Sign in to follow this  
jmbiii

NZWP Doesn't Like C-17's

I like to think I am fairly proficient at AI flight plans, etc. But this one has me stumped.A couple of days ago I thought to do a military flight from Langley AFB (KLFI) to Wheunapi (NZWP), with RON stops along the way - KLFI > KVBG > PHNL > NZWP - and return - NZWP > PHNL > KEDW > KADW> KLFI. I used one of the USAF C-17's from MAIW's Hickam offering. Proper AFCADS in place with parking for MIL_CARGO and C17, M003 at all the stops. TT Tools compiled the flight and everything went great - I followed and/or waited for the C-17 at the stops with either the Toolbox or Traffic View Board. It all went fine until I was watching the C-17 on final to NZWP - it vanished about a quarter mile from touchdown! So I backed up an hour and tried it again. Now the A/C does not show up anywhere around NZ! I thought maybe the A/C file was messed up. But after checking, everything is in place. I checked out the return legs and the C-17 shows up back at Hickam, at Edwards, at Andrews and back at Langley right on schedule. After spending hours checking, rechecking flightplans, AFCADS, aircraft etc. the USAF C-17 would not appear in the skies of New Zealand. So I figured the Aussies should be on good enough terms with the Kiwis to let one of their planes land, and I made a flight plan with the RAAF C-17(MAIW again) from Amberly in Queensland (YAMB) to NZWP. Watched it take off then scooted ahead a few hours and miles and waited at NZWP. It never showed up -nothing - nada. Checked everything at least five or six times. Could find nothing amiss. Then I swapped A/C. I dug out an AI US NAVY Beech King Air C-90. Started from YAMB (put some long range tanks in the Beech :( ) and headed off to New Zealand. Scooted ahead. Waited. Lo and behold the Beech comes in and makes a perfect landing and taxis in to park!I've even tried to make the C-17 start from NZWP and just fly some touch & go. The C-17 does not show up - swapped to the Beech and there it is. The C-17 flies into all the other airports just fine.Sorry this is so long winded, but I'm stumped. Is there a "Bermuda Triangle" ("Lord Howe Island Triangle"?) ? Tomorrow I'm gonna try some other RNZAF airfields.Anyone have other ideas ?JoeFS9 - XP, etc.

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Try using the AFCAD program (by Lee Swordy) and select the Aircraft Editor option. It is under the Tools label.That will display a list of all installed aircraft. Find your C-17, click on it and then look at the Radius it requires for parking.Then check the airport in question to be sure there are several parking spots with a matching or larger radius.Aircraft will often not land if there is no proper parking space available.Hope this may help.

Try using the AFCAD program (by Lee Swordy) and select the Aircraft Editor option. It is under the Tools label.That will display a list of all installed aircraft. Find your C-17, click on it and then look at the Radius it requires for parking.
Thanks, David ! I guess that's what it was. When I changed the radius (with AFCAD) to the 44m for the C-17 it worked. I changed back to the 100.36 feet with AFCAD and it didn't, where it had just been working prior to changing it to meters. I had originally set it up with AFX. Anyhow it works now, and again . . . constant learning from the master.Joe

Thanks, David ! I guess that's what it was. When I changed the radius (with AFCAD) to the 44m for the C-17 it worked. I changed back to the 100.36 feet with AFCAD and it didn't, where it had just been working prior to changing it to meters. I had originally set it up with AFX. Anyhow it works now, and again . . . constant learning from the master.Joe
Since you mention "AFX" I will assume we are dealing with FSX here....I recently went through an exercise of 'activating' a number of cold-war Soviet military basesand sending some Bears, Bisons and other 50's and 60's military aircraft on flights all over the place so I've had alot of recent experience with 'half wingspans' :)FYI, The traffic toolbox explorer display will show the aircraft "half wingspan" when inflight and also the parking space assigned when on the ground.If these parameters are not shown in your explorer, just right-click on the column label bar and put a check-mark in the"Parking" and"Half Wingspan" entries. Whenever I am building new flightplans I always check the airport parking capability for all the airports in my plan.I use ADE to open stock or addon airports and add/adjust the parking as necessary. FSX stock airports are notoriousfor having little of no parking if they aren't major airports, so it's always best to check. It's best to use tools designed for FSX over their FS9 counterparts, when possible. ADE vs AFCAD for instance.I still use TTOOLS for creating AI flightplans but ALWAYS run the TTOOLS-created BGL through a conversionutility to wind up with an FSX-compatible traffic BGL. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Since you mention "AFX" I will assume we are dealing with FSX here.... Paul
No. AFX is a Flight 1 payware AFCAD by Konstantin Kukushkin for both FS9 and FSX.My stuff is all FS9.Joe

No. AFX is a Flight 1 payware AFCAD by Konstantin Kukushkin for both FS9 and FSX.My stuff is all FS9.Joe
Just to clarify - FS2004 uses the model radius to determine the required parking radius.FSX use the "half wing span" method instead of the model radius.You can set up VIP (reserved) parking for the aircraft you are flying in both FS2004 and FSX - using that information. If interested check out my two "guides" for doing so:FSX - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=126946FS2004 - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=125172