Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

Trim and Takeoff Settings

Hi,Just wanted to say I love the MD-11 (FS9 VERSION) and enjoy it greatly but I have a question for anybody more knowledgeable on the subject of takeoffs and trim settings. Somebody asked about this (Forgot who?) before the first patch came out if it was going to be included about how you must immeadietly after TO apply down elevator trim because the plane just about wants to leap off the ground at VR into a 25 to 30 degree up angle.I read this was not happening in FSX version and was curious if others are seeing this pecularity in takeoff with the proper trim settings per the FMS.I hope this makes some sense to somebody and maybe you can instruct me on the proper procedure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is normal for the MD-11.Sincerely,Sean Green

Sean Green

I apologize for the double post I see it was also asked a couple days ago with multiple people saying they saw the same effect on takeoff and are basically not following the trim settings given by the FMC.I also see nobody from PMDG responded with a solution or an affirmation that this is proper behaviour of the aircraft.I was wondering if any of the developers or beta team had any response to this issue.Thanks for your time.Sincerely,Sean Green

Sean Green

In many hours of testing, I never had to push the nose down after rotation. Got to admit I didn't test for aft cg limits and that kind of thing. Don't know what to say to the claim that this is a problem.EDIT: Okay, I think I found what you were referring to (tutorial?). There was a bug in the CG tables that was fixed in the patch update, which in turn changed a few numbers on the load. Regardless of tutorial as written, the aircraft will behave correctly when trim setting is set per MCDU T/O INIT page and SD screen for ENGINES (put the pointer in the middle of the green). The tutorial just hasn't caught up with the patch update, but the simulation itself is okay.

Dan Downs KCRP

but the simulation itself is okay.
No its not, there are too many people in this forum with the same problem to say that for sure. The readings may be correct to the tables (not that I'd know I haven't looked), but the planes feel at rotation is completely different now and just doesn't seem right at all. In the previous version it felt perfect.

Cheers, Andy.

Dan I have a a lot of respect for you here but I have to say there is a problem with the MCDU Trim....Rob

Rob Prest

Guest ashwath

hi,there is definitely a problem with the trim after the update. md11 feels like a space shuttle now...WOW!!! other than me, all my passengers have had a black out at take off. nevertheless, i try to hand fly upon take off and push the yoke hard down to maintain about 15 degrees pitch. this is something that has to be considered for a future update.regards,

Guest PPSFA

I have no problem with the trim, I simply adjust it as needed as the gear/flaps retract and the airspeed increases, thats what pilots do :(

Thats what pilots who have never flown the MD-11 do you mean. The MD-11 auto trims during the seconds after rotation to reduce pilot work load :( :( :(

Cheers, Andy.