Sign in to follow this  
asanal

No more OOM in FSX DX10 mode

I have good PC and close to two years I was experiencing OOM , black screen and many graphic problems ,specially when I switch Ctrl+Alt+Enter window mode /none window mode. Paul Gollnick,Manager PMDGCustomer and Technical Support was helping me to find a solution. Last week he sent me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186 link regarding solving Vista problems for black screen issues. I downloaded and nothing happened , PMDG 747X and MD11-x continues experiencing structure disappearing at dusk time and some airport terminal sceneries,also.I informed Paul, he asked me if I am using FSX DX10 mode. I said no. Then I decided to try DX10 mode.BINGO all problems disappeared . I made two flights with MD11X and 747X in both flights at dusk time I didn't experience any structurer disappearance or any black screen. Utilizing FSX DX10 solved my problems. DX10 also improved performance.Only minor problems I did have experience I cannot use nHancer and UT Traffic . I think both softwares are not complain with FSX DX10. I have confidence nHancer, must have a solution,.I suggest try to utilize FSX DX10,and make sure download Microsoft Vista Hot fix 953186, also in FSX Graphic settings select Anisotropic filtering and check AA settings. I hope this info will help you ,also.Sanal :(

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Guest swanrunner

Sanal, Thank you so much for posting the results of your fixes from PMDG Support. I have suffered the dreaded black screen and have seen many posts on it but not really any solutions. I implemented everything you mentioned and after I installed the hot fix and fired up the MD11 hit the alt key and went into graphic options to change those as mentioned. When I exited back to flt sim the black screen reared its ugly head. Shut down FSX to activate DX10 preview and after re start my graphics have never looked so good. I had tried DX10 back when Acceleration first came out but did not like there was a lot of flickering of runway and taxiway strips so I have not wanted to use it. Since then I have installed UTX,XGraphics, and ASA. No more flicker and I switched in and out of alt key menu several times with no black screen. My airborne views now look almost photo real. I am taking a slight hit in frame rates but am running sliders wide open so I can live with it as long as the black screen problem is gone since high altitude frame rate is still good. Thanks again John

Sanal,Many thanks for identifying this fix.I shall not be applying the hot fix because the Microsoft text saysWindows Vista hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.I am always very cautious about applying hot fixes. Instead I prefer to wait for software updates. Just a matter of trust :( Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Sanal,Many thanks for identifying this fix.I shall not be applying the hot fix because the Microsoft text saysWindows Vista hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.I am always very cautious about applying hot fixes. Instead I prefer to wait for software updates. Just a matter of trust :( Cheers, Richard
THe Only thing I am sure of is that problems in last two years are gone. No more OOM, black screens and many ugly graphics issues, and many others. Please look at my two picture. First one with DX9 and second one DX10, FSX "AA" ."Anisotopic" filtering selection and Microsoft hotfix.Regards

Ahmet Sanal

Sorry,pictures changed positions. 747X with half disappeared is in FSX DX9 mode and 747X without any problems with FSX DX10.

Ahmet Sanal

Hello,Now I've tested the DX10 Preview option too. It's unbelievable how smooth you can switch between fullscreen and windowed mode.But there is a negative point too. Many airports, especially the airports of the "German airports X" series from Aerosoft are not DX10-compatible - very sad.Patric

This is the solution that I posted in one of the other threads about black screens and/or possible fixes and whatnot. I told Paul via e-mail, and glad it's helping others out. It's somewhat annoying, as I take a sizeable FPS hit from DX10, but it does look nice and I can actually fly the thing. I do get to add Bloom though with absolutely no slowdown, but then again I'm not sure if I even like it, haha.THe biggest downside is the lack of nHancer, which makes some things look worse and again the big FPS hit. Also no nav lights or beacons for the most part, which isn't the end of the world I suppose.Right now what I've been doing is copying a FS9 version of the fsx.cfg file when I want to fly almost anything and copying a DX10 version if I want to fly the MD-11 or 747. Works well enough.Does anyone know if they plan to patch FSX a bit more for DX10, or are they done with the platform? I can't recall what I've read.-stefan

Stefan,I believe that great things will be delivered with the combination of FS XI and Windows 7. But we are going to have to wait a while.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Swanrunner,I installed the hotfixes (there were 2) and activated DX10 and selected Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing within FSX and it has fixed my black screen problems.However, I still have the flickering runway textures problem - try for yourself at KMIA (Miami) on runway 26 L or 26R (on the threshold).I have uninstalled nHancer but the problem persists.I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?Thanks,Pete

Sanal, Thank you so much for posting the results of your fixes from PMDG Support. I have suffered the dreaded black screen and have seen many posts on it but not really any solutions. I implemented everything you mentioned and after I installed the hot fix and fired up the MD11 hit the alt key and went into graphic options to change those as mentioned. When I exited back to flt sim the black screen reared its ugly head. Shut down FSX to activate DX10 preview and after re start my graphics have never looked so good. I had tried DX10 back when Acceleration first came out but did not like there was a lot of flickering of runway and taxiway strips so I have not wanted to use it. Since then I have installed UTX,XGraphics, and ASA. No more flicker and I switched in and out of alt key menu several times with no black screen. My airborne views now look almost photo real. I am taking a slight hit in frame rates but am running sliders wide open so I can live with it as long as the black screen problem is gone since high altitude frame rate is still good. Thanks again John

Hi Swanrunner,I installed the hotfixes (there were 2) and activated DX10 and selected Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing within FSX and it has fixed my black screen problems.However, I still have the flickering runway textures problem - try for yourself at KMIA (Miami) on runway 26 L or 26R (on the threshold).I have uninstalled nHancer but the problem persists.I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?Thanks,Pete
Some airports have it, some don't. You'll also notice that your nav and beacon lights are rarely visible. It's either a nvidia issue or a DX10 issue, and as far as I know, there's no way around it, save updated drivers. Until the 181.20 drivers, apparently the flickering taxiways were much much worse. I guess just hold out hope that updated drivers fix it.-stefan

Some airports have it, some don't. You'll also notice that your nav and beacon lights are rarely visible. It's either a nvidia issue or a DX10 issue, and as far as I know, there's no way around it, save updated drivers. Until the 181.20 drivers, apparently the flickering taxiways were much much worse. I guess just hold out hope that updated drivers fix it.-stefan
I cumulated around 10 hours flight with Md-11 x in DX10 mode. I don't think I will ever go back to DX9. I have experiencing some times Nav lights problem, but its many times better then screen black and window/none window and graphic/scenery problems.Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

I cumulated around 10 hours flight with Md-11 x in DX10 mode. I don't think I will ever go back to DX9. I have experiencing some times Nav lights problem, but its many times better then screen black and window/none window and graphic/scenery problems.Sanal
Maybe rhetorical question but how do you set FSX to DX10 Preview mode?

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Maybe rhetorical question but how do you set FSX to DX10 Preview mode?
That is a good question. I just purchased a new PC and downloaded FSX. There were no DX10 review any longer at Graphic setting. Some search , FSX sp 1 doesn't have DX10 review. SP2 has DX10 review. I didn't downloaded yet., I am sure it must be there.Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

That is a good question. I just purchased a new PC and downloaded FSX. There were no DX10 review any longer at Graphic setting. Some search , FSX sp 1 doesn't have DX10 review. SP2 has DX10 review. I didn't downloaded yet., I am sure it must be there.Sanal
Service Pack 2 contains Directx 10 review . http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack2.aspx "Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2 addresses these post-release customer concerns (see the Readme file for details):Multiplayer compatibility with Flight Simulator X: Acceleration DirectX 10 previewIMPORTANT: If you have already installed Flight Simulator X: Acceleration expansion pack, do not install Service Pack 2.IMPORTANT: You must install Service Pack 1 before installing Service Pack 2."

Ahmet Sanal

Guest danc444

I wonder if someone would anser my dumb questions? I was having the black screen problem, read this thread and activated DX10 and selected Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing all all was fixed. My question is: I have no idea what DX10, Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing is. Could dsomeone either enlighten me or point me in the right direction.Thanks.Dan Cole