Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Knows

one solution to many complaints about problems with 181.xx driver

Guest Jim Knows

There sure are alot of complaints about CTDs with the new nvidia 181.20 drivers. Myself included. However, I did find a solution for myself that might help others....I use Rivatuner v2.09. I only use it to crank up the fans on my 9800GX2. However, upon looking for the CTD solution with these 181.xx drivers, I came across an important tidbit. Apparently to avoid these CTDs with driver 181.20 using RivaTuner, you must get the newer ver 2.22. Reason being because of what it says under the heading: WHAT'S NEW when u go to the RivaTuner website http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner:- "Added ForceWare 181.xx drivers family support"- "Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare drivers. Added databases for ForceWare 180.87, 180.88 and 181.00"I took it from there...problem solved...no more CTD with the 181.20 driver.

Guest Jim Knows

Another little tidbit regarding the 18x.xx video drivers. This time using nHancer.As I described above I have a SINGLE 9800GX2. So does one of my friends Mark. He tried my suggestion as described above. This did improve his situation. Crashes still happened though, but just not as many. Ok, for my friend there were more issues to resolve that went beyong my above suggestion which turned out be the involvement of nHancer.What it turned out to be, was with the newer version or versions of nHancer there is a SLI section. The single 9800GX2 is detected as "SLI SETUP DETECTED", even though we knew the single 9800GX2 is not SLI, its just DUAL GPU. Regardless of the fact that it also said "Sli disabled" So, since it was detecting it as a SLI setup, even though its also indicating its disabled, I guess it must of wanted something from "SLI" because with it on in nHANCER, there are crashes and when its unchecked, no more crashes. Something like that anyways.So, what we did was disabled the SLI from with in nHANCER, or at least we thought we disabled SLI. Turns out, that even though we told nHancer that we did not want SLI checked, when one checks back to see if its gone, its not. It comes right back. And once again, poking around we learned that we have to turn on a little switch to over-write predefined settings devised by the manufacturer or whomever. So, the following steps are for those that have a single 9800GX2, single 4870GX2, single 3870GX2, and finally the 9750GX2. You need to disable the SLI in nHancer so your video card and FSX don't start quarrelling with each other. So, as follows....1 - In the "Applications" window, highlite MS Flight Simulator X or whatever the name is of the FSX settings you had set up in nHancer2 - Click on <OPTIONS>3 - Place a checkmark on "Allow override of predefined settings"4 - Click on the <SLI Mode> tab5 - Click on the PROFILE button6 - Uncheck the box SLI ModeAnother problem solved. Notice the pattern of how these crashes were not the 18x.xx drivers fault. These are good drivers. The 181.20 version is a very good driver that I highly recommend.If anyone IS NOT using RivaTuner nor nHancer, which btw I highly recommend, and are still having problems with FSX using the newer 18x.xx drivers, I would sure like to know about it.

Another little tidbit regarding the 18x.xx video drivers. This time using nHancer.As I described above I have a SINGLE 9800GX2. So does one of my friends Mark. He tried my suggestion as described above. This did improve his situation. Crashes still happened though, but just not as many. Ok, for my friend there were more issues to resolve that went beyong my above suggestion which turned out be the involvement of nHancer.What it turned out to be, was with the newer version or versions of nHancer there is a SLI section. The single 9800GX2 is detected as "SLI SETUP DETECTED", even though we knew the single 9800GX2 is not SLI, its just DUAL GPU. Regardless of the fact that it also said "Sli disabled" So, since it was detecting it as a SLI setup, even though its also indicating its disabled, I guess it must of wanted something from "SLI" because with it on in nHANCER, there are crashes and when its unchecked, no more crashes. Something like that anyways.So, what we did was disabled the SLI from with in nHANCER, or at least we thought we disabled SLI. Turns out, that even though we told nHancer that we did not want SLI checked, when one checks back to see if its gone, its not. It comes right back. And once again, poking around we learned that we have to turn on a little switch to over-write predefined settings devised by the manufacturer or whomever. So, the following steps are for those that have a single 9800GX2, single 4870GX2, single 3870GX2, and finally the 9750GX2. You need to disable the SLI in nHancer so your video card and FSX don't start quarrelling with each other. So, as follows....1 - In the "Applications" window, highlite MS Flight Simulator X or whatever the name is of the FSX settings you had set up in nHancer2 - Click on <OPTIONS>3 - Place a checkmark on "Allow override of predefined settings"4 - Click on the <SLI Mode> tab5 - Click on the PROFILE button6 - Uncheck the box SLI ModeAnother problem solved. Notice the pattern of how these crashes were not the 18x.xx drivers fault. These are good drivers. The 181.20 version is a very good driver that I highly recommend.If anyone IS NOT using RivaTuner nor nHancer, which btw I highly recommend, and are still having problems with FSX using the newer 18x.xx drivers, I would sure like to know about it.
I'm having problems in FSX with the 181.XX drivers on my GFX 260 card. I have RivaTuner, but don't really know how to use it (or even really what it is for, I installed it based on this threads recommendation). I can run FSX for about 20-30 minutes, then it starts stuttering, and I get a video card driver error. Although, sometimes it won't stutter, just crash. Other times, I can run FSX for hours and hours with no problems.Could someone guide me though nHancer install and some common settings that might make things better for me?Quad core Q9550, GFX 260, 4 gig ram, Gigabyte mobo, Vista 64 = constant frustration

Guest Jim Knows
I'm having problems in FSX with the 181.XX drivers on my GFX 260 card. I have RivaTuner, but don't really know how to use it (or even really what it is for, I installed it based on this threads recommendation). I can run FSX for about 20-30 minutes, then it starts stuttering, and I get a video card driver error. Although, sometimes it won't stutter, just crash. Other times, I can run FSX for hours and hours with no problems.Could someone guide me though nHancer install and some common settings that might make things better for me?Quad core Q9550, GFX 260, 4 gig ram, Gigabyte mobo, Vista 64 = constant frustration
Here is a very good link for what u are asking for. Nick N does a very good job of showing and explainiing to you how its done in nHancer: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=156769#156769. Nick N always has valuable information and with this link you will find it equivalent to someone leadfing you by the hand. But thats for nHancer as per your request.But if you want the entire FSX setup guide by Nick N which will serve you very well, click on this link: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=156769#156769

Here is a very good link for what u are asking for. Nick N does a very good job of showing and explainiing to you how its done in nHancer: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=156769#156769. Nick N always has valuable information and with this link you will find it equivalent to someone leadfing you by the hand. But thats for nHancer as per your request.But if you want the entire FSX setup guide by Nick N which will serve you very well, click on this link: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...D=156769#156769
Thanks, I'll dig around and see what I come up with. I appreciate the help.Dondo

Hi Jim,Need your help,I am using a GTX280 card.I recently tried 181.22 (from latest 178.something) and started to experiment long stutters (from 2 min to 30 min after start of flight), then get a CTD with error "Failed to read from file" under FSX. I reverted to the 178.xx driver and all my problems were solved. Can fly for hours.Anyway I still would like to use the 181.22 (shouldn't fix what's already working, true, but the theorical perf increase from 181.22 is interesting - not only for FSX).The problem is I don't run nHancer or RivaTuner. I just have nView desktop thing running, only for providing a quick hotkey for switching from single monitor to dual monitor. Do you have a clue how can I get rid of these stutters/CTD ?

Guest Aviator4life

Jim,Thanks a bunch for taking the time to share your findings regarding the 9800GX2 and Nhancer/SLI Mode.I am currently using the 182.06 drivers but have been experiencing random game crashes and white screen flashes to date regardless of the drivers being used (and I've tried them all up to and including the 182.06's).However, since I made the changes in Nhancer for my my FSX profile to disable the mistaken SLI setup detection of my 9800GX2, these random game crashes and white screen flashes have completely gone away.Couldn't believe my luck when I saw this thread while surfing the boards here and gave it shot. I installed GEX, USA & Canada UTX, and REX at the turn of the new year and even though I've followed Nick's guide/recommendations for getting everyone to play nice together, this was the last remaining issue I had with FSX, albeit an annoying one to say the least.I am now enjoying some great eye-candy with excellent framerates and no issues thanks to the both of you.Just wanted to take a second and express my gratitude. It is this sort of willingness to help others WITHOUT the help being solicited first that makes surfing the boards here worthwhile imho. You never know when you will stumble across something that really makes a difference to your flight-simming.Thank you gents and best regards,"Aviator4life" :(

Guest Jim Knows

nooon,Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. I have been away.I want to ask you some questions to try to pinpoint how best I can help you because many possibilities come to mind.1 - Do you have computer games? And if yes, do you have long stutters, then an CTD like you are having in FSX when playing these games?If no, download/install this monitoring software ( http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php ). There is a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. What I need from you are temperature readings of your video card for both idle mode and under load.Once installed, load it up and keep it loaded. Then, go into FSX and get into a "free flight" and takeoff. Continue flying until you crash to your desktop. Then, from your CPUID Hardware Monitor, I'd like you to post all 3 temperature readings from your video card.If your CTD usually freezes up your system, then as soon as you get one long stutter, get out of FSX and get the temperature readings.2 - Are the issues repeating themselves if you just stay in single display mode without any switching?3 - If your 2nd monitor and any settings for it were disconnected/removed, does the problem repeat itself?4 - The link further above of NICK N's tuning guide, did you go that route to see if it fixed the problem?