Sign in to follow this  
Gumps

Vista64 + FSX SP2 + MultiMon Impossible?

After a bit of reading (apparently not enough) I figured it was time to upgrade from WinXP Home to Vista64 for my FSX machine. My machine has 4Gb of ram installed that I wasn't able to employ, and the OOM villain was beginning to knock on my door. I tried Win7 64 but the necessary drivers for some things were missing...and the V64 drivers didn't work. So, new HDD, and new OS.I was working my way through the load list, controllers, touch screens etc. I use TH2go (3 x 1280x1024) and a 1440x900 monitor on a 8800GTX. I run two more 1440x900 monitors from a 7900 GS. Works fine in XP. Worked fine in Vista 64...until I loaded FSX SP2. After the FSX splash screen appears, a dialog box pops up that says, Invalid Hardware or Driver Detected - "This graphics card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support. This product requires a geForce3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card. Flight Simulator will now exit."I've tried a couple different Nvidia drivers, currently using 185.20. Vista itself seems happy with the extra monitors, so it does not appear to be the issue cited by microsoft having to with "Homogenous multi-adapter". http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929456. It seems tied directly to FSX SP2. Some of my newer addons require SP2, so just going with SP1 doesn't seem like an option.If I disable the second adapter, FSX will start. I even tried disabling the adapter, starting FSX, then enabling the adapter...nice try. It just ignored the 'new' monitors'.I searched the web and found similar reports but no solid solutions.I wonder if there's a way to get FSX to not check...mind it's own business, so to speak. (??)It's not looking real promising but figured maybe someone has solved this. Otherwise, it's back to XP. Geez, I wonder if Microsoft will give me a refund. Ya, right.Thanks in advance for any advice.Noel WE6850 @ 3.88800 GTX + 7900 GSTH2go4Gb RamMSI P35 Platinum Combo MBCH ControllersVista 64FSX SP2

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

One additional item - I did verify that this (FSX with multiple adapters/monitors) works fine in Win7 32 beta. I don't have FSX installed on my Win7 64 beta, not sure there...I do know my touch screen drivers don't work in Win7 64. (All OS's are on different HDD's).So, if nothing else, I guess there's hope for the future and Win7. My problem now is that I'd like to have a working 64 bit OS for FSX and my hardware. I chose Vista 64 over XP 64 because, I figured it would be more advanced in some areas...and it was cheaper.Again, if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Well heck, I feel like I'm talking to myself! I figured someone would have something to say...no one has seen this?I tried some older Vista64 Nvidia drivers for the heck of it. No joy. Tried the last beta drivers too (181.22 as I recall.)I uninstalled FSX SP2, and FSX works fine with multiple adapters and monitors.I was on FSX SP1 for a long time because I read so much about the menu CTD problem. I always fly full screen, so I knew I didn't want those problems. But, with so many new addons 'requiring' SP2, I loaded it...and no problem. On WinXP, that is.Does anyone know what problems I'm likely to encounter if I run, say for example, the PMDG MD-11X or other addons with FSX SP1? What kind of stuff doesn't work?Incidentally, I've added touchscreens lately. Doesn't completely replace using the mouse (yet), but very nice for many things. I'm also using TouchBuddy to control a number of FSX items. Work in progress.Any responses are appreciated...even if it's just condolences.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Well heck, I feel like I'm talking to myself! I figured someone would have something to say...no one has seen this?I tried some older Vista64 Nvidia drivers for the heck of it. No joy. Tried the last beta drivers too (181.22 as I recall.)I uninstalled FSX SP2, and FSX works fine with multiple adapters and monitors.I was on FSX SP1 for a long time because I read so much about the menu CTD problem. I always fly full screen, so I knew I didn't want those problems. But, with so many new addons 'requiring' SP2, I loaded it...and no problem. On WinXP, that is.Does anyone know what problems I'm likely to encounter if I run, say for example, the PMDG MD-11X or other addons with FSX SP1? What kind of stuff doesn't work?Incidentally, I've added touchscreens lately. Doesn't completely replace using the mouse (yet), but very nice for many things. I'm also using TouchBuddy to control a number of FSX items. Work in progress.Any responses are appreciated...even if it's just condolences.Noel WBrisbane
That... looks... awesome!

That... looks... awesome!

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Guest lburn

Hi,I had the same problem. The only way that I fixed it was to replace my 7950 video card.The 7000 cards are not dx10 compatible.I think sp2 and Acceleration are looking for certain shaders not available on these cards.I now run with four monitors on two 8800 cards and everything runs well.Regards,Larry B

Hi,I had the same problem. The only way that I fixed it was to replace my 7950 video card.The 7000 cards are not dx10 compatible.I think sp2 and Acceleration are looking for certain shaders not available on these cards.I now run with four monitors on two 8800 cards and everything runs well.Regards,Larry B
LarryThanks for that info. That is the first report of someone actually running two cards successfully. I'm assuming that you're running Vista too. (??)In a similar vain, yesterday I took a spare 7900 GS and installed it along side the existing 7900 GS. I was at least able to prove to myself that yes, I could run two different graphics adapters without the dreaded FSX dialog box. But the 7900 GS does not have enough horsepower to run TH2go + another monitor.Then I installed the 8800 GTX in the lower PCIe slot...and voila, that worked too.Not so fast. I run TH2go on the 8800 GTX, and when the outside visuals are spread across those three screens, it gets real choppy. Stutters every second or so. This is with a default airplane. I've not optimized the OS yet, but this doesn't look right. I'm starting to wonder if the 8800 GTX doesn't like being 'second fiddle' in the second PCIe slot. I wouldn't have thought it made a difference. (MSI P35 Platinum Combo MB).I swapped the 8800 back to PCIe slot one, and the FSX error dialog box once again prevented FSX from running. Grrrr. Not there yet...but making progress.Based on what you've written, I wonder if I could get away with replacing the 7900 with a later (DirectX10 compatible) card that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, as opposed to the more obvious adding another 8800 GTX. Again, I'm not running the outside visuals on the second card, just panels. And in XP, the 7900 was enough to do that. Hmmm.Thanks again Larry,Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Guest lburn

Noel,I initially used a 8600GT card and it worked fine.I bought it from Newegg for around 50 or 60 dollars US.Regards,Larry B

Noel,I initially used a 8600GT card and it worked fine.I bought it from Newegg for around 50 or 60 dollars US.Regards,Larry B
LarryGood to know...I'm hunting around for an inexpensive solution.Also, can you confirm that this was a Vista issue for you? Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit versions?Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Guest JimBrown
Not so fast. I run TH2go on the 8800 GTX, and when the outside visuals are spread across those three screens, it gets real choppy. Stutters every second or so. This is with a default airplane. I've not optimized the OS yet, but this doesn't look right. I'm starting to wonder if the 8800 GTX doesn't like being 'second fiddle' in the second PCIe slot. I wouldn't have thought it made a difference. (MSI P35 Platinum Combo MB).
Check your MB manual. I think you may find that only one of your PCIE slots runs at 16x. The others are at 1x or 4x. Putting the graphics card in a non-16x slot is probably what caused the above.As for the main problem you are having, I'm guessing that FSX is programmed such that if it detects a DX10 compliant OS and card, it expects the second card to be DX10 compliant as well. I have not seen anything that can change that behaviour. As Larry mentioned, since you're just displaying some 2D stuff on the second card, find the cheapest DX10 compliant card you can and stick it in there. Should fix you right up.It worked under XP because there is no DX10 in XP, so FSX doesn't bother looking for that in the graphics cards.Here's one last thing to try before springing for a new graphics card. Run FSX in XP compatibility mode. Dunno if it will work, but worth a shot.Regards,...jim

Check your MB manual. I think you may find that only one of your PCIE slots runs at 16x. The others are at 1x or 4x. Putting the graphics card in a non-16x slot is probably what caused the above.As for the main problem you are having, I'm guessing that FSX is programmed such that if it detects a DX10 compliant OS and card, it expects the second card to be DX10 compliant as well. I have not seen anything that can change that behaviour. As Larry mentioned, since you're just displaying some 2D stuff on the second card, find the cheapest DX10 compliant card you can and stick it in there. Should fix you right up.It worked under XP because there is no DX10 in XP, so FSX doesn't bother looking for that in the graphics cards.Here's one last thing to try before springing for a new graphics card. Run FSX in XP compatibility mode. Dunno if it will work, but worth a shot.Regards,...jim
JimYou're right about the MB PCIe slots...I looked that up in the manual. Now why didn't I think of that? [Please, I don't need any suggestions from anyone. :-) ]And yes, I think your thoughts regarding DX10 make sense. It certainly works this way in practice. I think FSX is thinking something like this (when the DX10 card is in the 1st PCIe slot):"Say, I see you have a DX10 card there (8800). Great! Wait, who's that with you? (7900) Nope, your buddy is weak, my friend. Friends don't let friends play with weak video cards."But when the 7900 (non-DX10) card is in the 1st slot, the conversation takes a different twist:"Ooooh, 7900! I have not seen someone using that for a main video card for a long time. [Computer thinks to itself, "what a dope".] Well, if you want to try and run FSX with that, go ahead. I do see you have a muscle bound friend, I wonder what he's doing with you...run along and have fun." [Computer snickers to itself and notifies other computers on the internet of owner's gaff.]I did get a 9600 card and put it into the second PCIe slot, and *tada*, success. [sound of champagne cork popping.]All is well with the system now. Oh, except for all of the tweaking and loading I have to do now.Finally, I have successfully migrated from XP 32 to Vista 64, and no animals were harmed in the process. Hehe, that was easy. Not.Thanks Larry and Jim for taking time to post your informative thoughts. Hopefully the next poor slob that runs into this will surface this thread and benefit.And finally, running multiple monitors is well worth it. I have two touchscreen overlays on the way, which will enable all (3) of the monitors with panels. When I get this all nice and tidy, I'll post a picture. Perhaps it will inspire someone else...or scare them away.Best Regards,Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Hopefully the next poor slob that runs into this will surface this thread and benefit.
That would be me! hahahahaha I was having the same problem as well, with Vista 64 and a GTX280/7800GTX.... I guess I will have to look for a cheap DX10 card instead. Thanks for the info!PS. This card should work: Click here ?????

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

That would be me! hahahahaha I was having the same problem as well, with Vista 64 and a GTX280/7800GTX.... I guess I will have to look for a cheap DX10 card instead. Thanks for the info!PS. This card should work: Click here ?????
Heck, I'd think it would work. If I'm not mistaken, the 8000 series cards are all DX10 capable. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong.Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Guest mattriggins

SP2 does not allow certain software accelerations that were allowed in FSX/SP1. I had installed an older Nvidia GT 7600 into my rig to power my PFD/ND and EICAS for Project Magenta, only to get this error. After uninstalling SP2 (going back to SP1) I was back up and running. OR, you could get a better card. Oddly enough, my Nvidia 8800 GT got the same error as the 7600. So i guess even THAT card was not "suffice" for FSX SP2. I haven't seen that many advantages to SP2 to warrant me keeping it and then getting a better card. I only need the lower end card for the project magenta card and unfortunately SP2 even seeing it installed, won't load. So, no thanks SP2! (And with Aces Studio gone, well, not gonna be updated)Matt RigginsVATSIM Pilot, USA-WCoral Airlines, CORAL24/N324CRPilot ID: 908853http://www.my737sim.comhttp://www.mycessnasim.com