Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dimitri Aloko

Overclocking Advice

Guest Dimitri Aloko

Hi all,First of all thanks for the people participating in theses forums, I've learned a lot by reading you guys ! In fact my FSX experience really shine since I read Nick_N setup guide, wow amazing improvement here !I just bought a new system a week ago, and FSX is running great but I might need an extra juice mainly due to a few addons coming :( So here it is :Intel C2D 8400 stepping A Revision E0MB Asus P5Q3 Latest Bios nov 2008Ram X3KVR1333D3N9/2G2GB 256M x 64-Bit PC3-10600CL9 240-Pin DIMM http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/32434_Ki...GB_1333MHz.aspxRunning Stock Intel CPU FanRunning XP64Bits SP2 all updates.So far I've only installed EPU6 Engine that came with MB, it's a power saving utility which manage CPU power. there is also an overclocking utility software but I havent tried it yet.My question is how can I tune my system for overclocking ?Should I use the AI Overclocking utility program ?What settings would you recommend to begin with ?The thing I dont really understand is the link between 64Bit OS, CPU FSB and Ram :( Thanks for any help, I hope this post will be useful for others too.Dimitri.

Guest Tom R

Well, step one is a good CPU cooler. The stock Intel cooler just wont cut it.Try the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7.You can find it on newegg.com

Guest Dimitri Aloko
Well, step one is a good CPU cooler. The stock Intel cooler just wont cut it.Try the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7.You can find it on newegg.com
Thanks, Ill get a new one tomorrow and report here.With the Cooler you mentionned, what settings should I try as a basic overclocking ?

Guest D17S

Do not use any program to overclock. Use your mobo's bios settings, only. Once you get your cooler, your only task will be to reset 2 settings in the bios. The front side buss (FSB) and the CPU's core voltage (Vcore). Your CPU has a multiplier of 9X. That sets the CPU speed to 9x (FSB). At your default 333Mhz FSB, your CPU is running at 9x333=3.0Ghz. Your initial target is to increase your FSB to 400Mhz. That'll drive your CPU at 9x400=3.6Ghz. Get a trial copy of Everest and run their system stability test. Monitor the temp graph. Do some research on that CPU's max temps. The 1st gen core2s had max temps of 100C. Anything around 80C was fine. Your CPU will need a higher Vcore to run at this faster speed. Initially, let the bios Auto function set Vcore. If the CPU will not run at 3.6, you may have to manually set Vcore. Again, do some research on the max allowable volts for that CPU. The old core2 maxVcore was 1.5v. 3.6 should be an easy run with that CPU. You can also increase your ram speed to its rated 1333Mhz. Might be fun to play with this too, if only to prove to yourself that it has absolutely no effect!

Guest Dimitri Aloko
Do not use any program to overclock. Use your mobo's bios settings, only. Once you get your cooler, your only task will be to reset 2 settings in the bios. The front side buss (FSB) and the CPU's core voltage (Vcore). Your CPU has a multiplier of 9X. That sets the CPU speed to 9x (FSB). At your default 333Mhz FSB, your CPU is running at 9x333=3.0Ghz. Your initial target is to increase your FSB to 400Mhz. That'll drive your CPU at 9x400=3.6Ghz. Get a trial copy of Everest and run their system stability test. Monitor the temp graph. Do some research on that CPU's max temps. The 1st gen core2s had max temps of 100C. Anything around 80C was fine. Your CPU will need a higher Vcore to run at this faster speed. Initially, let the bios Auto function set Vcore. If the CPU will not run at 3.6, you may have to manually set Vcore. Again, do some research on the max allowable volts for that CPU. The old core2 maxVcore was 1.5v. 3.6 should be an easy run with that CPU. You can also increase your ram speed to its rated 1333Mhz. Might be fun to play with this too, if only to prove to yourself that it has absolutely no effect!
Thanks, I bought the cooler this morning, will install it later today and report back here.Dimitri.

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier or I would have suggested a different cooler. I'm running an e8500 with an Asus Rampage Formula and 4G G.skills 1066 DDR2. With a Thermalright Extreme 120 air cooler I am running 4.2 Ghz STABLE.

Thanks, I bought the cooler this morning, will install it later today and report back here.Dimitri.

Guest D17S

Yea, I agree, but he'd already bought the cooler. The thermalright ultra 120 is the one to get. With that cooler, any of those dual core penryns will do 4G+, Front Side Buss (FSB) willing. However, even with that lighter duty cooler, 3.6 should be dooable. That'll keep the FSB to a set-and-forget 400Mhz. That 442Mhz FSB (to get 4.2Ghz with an E85) is right out there "on the edge" of both the CPU's and the FSB's capability. I'd go with little steps, especially first for a new O/Cer.

Guest Dimitri Aloko

oh well, I will try to OC with the first one, will see later about the thermaltake if I need the extra power.Ill try the 3.6 Ghz first with automatic Vcore, 400FSB and X9 mutliplier and report back here.Thanks for your help, appreciate that.Dimitri.

Guest D17S

Get your "gauges" tool setup (everest). Never set a new power level without watching EGT (the CPU temperatures) and fuel pressure (CPU voltage). Check out RPM too (CPU clock speed). It will likely be 2.4Ghz at cruise (low load. ie, emailing, etc) and pop up to 3.6 when in a climb (hi load. ie, FS). This is Intel's speedstep an action. Speedstep is good. Save a tree.