2 instead. If you want by far the most immersive WWII combat flight simulation experience then I think FB is the only option. Great performance too, for a sim that has only just come out. It seems to have been better optimised than IL2. Meaning that FB actually runs slightly better on my 3 month old rig than IL2 does. (If FS9 runs this well I'll be extremely happy indeed).

I did buy CFS3, and no longer try to fly it.Display lockups are common. The scenery textures are made intentionally blurry ( I'm not kidding... they have a focal 'ring' right under the aircraft to display sharper texturing! ).There is no real support for any kind of navigation in the sim. As of yet there are no scenery addons. It is an entirely different sim than the FS series ( unlike CFS2 ), and no scenery or mesh from FS200x will ever be used in it. There may be a means to create scenery in the future, but I suspect little will come of it... it appears scenery cannot be added on, like we do with the FS series... but rather it must entirely replace HUGE files that already exist in the sim. 2 seasons: green and white.The current mesh, landclassing, texturing, and line/poly placement in the sim is pretty bad. I also suspect the scale of aircraft to terrain is wrong.I don't own FB. I did try the IL2 demo, and was impressed by the "immersion" factor of that sim. Sources I trust describe FB as very good.Dick

Guest Staalplaat

I own both sims and I can tell you one thing: you'll only need to buy one. Il-2 FB. period. You can get the original Il-2 as a budgettilte right now if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Other wise, get the new and improved version Il-2 FB.CFS3 never impressed me. When I first installed it I played around with it for 10 minutes and deleted it. Terrible game. After the patch was released I've tried it again. Improved framerates for me but again, the game hasn't got the magic that Il-2 has. Il-2 has it all: the looks, the planes, the gameplay and that special feeling that only the best games have.