Sign in to follow this  
remind

Updating Video Card, which is better?

Hi allGot a Dell XPS system that came with a 3870x2 card, not impressed with it's performance, although found it more relaiable than the Nvidia 8800 GTS I have in my work system, for running FSXBut with 3870x2 when I turn on Dx10 preview, I get a drop in frame rates (8 to 14fps drop in at same airport and settings) and performance, never got that with the two Nvidia cards I have used for FSX, 8800 GTS and 8600, in fact it was the opposite. I went with the 397- in new system as the Nvida cards on my computer I use for work, kept crashing and Dell couldn't find anything wrong, changed everything from MB to Memory sticks etc.Done usual thing of trying out different versions of driversI know a little how to overlock it, as my XPS 730 system can be overclocked and Dell has tutorial videos on Youtube on how to do it.So I am thinking of upgrading to a 4000 series card but was after others views on if I should go for the 4850 x2 or 4870x2 To me the 4870x2 is the way to go.One other thing, I want to run duel monitors as all these cards canb do but in FSX the FPS drope is about 50% if you have on a 2nd monitor a 2nd view say to the left of cockpit open.I'm told the duel to Triple head to go is the possible answer to that issue.Thank in advancePhil

Hi PhilIn my opinion if you MUST choose between the ATI 4850x2 and the ATI 4870x2 for FSX then you should most definitely go with the GTX260 Core216 or maybe even the new GTX285... :( A couple of things here:1. SLI/Crossfire and x2 type cards bring no benefit to FSX, except perhaps for 30" screens. You are much better off going with the best single gpu card you can afford.2. Nvidia cards run approx. 10 to 20% better than ATI cards, especially so in heavy weather and scenery. For this reason Nvidia cards are recommended for FSX over ATI cards.3. FSX is a CPU limited game so a decent GPU needs and wants a decent CPU and vice versa. A CPU determines your FPS, the GPU determines how pretty and shiny it all looks. That is just how FSX is.Konrad

Konrad

I agree with everything Sharrow said. Go with the GTX260 or 280.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Thanks for replies and info guysI check out Tom's hwardware site, I think I've been there before, sounds familar.Trying to understand it, but I take it the higher scores the better, gee ATI cards don't rate well on that site.Even the 8800GTX rates better than the 3870x2I have a Ge Force 8800 GTX 768mb 384bit GDDR3 card, I got it for my other XPS system I use mainly for work, ( I'm self employed)Yet this card always caused trouble and didn't perform any better than the ATI 3870 is currently doing, well maybe a bit better as I've said, Dell tech and I checked system fully and they changed MB, CPU, HD, Ram at no cost, but what I have not done is tried this card in newer XPS system, I read the other day the Nvidia 180 series drivers are better than the 170 series, you guys finding this to be the case,?There was one 170 series driver that stopped after running any game especially FSX after 10 or so minutes.You suggest I go with the GTX 260 or 280, but they don't score as well as the 8800 GTXWhat about this one, which appears very new? GTX 295 or is that the one Sharrow you meant as the new one?http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...0noiCjCPDnCin9DOn the cpu side, I have a Quad core Intel extreme cpu @ 3.00ghz and 4gb ddr3 ram.Which both can be overclocked, been doing some overclocking with video card with Rivatune and a program called 3Dmark V to check what I change is still stable.But as Sharrow said, CPU effects FPS, so next overclocking will be CPU. Thanks again guysCheersPhil

The 8800 GTX 768mb 384bit GDDR3 is not a bad card at all for FSX - maybe a bit old now but still pulls its weight. I would certainly try it in the new system if I were you.Do you play a lot of other AAA titles on a 24" or larger monitor? If so then the new GTX295 (dual GPU) may be worth a look, but, again the dual card is not going to offer much more, if anything, in FSX over a comparable single gpu card.If I were you, given your cpu and the oc you will be looking at, I would go with the new 55nm GTX260 216 or the new GTX285 (which is the next gen GTX280). Both are single gpu cards.180.48 series Foreware is the way to go at the moment.

Konrad

The 8800 GTX 768mb 384bit GDDR3 is not a bad card at all for FSX - maybe a bit old now but still pulls its weight. I would certainly try it in the new system if I were you.Do you play a lot of other AAA titles on a 24" or larger monitor? If so then the new GTX295 (dual GPU) may be worth a look, but, again the dual card is not going to offer much more, if anything, in FSX over a comparable single gpu card.If I were you, given your cpu and the oc you will be looking at, I would go with the new 55nm GTX260 216 or the new GTX285 (which is the next gen GTX280). Both are single gpu cards.180.48 series Foreware is the way to go at the moment.
Hi Sharrow, yep that is what I did, put the 8800 GTX in system last night, had not toruble running it, although got rid of the blurries when running DX10 preview, frame rates basically little change, but as people have said here CPU alters Frame rates.Yes I do run a few AAA titles on a 24 inch monitor, I want to run duel monitors, have a 20 inch Dell Flat screen, e.g Left monitor has a left cockpit view and main moniotor has forward cockpit view.Others have told me, only way I could run that is with "Duel or Triple head to go" as when you have two FSX windows open and extend desktop, ouch frame rate killer.And their right about Frame rate hit, it's basically 50% less but if Frame rates are down to CPU, then this Duel head to go won't help will it, Anyone here use one of these Duel or Triple head things?Although then why would I get such a hit on Frame rates runnign duel monitors? Maybe it is also down to Video card?They seem expensive, more than a Very Good video card.Anyway I do some research on that product and check out the GTX260 or 285ThanksPhil

Hi Sharrow, yep that is what I did, put the 8800 GTX in system last night, had not toruble running it, although got rid of the blurries when running DX10 preview, frame rates basically little change, but as people have said here CPU alters Frame rates.
Hi PhilNow that you have done that where's the CPU at 4GHz already?? You should have little problem getting your C2Q extreme to 4GHz and this will give you a very decent increase in FSX FPS.btw, have you read Nick's guide here?Do a search for Triple Head 2 Go on the avsim hw forum - there are lots of posts about it and the impact it has on FPS. Some say lots, others say not so much. I do not use it so have no first hand experience and yes, it is very expensive. I also understand it is preferable to have at least two 2 monitors with the SAME screen res. Have you considered TrackIR perhaps?FSX in Windowed mode is also one of those things that some can (apparently) run without too much issue and others cannot due to the FPS hit. Try it and see. If you want to use 2 monitors for FSX (without TH2G) then windowed mode with undocked windows dragged across to the second screen is the most viable option. Again do a search for Multiple Monitors with FSX on the hw forum.

Konrad

Hi PhilNow that you have done that where's the CPU at 4GHz already?? You should have little problem getting your C2Q extreme to 4GHz and this will give you a very decent increase in FSX FPS.btw, have you read Nick's guide here?Do a search for Triple Head 2 Go on the avsim hw forum - there are lots of posts about it and the impact it has on FPS. Some say lots, others say not so much. I do not use it so have no first hand experience and yes, it is very expensive. I also understand it is preferable to have at least two 2 monitors with the SAME screen res. Have you considered TrackIR perhaps?FSX in Windowed mode is also one of those things that some can (apparently) run without too much issue and others cannot due to the FPS hit. Try it and see. If you want to use 2 monitors for FSX (without TH2G) then windowed mode with undocked windows dragged across to the second screen is the most viable option. Again do a search for Multiple Monitors with FSX on the hw forum.
Hi SharrowOnly looking at gaming system now, been busy with work, which in these times is good to say.Going to have a go at overlocking CPU either this evening or tommrrowI'll have a read of Nicks guide, thanks for link.Yes I've looked at Track R, is in my mind as one option as is Duel head to go. Don't need the triple but if I do go down that path I might as well get triple, as the duel appears only to be VGA, although I did see on one page a DVI version, but not yet found where one is dol, probably been succeded by the tripe version, who know I may add a 3rd monitor one day.I've done the extended to other monitor bit ands then in FSX opened another view and locked it and drag it across to left monitor, that was with Radeon card, that is how I knew frame rates dropped. As your asking the system to run two windows of FSX at once basically.Thanks again for your post and info.Went to check out the 180.48 drivers (got the latest installed currenlty, 181.20) and found a link at Nvidia site.http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_cuda_learn.html#gamesSometing I should have a read up on as it mentions running multi Monitors, although from my brief read of page, I don't think kFSX is a game it will help, but who knows.CheersPhil

But wasn't it pointless to go above 8800GT for FSX? I think I have read that in these forums.

But wasn't it pointless to go above 8800GT for FSX? I think I have read that in these forums.
When paired up with a non oc'd dual core or one of the slower quads, yes it is a bit pointless for FSX. When paired up with an extreme quad core at or near 4GHz it starts to make sense to upgrade to a GTX260 etc.Makes a lot of sense for other AAA titles (which the OP plays) so overall it is a good upgrade in my opinion.

Konrad